Broncos - 2015 Discussion

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It's a conspiracy against you man. But no, you're right, everything sucks at the Broncos and we'll never sign another superstar again! We will also never find a young superstar to bring to our club because of Gee. Also, SACK GRIFFIN!

You forgot to sack white

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I saw the co-captaincy as more of a stop-gap option.. maybe that's just me, I honestly thought it was a stop-gap until Smith came in 2015, but that's obviously not the case, perhaps it's just until 2016, at which point we will sign he who shall not be named, and make him captain.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
hahahahaha you think barba didn't fall in our lap? this time last year we were content with josh dugan.

Hard to be content with someone you hadn't signed. And before we get on to the 'he fell in our lap' train again, there's another club just done the highway that wanted him, his brother was even playing for them at the time

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
As far as I know, they were seeking dispensation from the NRL for JYY's contract/salary. Not sure how that went?

Despite the odds, I still believe he will make a return to first grade. Will be a different player no doubt but he's shown immense fortitude to make it this far. You can't keep a true champion down. Just give him time.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Expectations for next year?

I want to see a base gameplan that sets a platform for the season, not the erratic trash we've dished up for so long.

To be able to win the games we should win convincingly and a return to the default feeling of us being well in with a shot against the best.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It depends on the coaching. I don't think we'll be good enough to compete for the premiership, but we could start really building towards one in the near future seasons.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I want to see this team run out in round 1. I'm only considering players who have currently signed (and Hannant since he hasn't officially left yet, and im still hopeful the club will come to their senses and offer the polar bear a reasonable contract).

1. Milford - clearly his best position, give him the room to move and watch the kid carve up.

2. Hoffman - he is a winger and a bloody good one. He is not a fullback, certainly not a 5/8. He just needs to learj and accept that. There is nothingnwrong with being a winger. They stillnhave an important role

3. Copley - He had a good year in 2014. He just needs some time in the same position. He is a strike weapon for us.

4. Hodges - the best position for him in 2015. Im ok if he has a more roaming role though

5. Vidot - has been invaluable for us on the wing... But for love of God, will someone teach him to catch a bomb.

6. Barba - I honestly think he is our best option at 5/8. I think he has the potential to make a really good 5/8, it takes time to make the transition properly though, and I think Griffin set his transition back by not playing him from round 1. I look forward to seeing him after a full pre-season, and hopefully Locky can give him some help during the pre-season (and Milford as well for that matter)

7. Hunt - had a really good year, but he does have some Work to do during the pre-season. Namely kicking and closing out games. Maybe we could convice Locky to work with him too. (damn I miss that guy in a Broncos jersey).

8. McGuire - he has become our number one prop. Tough, aggressive, we need more like him.

9. McCullough - Mainly due to lack of options, but we need him to find a way to give faster services out of dummy half.

10. Hannant - I think we will get the best out of Hannant by starting him. We will have a more ballanced side as well.

11. Glenn - he needs to get back to running good lines. He should follow Barba and wait for the inside balls.

12. Oates - I think we would be better off with him starting.

13. Parker - This guy is heart and sole of this team. Needs Milford to sniff around him waiting for an offload.

14. Gillett - I think we have always got the best out of him as an impact player.

15. Kennedy - Hopefully he was having a case of new club jitters and can get back to the form that saw him on the verge of QLD selecton a few years ago.

16. Thaiday - I think Sammy could be the idea impact forward. Might also serve as a wakeup call for him.

17. Garbutt - I haven't seen much of him, but what I have seen I liked.

------------------------------------

On another note: I want Kearney to join Griffin in the unemployment line. I think we should do whatever it takes to get Gilmeister as our defensive coach, teams he has coached in the past have been good defensively. If not him, then maybe Tunza... But whoever we get needs to teach them line speed, and using the shoulders. Enough of this fucking arm grabbing shirts grabbing shit. Get off the line quickly and use your shoulder to complete the tackle, it is still legal as long as you also use your arms.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
On another note: I want Kearney to join Griffin in the unemployment line. I think we should do whatever it takes to get Gilmeister as our defensive coach, teams he has coached in the past have been good defensively. If not him, then maybe Tunza... But whoever we get needs to teach them line speed, and using the shoulders. Enough of this ****ing arm grabbing shirts grabbing ****. Get off the line quickly and use your shoulder to complete the tackle, it is still legal as long as you also use your arms.

Sacked by the Titans today.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Gillmeister or bring Rhino home for me. Either will be fine as defensive coach

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Gillmeister or bring Rhino home for me. Either will be fine as defensive coach

I would love Gilly to teach the players how to make a good tackle to the ribs/lower torso.

A good shot to the ribs/lower torso is hard to get over, especially when you're getting hit there repeatedly.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
It's good that we got some very good positives to take out of this year and we can go into next year feeling more confident about ourselves. Although we were eliminated in the first week of the finals just to make the 8 was a fair effort and not many tipped us to make the finals at the start of the year. We're also starting to build a good side for the future.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The big thing I want to notice next year is, I don't want to hear a single word about apparent "cliques" within the team. If players can't buy in to a team culture they can leave, regardless of who they are.

Watching the panthers this season you can see how much they all genuinely like and believe in each other. The broncos seem awkward and uneasy next to each other. Very little faith that the guy next to them will do his job.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I would love Gilly to teach the players how to make a good tackle to the ribs/lower torso.

A good shot to the ribs/lower torso is hard to get over, especially when you're getting hit there repeatedly.

There is so much more to the scope of being a modern defensive coach than just relating your 1990s reputation for "being a good tackler".

Wrestling and groundwork weren't even invented in Gilly's time.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Things we need to work on

1. Glenn & Gillett - Defence - **** me, they are the two worst defenders on our team and they are second rowers
2. Vidot - Catching practice - enough said
3. Thaiday - How to run intimidating lines again. He barley looks threatening these days
4. McCullough - Where the **** did his form earlier in the year go? As soon as Granville signed for the cowboys he took his foot off the gas and got lazy again with his service from dummy half. More runs with the ball are needed to
5. Hunt, Milford & Barba - General kicking game needs to be improved. Especially when closing out games

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Can we talk jerseys for 2015.

Done some searching around the traps. It seems only Broncos, Argentina national rugby team and Saracens Rugby used Nike as a manufactrer. Looks as if over the past few years we have rehashed a number of Argentinian rugby jersey designs. I assume this is cheaper or something? Anyway the trend seems to be geometric patterns. I reckon the Argentina 2015 away jersey would be a killer design in our line-up.

Maybe as a 7s jersey, with a combination of gradient Maroon and Yellow:

New-Argentina-Away-Rugby-Shirt-2014-15.jpg

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
For 2015:

Home: Current design has grown on me. But three year cycle is probably due for a redesign?
Away: Sucks so hard. What about something a bit different like dark blue or something.
Heritage: 1994 diamonds throwback please :-)

Unread

Active Now

• marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.