Broncos - 2015 Discussion

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I understand that the salary cap is an issue for us and that there isn't any real exciting players off contract but things could still get interesting.

I remember I never saw Wallace leaving so abruptly. Barba, Milford, and Scotty Prince all got signed before their contracts were up.

Anything could happen. A few disgruntled club/player relationships could find some new surprises heading to the broncos, and a new coach could be having the "you'll be playing q cup this season, feel free to look else where" talks with a few players.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I got a feeling we won't sign Boyd, therefore Hoffman won't be leaving, but Hannant may be pushed out the door (Hopefully not). However if Hoffman was to leave, our strongest team would be as shown below (otherwise he would probably take a wing spot)

1. Barba/Milford
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu (I see Kahu taking Hodges' spot once he retires)
6. Milford/Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant (If he was to leave, I think we would get Packer playing off the Bench with Kennedy starting)
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Garbutt
16. Kennedy
17. Oates

*I wouldn't mind giving Barba a shot at fullback again under Bennett if he is slimmed down and full of confidence. Him at his devastating best from fullback would be lethal.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I got a feeling we won't sign Boyd, therefore Hoffman won't be leaving, but Hannant may be pushed out the door (Hopefully not). However if Hoffman was to leave, our strongest team would be as shown below (otherwise he would probably take a wing spot)

1. Barba/Milford
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu (I see Kahu taking Hodges' spot once he retires)
6. Milford/Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant (If he was to leave, I think we would get Packer playing off the Bench with Kennedy starting)
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Garbutt
16. Kennedy
17. Oates

*I wouldn't mind giving Barba a shot at fullback again under Bennett if he is slimmed down and full of confidence. Him at his devastating best from fullback would be lethal.

Now that is the sort of team I would love to see.

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
Does anyone actually believe the NRL will register Packer? Seriously? And even if they did do you think the Broncos would sign someone who just got out of jail for punching someone on the ground and then stomping on them while on a night out?

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Does anyone actually believe the NRL will register Packer? Seriously? And even if they did do you think the Broncos would sign someone who just got out of jail for punching someone on the ground and then stomping on them while on a night out?

I don't think he will be registered at least for the 2015 season.

J

johnny87

BRL Player
Nov 17, 2013
I really think next year could be our breakout year. It'll take few rounds for the boys to gel as a unit but I really think we can be a force next year

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Next year will hopefully be a year where we have strike weapons all across the park. For the first time in a while, we'll have genuine superstars as well as soon to be future superstars all over the park, not just one here and there.

We'll have game-breakers in key areas that we were lacking in recent years. For a while, we've really just relied on Hodges, and now Hunt this year, but next year, we'll have more options, making us a very dangerous proposition.

The team I named above looks like we have the right balance of youth, experience, speed, mobility, strength up front through some bigger props, x factor, and a coach who can get a bunch of individuals playing as a team for each other and at their full potential.

J

johnny87

BRL Player
Nov 17, 2013
I think Wayne won't muck around. Meaning that he won't play favorites. If somebody's playing crap he'll tell them and because we'll have depth in all positions it'll make competition

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I think we all agree that Parker should be playing lock next year, with McGuire +1 playing at prop.. not sure who I'd be starting in the back row out of Glenn, Thaiday & Gillett though.. based on form, Glenn and Thaiday have been our 2 best back rowers this year, Gillett was junk.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think we all agree that Parker should be playing lock next year, with McGuire +1 playing at prop.. not sure who I'd be starting in the back row out of Glenn, Thaiday & Gillett though.. based on form, Glenn and Thaiday have been our 2 best back rowers this year, Gillett was junk.

I wouldn't say Gillett has been bad, his first half of the year was amazing, close to the best back rower in the comp. Although his second half wasn't as good I wouldn't say it was horrible, because the drop in form was caused by injury and the teams form as a whole.

J

johnny87

BRL Player
Nov 17, 2013
I wouldn't say Gillett has been bad, his first half of the year was amazing, close to the best back rower in the comp. Although his second half wasn't as good I wouldn't say it was horrible, because the drop in form was caused by injury and the teams form as a whole.

On the interchange bench as an impact player? He'll be able break through tired forwards

J

johnny87

BRL Player
Nov 17, 2013
Just out of curiosity. Other than Ben hunt do we other goal kickers coming through the pipeline?

dtmtrano

dtmtrano

BRL Player
Apr 25, 2014
After watching Kahu's game vs. Cowboys, I think he is a better fit than Maranta on the wing. We all understand that Maranta is a favourite son of the Broncos, and he is safe under the high ball, but I think kahu has more to offer. Even though we havent seen much of his aeriel prowess, i think he has the potential to defuse bombs and score off bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B1E3DI7fzA

If Hoffman does happen to stay, I'd say keep him on the wing or at least swap with Copley into centre, which will then push Kahu out.
But in all honesty, Hoffman should stay. If he was willing enough to play 5/8 (knowing that he wants to get his hands on the ball), I think he'll be fine with playing on the winger... I mean he can always just interchange with either barba or milford whilst in defence...

And I think with the form Glenn has been in, its best for him to play off the bench. I also think Ben Hannant wont stay, I think with the fact that he only has a few years left, he would wanna maximise his salaries at the Titans... and im quite sure he lives on the gold coast? Other than that, we have a strong team! Here's my preferred team:

1. Milford - can lurk around the offloads by Garbutt and Parker. Needs to work on defense.
2. Vidot - invaluable to us.
3. Copley - we all know what he can do. Improve his defence especially when he gets beaten with the inside step and he'll be gun.
4. Hodges/Kahu - perhaps rest hodges and give a rotation between him and kahu? Really wanna see kahu play!
5. Hoffman/Kahu/Maranta - as mentioned above.
6. Barba/Milford/Kahu/Nikorima - barba will flourish in my opinion. His kicking game can improve in the offseason and his defence isnt too bad as well. Mind you... he did play his whole Toyota Cup season at 5/8, and im pree sure he kicked goals... Lets hope he can take over Corey Parker.
7. Hunt - no brainer
8. McGuire - no brainer. lets hope he doesnt leave....
9. McCullough - yea hes been off but he was great at the start of the season!
10. Garbutt - with the bulk and frame, I think we need him in the starting lineup. Lets hope Wayne does wonders!
11. Thaiday - think thaiday needs to return to running at the edge.
12. Gillett - origin slump... we all know his potential.
13. Parker - being tucked into the field offers him to offload around the ruck.
14. Glenn - impact player off bench. Hopefully he runs them lines he used to run
15. Kennedy - will improve despite his injury. His attitude has changed although he hasnt seem like the gun forward at the Roosters.
16. Oates - with improved defensive work, he'll definitely challenge Gillett.
17. Hala/Wallace/Dodds

Juniors to consider:
- joe ofahengaue
- francis molo
- jai arrow
- ajuma adams
- george fai
- jordan drew

I think cameron cullen is leaving.... Wat a shame... Im pree sure he represented Australian Schoolboys! Oh and on a side note, does anyone happen to know what happened to Aaron Whitchurch - he was quite gun, and look at the size of him!
Anyways, hope you like my selected team! Can't wait for next season!

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
We saw a bit of Kahu brilliance under the bomb last season I think, if memory serves.

Maranta is the safe option, but if we want a genuine try scorer with some play making abilities on the wing, we'd definitely roll with Kahu.

Edit: Found it - @2:14

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tark

Sep 15, 2014
I would like to see this side run out round 1.

1 Milford
2 Hoffman / Eden / M Barba
3 Copley
4 hodges
5 Vidot / Kahu
6 Barba
7 Hunt
8 McGuire
9 McCollough
10 Hannant / Kennedy
11 Glenn
12 Gillett
13 Parker

14 Thaiday
15 Oates
16 Hannant / Kennedy
17 Garbutt

I don't think we will get Darius next year with the knights refusing to pay out any of his contract. As good as Vidot has been on kick returns this year he really needs to work on defusing bombs/catching the ball when the try line is open. Hopefully Kahu can keep pressure on for a wing spot.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think Wayne won't muck around. Meaning that he won't play favorites. If somebody's playing crap he'll tell them and because we'll have depth in all positions it'll make competition

Bennett is like every other coach in the league ... he will play his favourites, and his favourites will survive the axe longer.

People seem to have a romanticised view of Bennett (maybe because Griffin finally got the sack, i don't know). He played his favourites in his first stint at the Broncos, he played his favourites in his time at the Dragons and he played his favourites (and in the case of one of them, refused to drop him) in his time at the Knights.

it's a fact of life.

and before someone rips me a new one for saying something other than Bennett will solve all our problems, this isn't meant to be a criticism of him. if you did a thorough review of all coaches in the game, i'm sure you will find they have all played their favourites (and took longer to drop them) at some stage.

Unread

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • bert_lifts
  • Lozza
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.