Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
That's what I don't get Robinson was on the committee who changed the rule, you think his team would suffer because of it

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I give it a month for Bellamy, Hasler, Robinson, Toovey and McGuire all whinge about it and the rule is scrapped

Sadly, I think you're right. The refs either need to stick with it or not even bother in the first place.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Sadly, I think you're right. The refs either need to stick with it or not even bother in the first place.

Judging by last year, where they basically abandoned cleaning up the ruck for the n'th year in a row, I suspect it'll be back to Storm ruck speeds by April.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Once the new rules get scrapped (like they usually are), hopefully we start taking wrestling seriously, cause the Broncos have been pretty bad at it.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...es-next-fullback/story-fnp0lyn6-1227201257412

DARIUS Boyd has given Jordan Kahu his seal of approval as Brisbane’s next fullback, declaring the often-injured talent has proven he has the mental strength to handle a critical position.

Boyd last night showed how far removed he was from the abrasive personality that confused fans and media for a decade, helping launch the NRL season on Auckland’s harbour. Boyd is set to miss the first half of this season due to an achilles injury and Kahu will be given first chance at being his fullback replacement.

Kahu has been training in the role almost exclusively but a formal decision will not be made until after the trials.
Kahu will be Brisbane’s fifth fullback since 2013.
The Broncos have used Corey Norman, Josh Hoffman, Ben Barba and Justin Hodges regularly as fullbacks in the past two seasons.
Kahu is the NRL’s unluckiest player.
He suffered two season-ending knee injuries in back to back pre-seasons and then was injured in the trials again last year and missed several weeks.

“He has come back through so many injuries he must have a great passion and love for the game and you respect that more once you have had your own hardships,” Boyd said.
“This is my first serious injury and I’m only eight weeks into it and already I have had difficult moments.
“He has been through three (injuries) already and hasn’t had the chance to show his skills.
“Touch wood he doesn’t get an injury again and he has real good crack at that fullback spot and show what he can do.
“I know he will do a good job for us (as a fullback).
“Once I get back to training I will be there to offer advice to him and have a chat if he wants.”
Kahu has shown during sporadic NRL appearances that he has the playmaking and running skills to be a first grade fullback.

The 24-year-old was a late call-up to the Broncos’ finals match against North Queensland last season and scored two impressive tries.
The Broncos are resting him from tomorrow’s NRL Nines tournament because of his injury history.
While Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett says Lachlan Maranta is still contending for the position, it is Kahu catching bombs and playing sweeper in defence at Brisbane’s training sessions.
Boyd revealed he removed his moon boot this week but was still walking with a slight limp.
He said he remained hopeful of playing an Origin game but it would not be the first.
“I don’t want to put a timeline on it at the moment but I have a goal in my own head,” Boyd said.
“I don’t want to put pressure on myself to come back because this is a serious injury.
“Once I see the doctor again I might have a better idea.
“I can’t imagine I would be available for the first Origin because I need to play a bit of football to press for a spot and I doubt that will happen by then.”

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
So it sounds like Bennett is gonna use a utility off the bench.. it also sounds like it's out of Waddell, Parcell, K.Nikorima & J.Nikorima.. I wonder who will get first crack, probably Waddell, knowing old mate Wayne.

1. Kahu
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Hodges (c)
5. Copley
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Waddell
15. Glenn
16. Gavet
17. Garbutt

I guess we're looking at something like this.. bit of a shame that Oates won't get a bench spot.

Edit: With that being said, a full season of Queensland Cup playing 60+ minutes a game will be great for the likes of Oates & J.Wallace.

Last edited:
Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
I'd have Oates on the bench over Garbutt or Glenn. Jayden should be the utility, if we absolutely have to have one.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I'd have Oates on the bench over Garbutt or Glenn. Jayden should be the utility, if we absolutely have to have one.

Then we have a bench with only 1 prop.

Bennett will select Waddell. Jayden will play U/20s.

No point crying over it I suppose. Focus on the positives - Waddell's got great energy, good defensive.

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
Saw something interesting yesterday. When I was selecting my NRL fantasy side I saw jack reed was available to be picked as a back rower. He has never been in that category before and I read that the creators/whatever ask the club what position the players will play. Maybe Copley is closer to usurping that centre roll than we think....or maybe not lol

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
You'll also notice that copley's player profile States he's a fullback and Centre. . Not wing. Maybe he is. . Interesting.

Reed did come off the bench last year for us too though. Maybe that's why he's "back row"

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Gosh our pack looks good now though. . Great ball skilled players there. Garbutt even can move. . Blair's offloading, parkers's offloading.. gillett is skillful, thaiday will be a punching ram out wide, gavet aggressive through the middle. . Much optimism

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
It would be a dream come true if Reed is not in the team and Dale is left centre, I guess Maranta would just slot on to the right wing until Boyd comes back, then move Kahu to right wing.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Copley's best position is definitely centre, I don't really want to see him on the wing, his hands under the high ball were pretty terrible last year.

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
I can see Bennett doing something similar to last year with hodges dropping back to fullback and Copley moves to centre and Kahu hops on the wing when we are attacking

Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013
I can see Bennett doing something similar to last year with hodges dropping back to fullback and Copley moves to centre and Kahu hops on the wing when we are attacking

According to the Boyd article talking about Kahu, Kahu himself has been doing a lot of the sweeping plays, which would imply that there won't be any swapping around positions.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • lynx000
  • pennywisealfie
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Wolfie
  • Alec
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • Galco
  • bingale16
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Harry Sack
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.