Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
all that we need from Wayne is to fix what's broken: ruck defence, lack of structure and effective use of the bench.

And being able to score tries from our own half every once in a while. Hey, Boyd can do that.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Looking forward to hearing news during the pre season, has the date for the start of pre season been announced yet?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
After the latest rumours of Merrin leaving St George, I think he should be our top target this off-season, far greater priority than Boyd or Packer.

Imagine this team, if Hoffman sticks around.

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Merrin
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Thaiday
15. Kennedy
16. Garbutt
17. Oates

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
After the latest rumours of Merrin leaving St George, I think he should be our top target this off-season, far greater priority than Boyd or Packer.

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Merrin
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Thaiday
15. Kennedy
16. Garbutt
17. Oates

Now that is a good team, just still not convinced about Barba at 5/8, I would rather switch Barba and Milford. The good thing is we also have a lot of depth, with lots of young talent, which is great.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Merrin
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Thaiday
15. Kennedy
16. Garbutt
17. Oates

That is a pretty good team, I would however start Thaiday or Oates at the expense of Gillett or Glenn. Barba has been better at 5/8 then fullback this season however with a new coach, a new gameplan...... not having Hoffman in the spine. Maybe we should look at Barba being shifted back to fullback...

U

unnerv1ng

NYC Player
Mar 19, 2014
Offload Glenn for Merrin in the back row. Kennedy starting with a decent off season with Wayne. Molo onto the bench

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
That is a pretty good team, I would however start Thaiday or Oates at the expense of Gillett or Glenn. Barba has been better at 5/8 then fullback this season however with a new coach, a new gameplan...... not having Hoffman in the spine. Maybe we should look at Barba being shifted back to fullback...

It certainly shouldn't be Alex Glenn if you ask me, he's been our most consistent back rower this season, and he's done it down the left with Hoggman for the first half of the season and Barba who's new to the position in First-Grade for the second half of the season, I'd love to see him hitting holes off some quality ball from Hunt / Milford and an improved Barba.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
What is with the Barba love around here? He has been ordinary at best and is expendable.
We bought Milford to be 5/8 and Barba will struggle to make 1st grade

S

sus

QCup Player
Aug 20, 2013
What is with the Barba love around here? He has been ordinary at best and is expendable.

ill begrudgingly conceed here... i definitely had the rose-coloured specs on when Barbs signed, thought some sunshine and less 'doggies doggies bro' fans would do him the world of good, but at his age its just as much about the image of that swagger and he's not ready to settle with maturity into a #6 role like a great fullback once did at this great club.. unfortunately that means also he's unlikely to return to his dizzying 2012 highs (unless he gets a new full-back tatt and starts a new EB crew QLD chapter... or moves back to a suburban sydney club, or maybe the gold coast... )

...which shits me, but yeah, will be pretty surprised (not necessarily disappointed) if he actually sees the run on side next year... esp with a fit hodges, Boyd notwithstanding (but hoffman staying put)

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Bulldogs are paying for half of Barba's salary for 2015. He either performs or he gets the flick as Wayne won't want 600K a year on him for 16/17.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Merrin won't fix our problems in the front row. Playing him there would be pretty much the same as playing Parker at prop. Both are lock forwards, who are better suited at lock rather than prop. We need, bigger and taller blokes in the front row, not mobile back rowers playing up front.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
As for Barba, I blame the Broncos gameplan/tactics for his poor form. The tactic to bulk him up was idiotic, while our attacking structures haven't given him opportunities. He hasn't been given the time and space to be able to do anything. On top of that, the injury concerns as well as the fact he is playing at a new club has contributed to his lack of confidence and therefore form.

I still prefer him at fullback rather than at five-eighth. He had a poor season, however he still managed to score 8 tries this season. That is pretty high up in comparison to other players (Halves/Fullbacks). Hunt scored 13, GI only scored 10, Slater 12, Tomkins 13, Moylan 8, Mini 15 (most were from the wing) etc.

I came across an interesting article:

Manly Brett Stewart out on top as No. 1 tryscoring fullback ahead of 200th game for Sea Eagles

Now if you look at the top tryscoring fullbacks in terms of strike rate, Stewart is on top at about 73%, with Barba second at about 66%. However, considering Barba's poor season due to the reasons discussed above, if you take away all his Broncos games and tries, he statistically is the best attacking fullback with a strike rate of about 74%, which suggests, with proper gameplans, structures and tactics to involve him, he is exactly the fullback we need. At his devastating best, he is better than any fullback at our club.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I agree with everything you said and I think if Barba got his speed and confidence back, and Bennett can fix our attacking structures he would be back to career best.

I just wanted to point out that though, 8 tries is decent but I imagine most were scored while he was playing at 6.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

He had a better season than Corey Norman did in 2012-2013 (or probably ever will).

He's a class player. I want him there for the big games. He plays best off the back of other people's brilliance.

He found the line against NQ to get us back in the game. That was a good effort to get there. He knew where to be when Hodges was firing and rallying the troops.

Jarryd Hayne was godlike in 2009 (like Barba in 2012) and pretty much went missing until 2014.

Barba and Milford sweeping around for the second man play with Ben Hunt terrorising the short side and big forwards. Bring on 2015

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
If you want a fullback with similar deficiencies at a fraction of the cost then go for Kodi Nikorima for next year. You all saw what he is capable of in the nines and has been playing okay at fullback in the 20s.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Harry Sack
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Strop
  • Santa
  • leon.bott
  • The Don
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.