Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Cullen's size really counted against him and he didn't have the skills to compensate for it. I reckon he could make a really good hooker if he can improve his defence. Has good instincts just needs time to make that adjustment.

Whitchurch underwent serious back surgery in 2012 and it really affected him. Had a pretty forgettable 2013 but was one of the few shining lights for the Dolphins this year & he should definitely be invited to train with the first grade team.

Here's my take on what the squad may look like...

Brisbane Broncos Squad
Ben Barba
Dale Copley
Mitchell Dodds
Greg Eden
Mitch Garbutt
Matt Gillett
Alex Glenn
David Hala
Ben Hannant
Justin Hodges
Josh Hoffman
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Martin Kennedy
Todd Lowrie
Lachlan Maranta
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Anthony Milford
Corey Oates
Corey Parker
Jack Reed
David Stagg
Sam Thaiday
Daniel Vidot
Jarrod Wallace
Travis Waddell

NYC Bolters
Ajuma Adams
Elijah Alick
Jai Arrow
Jayden Berrell
Paul Byrnes
Jordan Drew
Brett Greinke
Francis Molo
Jayden Nikorima
Kodi Nikorima
Joe Ofahengaue
Ash Taylor

ISC Bolters
Carlin Anderson
Mitchell Frei
Jon Green
Rod Griffin
Darren Nicholls
Matt Parcell
Zach Strasser
Aaron Whitchurch

Would be interested to see who @1910 believes should be nominated from each affiliate.

Out of all our outside backs, Kahu is the most naturally gifted and most talented. I have seen quite a bit of him coming through and I must say, he was the best, most complete fullback I had ever seen. It really was a shame that injury has set him back a few years, otherwise, he would of been a superstar by now. We all no how good KHunt was, but in my opinion Kahu was a better fullback.

Due to injury he has lost a fair bit of speed, agility, footwork and elusiveness, but it was great to see Kahu against the Cowboys. The way he took on Michael Morgan on the outside, a noted speedster, was exciting to watch. We haven't had an outside back who can just pin the ears back and take his opposition on. The way he sized up his opposition, shows he is a true footballer. It was great to see still backs his ability despite his injury concerns.

I hope that he stays injury free, can build some confidence, and that Bennett gives him a run. Hopefully with some luck he can string together some consecutive games in first grade. Similar to Hunt and Copley, hopefully Kahu can cement a spot in the team, becoming a fine first grader while showcasing his immense talent.

Last edited:
We got Frei back?

He's been in the mix for an NRL debut for a while now hasn't he?

Nothing official yet. My list is basically all just conjecture at this stage.

However, the Seagulls are one of our affiliates so I see no reason why we wouldn't offer him a contract at this stage. He's been very good this season.

Nothing official yet. My list is basically all just conjecture at this stage.

However, the Seagulls are one of our affiliates so I see no reason why we wouldn't offer him a contract at this stage. He's been very good this season.

and he's a good goalkicker....

Personally, I'd like to see Matt Seamark given a go, even at hooker. He's a goalkicker too....

Out of all our outside backs, Kahu is the most naturally gifted and most talented. I have seen quite a bit of him coming through and I must say, he was the best, most complete fullback I had ever seen. It really was a shame that injury has set him back a few years, otherwise, he would of been a superstar by now. We all no how good KHunt was, but in my opinion Kahu was a better fullback.

Due to injury he has lost a fair bit of speed, agility, footwork and elusiveness, but it was great to see Kahu against the Cowboys. The way he took on Michael Morgan on the outside, a noted speedster, was exciting to watch. We haven't had an outside back who can just pin the ears back and take his opposition on. The way he sized up his opposition, shows he is a true footballer. It was great to see still backs his ability despite his injury concerns.

I hope that he stays injury free, can build some confidence, and that Bennett gives him a run. Hopefully with some luck he can string together some consecutive games in first grade. Similar to Hunt and Copley, hopefully Kahu can cement a spot in the team, becoming a fine first grader while showcasing his immense talent.

Yeah man, to see Kahu in full flight after Hodges awesome kick return was the highlight of the game, and shows he is class in that occasion, with everything on the line, to back himself. Ditto with Copley's ball.

Pity Sims ruined the game with his late hit on Hodgo and Parker missed the kick. We score next and Cowboys would have found it pretty tough to win that game twice.

and he's a good goalkicker....

Personally, I'd like to see Matt Seamark given a go, even at hooker. He's a goalkicker too....

I honestly think we need someone in the side that is a genuine goal kicker. Obviously they can't be rubbish in their position but we need to sort out the goal kicking and fast. It has already cost us numerous games and will cost us finals spots in the future

I don't think we've even got a genuinely good goal kicker at the club.

Ben Hannant is still un signed so I wouldn't be putting him anyones team until he has signed the dotted line

My team:
1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Mcguire
9. Macca
10. Packer if we sign him / Kennedy 2nd pick
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillet
15. Oates
16 & 17. Kennedy, Hannant, Garbutt, Packer, Hannant if he stays

What I wanna see next year

1. Milford
2. Hoffman or Kahu
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot or Kahu
6. Barba or Taylor
7. Hunt
8. Kennedy
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Oates
12. Gillett or Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Thaiday or Gillett
15. Garbutt (Given that he is good)
16. Glenn
17. Hannant or Molo

18. Waddell (maybe on the bench if macca can't perform for 80)
19. Hala (backup forward)
20. Taylor (If Barba starts)
21. Molo (If hannant is re-signed)
22. Maranta (backup wing)
23. Kahu (given that vidot and Hoffman are the wingers)
24. Nikorima (backup to Hunt, Barba and Milford)
25. Eden(backup to the backups)
26. Ofangengue (debut in origin time)
27. Adams (train with 1st grade all season, debut origin time 2016)
28. Dodds (would be great if recovers from injury)
29. Frei (debut come origin time)
30. J Nikorima (future outside back for broncos)
31. Drew (future centre when hodges retires)

I'll post a detailed team closer to the day. I hope the rumours are true about Boyd and Packer. Is it true that Boyd would be willing to take a pay cut to come north? I also want Packer. We were outplayed in the forwards on Saturday and it's been a consistent pattern against a lot of the top sides. We need strength and aggression. We also need experience, particularly in the backline. Only Hodges and Barba to a lesser extent have big match experience. We need more of it and if Boyd returns we will. It does make a difference, people.

If we get Packer we can make some changes to the forward pack. Personally, I wouldn't persist with Gillett, Glenn and Thaiday. Yes, they're talented and yes, they're world beaters on their day but we need a change there - whether it's a positional change or new blood, I'm not sure. If we get Packer, then Parker can go back to the back row (yeah yeah I know what the stats say but I stand by my opinion. He is playing out position, regardless of how well he plays, and it's affecting his captaincy and gold kicking, imo).

I do expect Bennett to make changes though. The captaincy issue, final halves combination, the backline positions and the make-up of the forward pack are all things I'm really look forward to seeing.

I'll post a detailed team closer to the day. I hope the rumours are true about Boyd and Packer. Is it true that Boyd would be willing to take a pay cut to come north? I also want Packer. We were outplayed in the forwards on Saturday and it's been a consistent pattern against a lot of the top sides. We need strength and aggression. We also need experience, particularly in the backline. Only Hodges and Barba to a lesser extent have big match experience. We need more of it and if Boyd returns we will. It does make a difference, people.

If we get Packer we can make some changes to the forward pack. Personally, I wouldn't persist with Gillett, Glenn and Thaiday. Yes, they're talented and yes, they're world beaters on their day but we need a change there - whether it's a positional change or new blood, I'm not sure. If we get Packer, then Parker can go back to the back row (yeah yeah I know what the stats say but I stand by my opinion. He is playing out position, regardless of how well he plays, and it's affecting his captaincy and gold kicking, imo).

I do expect Bennett to make changes though. The captaincy issue, final halves combination, the backline positions and the make-up of the forward pack are all things I'm really look forward to seeing.

I'm sure Packers average of 80m a game (in his best season to date) is better than what Hannant can offer the team.

And If Boyd comes he had better not take a spine position

Last edited:
Plenty of options for next year.

1. Kahu
2. Hoffman
3. Copely
4. Hodges
5. Drew
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Dodds
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Kennedy
15. Gillett
16. Oates
17. Molo

Vidot, Barba, and Hannant released to free up salary cap

I think Milford will be 5/8 so don't know how you fit Barba into the team. Kahu will be a better ball handling fullback than Hoffman and safer than Barba providing his handling is better than his last match

shuffling the deck chairs and debating who should play in the 6 or the 1 or 14 ect ect is pointless imo ... what I want to see from 2015 is a team that looks like it spends time together at training during the week .. a team that executes with the pace and precision of the sides we'll be watching over the next three weeks.. A team that imposes itself on matches rather than coming out passive & sullen every other week.. basically everything the team hasn't been over the last three years .. that would do for now.

I'm sure Packers average of 80m a game (in his best season to date) is better than what Hannant can offer the team.

And I'd Boyd comes he had better not take a spine position

Stats aren't everything. It's why I'd rather one run from David Hala than 10 from Martin Kennedy. judged solely on stats though, Marty is awesome. We'll have to disagree about Hannant. If he stays then great, if not I won't be too upset.

I doubt Boyd will take a spine position but if it's best for the team, I wouldn't be against it. Our spine is anything but settled and we shouldn't rule anything out. Hodges, Hoffman, Boyd (if he returns), Barba, Milford, Hunt and the junior talent are now a year older. Like I said, looking forward to it. Exciting stuff.

shuffling the deck chairs and debating who should play in the 6 or the 1 or 14 ect ect is pointless imo ... what I want to see from 2015 is a team that looks like it spends time together at training during the week .. a team that executes with the pace and precision of the sides we'll be watching over the next three weeks.. A team that imposes itself on matches rather than coming out passive & sullen every other week.. basically everything the team hasn't been over the last three years .. that would do for now.

To be fair it took them all season to perfect the rabble we have seen the last couple of weeks

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Mr Fourex
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • Manifesto
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Old Mate
  • Pablo
  • Morkel
  • theshed
  • Big Del
  • Tim K
  • Howie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • Dexter
  • Griffo
  • Broncosgirl
  • heartly87
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.