Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I don't think we've even got a genuinely good goal kicker at the club.

That's not true according to Paul White. According to him there is literally NOTHING we can do that we aren't already in every single facet of the game, including goal-kicking. We have experts that cover that. Our goalkicking is apparently perfect, according to the club. So there...

I got shouted down when I dared posit your opinion earlier in the season, after pointing out that no less than 6 lost games over the past 2 seasons came down to poor goal-kicking.

Apparently 6 lost games on goal-kicking alone isn't a concern... I mean it would have made the difference between playing semi-finals football last year and possibly top 4 this year, but that ain't that important is it?

I wonder what Hook's opinion on that, might be in hindsight?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
shuffling the deck chairs and debating who should play in the 6 or the 1 or 14 ect ect is pointless imo ... what I want to see from 2015 is a team that looks like it spends time together at training during the week .. a team that executes with the pace and precision of the sides we'll be watching over the next three weeks.. A team that imposes itself on matches rather than coming out passive & sullen every other week.. basically everything the team hasn't been over the last three years .. that would do for now.

Awesome post, Bull Shark and a great point. It's why I think Milford wouldn't have made much difference this year even if we had him. Sure he may have jagged us a game or two here and there but the flaws in the team would have been present like the slow starts, unable to maintain pressure, capitalising on winning opportunities etc.

It doesn't matter if you have the best young talent, best forward, etc - they won't produce if they're playing under a bloke who's happy regardless as long as the effort is there.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I'm sure Packers average of 80m a game (in his best season to date) is better than what Hannant can offer the team.

And I'd Boyd comes he had better not take a spine position

One thing that frustrates me about Hannant is that he can't catch a ball unless it's passed straight to his chest, and even then he struggles. It's actually frustrated me to the point I have given up on caring about whether he gets a new contract with us or not.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Our major flaw is not being able to match big forward packs while they are still fresh. We do not need go forward in the first 20 minutes or straight after halftime, we need a brick wall to stop their go forward. Our attack will take care of the rest

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Our major flaw is not being able to match big forward packs while they are still fresh. We do not need go forward in the first 20 minutes or straight after halftime, we need a brick wall to stop their go forward. Our attack will take care of the rest

So really what we need to fix is our defence. Defence has been terrible at the Broncos for a long time. Even when Bennett was in charge. A big forward wouldn't hurt, hopefully Kennedy and Garbutt can develop into the big forwards we need.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I think this is a very telling point, as well as what Beads said. A number of us posted during this season that we just couldn't hold the middle, and the trick to doing that is both line speed (the brick wall) and good tackling technique which a number of our star attractions need to really work on.

Our attack was always up there wit the top teams more than less. For mine, this is Bennett's biggest challenge - to mould the team into a defensive brick wall and get rid of the fucking grab and pull tackling which helped stuff up this year, and to build a team around our strike weapons which in 2015, look very potent indeed: Milford, Barba, Copley, Parker, Hodges. We so need established combinations and not ad hoc shit

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I agree 100% on our line speed. It was non-existent. We waited on the line, gifted opposition a certain 10 m, than had to try to stop their momementum flat footed by grabbing at shirts.

I don't agree that our attack was at the standard of the too teams. The cowboys game was an embarrassing highlight of this. We have very few set plays, we are often bunched up and disjointed, we have no real structure and it often looks like there is no plan (very poor 5th tackle options).

We can still score plenty of points but that is due to individual brilliance, luck, or as hoc plays. Usually thanks to a Bent hunt or Hodgo miracle.

If you watch the top attacking sides, Melbourne particularly, the whole team is in motion on each play. Smith and Cronk have three of four options they can chose from depending on how the defence reacts. This is something we severely lack at he moment and I believe Bennett is (or at least was) capable of fixing this. He did it beautifully at the dragons, probably even better than the storm or manly does, why he couldn't manage it at Newcastle beats me and it is slightly concerning.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
To judge Bennett on this year with the Knights is unfair. With all the off-field and on-field dramas at the club from the start of the pre-season right down till the very end of the season, it was always going to be disruptive. They couldn't get a break, one issue, after another. It was only towards the end of the season where it seemed the team was starting to come together. I mean in the previous year he took them to the preliminary finals. They were playing great football. Their attack and defence was great.

One thing with Bennett is he knows how to get his players playing at the right time of year. He also goes by the philosophy that defence wins grand finals. You just have to look at the defence of the dragons when they won the premiership. Their defence was magnificent, and based on that alone, they could close out games. This is something I'm looking forward to for the Broncos. Everyone seems to criticise Hunt for not being able to close out games. Given his lack of experience, he does need to work on it, however he is not the sole blame for it. It doesn't help when his team is not assisting him close out the game, something Bennett will address.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
To judge Bennett on this year with the Knights is unfair. With all the off-field and on-field dramas at the club from the start of the pre-season right down till the very end of the season, it was always going to be disruptive. They couldn't get a break, one issue, after another. It was only towards the end of the season where it seemed the team was starting to come together. I mean in the previous year he took them to the preliminary finals. They were playing great football. Their attack and defence was great.

One thing with Bennett is he knows how to get his players playing at the right time of year. He also goes by the philosophy that defence wins grand finals. You just have to look at the defence of the dragons when they won the premiership. Their defence was magnificent, and based on that alone, they could close out games. This is something I'm looking forward to for the Broncos. Everyone seems to criticise Hunt for not being able to close out games. Given his lack of experience, he does need to work on it, however he is not the sole blame for it. It doesn't help when his team is not assisting him close out the game, something Bennett will address.

I'm only partially judging him on his Knights stint (full 3 years, 2 of which he missed the finals). but my biggest reason for not wanting him back, is I think re-hiring him is VERY short sighted. I think we should have gone for a long term option. It took us a long time to get over him when he left the first time, and i fear that after his 3 years (which is when i think he will retire, if not before) we could be back in the same place as we are right now.

and TBH, i'm not sure i have faith in the board to plan his succession. I mean, if they couldn't see mid way through last year (at the absolute latest) that they would be sacking Griffin (hence should have been looking at their options then) then they were asleep at the wheel

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I'm only partially judging him on his Knights stint (full 3 years, 2 of which he missed the finals). but my biggest reason for not wanting him back, is I think re-hiring him is VERY short sighted. I think we should have gone for a long term option. It took us a long time to get over him when he left the first time, and i fear that after his 3 years (which is when i think he will retire, if not before) we could be back in the same place as we are right now.

and TBH, i'm not sure i have faith in the board to plan his succession. I mean, if they couldn't see mid way through last year (at the absolute latest) that they would be sacking Griffin (hence should have been looking at their options then) then they were asleep at the wheel

three years is a pretty long time in NRL coach land nowadays ... If the club had've opted for a long term option, as you put it, that would've been little more than a step sideways imo because there really aren't any young coaches out there at the moment who're better credentialed than Griffin and available.

Re the supposed succession plan that we all assume will be brewing in the background during Bennett's tenure, I think a fair degree of flexibility is needed there. If the stars align and a Michael Maguire or Trent Robinson is coming to the end of a contract in a couple of years, the Broncos would be nuts not to sound them out as potential successors to Bennett.

I'm a thousand miles from convinced that Kevin Walters is a worthy heir to the Bennett throne as a matter of course.

Last edited:
B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Just a thought, but before Hook was sacked and replaced by Bennett, would anyone have liked if Griffin had remained coach and Bennett took up a role as a coaching director, similar to Gould and Cleary??

S

sus

QCup Player
Aug 20, 2013
sounds like a good night out where im from...

would i chuck him back in gaol and watch the game's in-form lock at prop next to the games next #1 lock ? id rather front packers bond my fucking self...

sorry on a mobilr device.. was meant to quoye the possible packer signing... derp...

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I agree 100% on our line speed. It was non-existent. We waited on the line, gifted opposition a certain 10 m, than had to try to stop their momementum flat footed by grabbing at shirts.

I don't agree that our attack was at the standard of the too teams. The cowboys game was an embarrassing highlight of this. We have very few set plays, we are often bunched up and disjointed, we have no real structure and it often looks like there is no plan (very poor 5th tackle options).

We can still score plenty of points but that is due to individual brilliance, luck, or as hoc plays. Usually thanks to a Bent hunt or Hodgo miracle.

If you watch the top attacking sides, Melbourne particularly, the whole team is in motion on each play. Smith and Cronk have three of four options they can chose from depending on how the defence reacts. This is something we severely lack at he moment and I believe Bennett is (or at least was) capable of fixing this. He did it beautifully at the dragons, probably even better than the storm or manly does, why he couldn't manage it at Newcastle beats me and it is slightly concerning.

You nailed it.

What I meant was that when the attack worked, when we moved the ball and let it do the work, especially when the forwards passed it and it got out to the edges and wider, we did some great things. But yes, too few and far between, and so important to have the whole team in motion. As I quoted Jack Gibson once: to stand flat footed is to move backwards, or something like that.

Wayne has a lot of work to do next year, but with great material. Like jarro said, bring it (on).

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
- First and foremost, our ruck defense and line speed needs to be fixed.
- Second, some semblance of a structure in attack.
- Third, proper use of the bench.

With all of the above, and the quality of the roster inherited by Bennett, we cannot be anything less than strong contenders for a Top 4 and a premiership!

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Its going to be interesting to see what the 2015 squad actually ends up looking like.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Its going to be interesting to see what the 2015 squad actually ends up looking like.

I must confess that is the only thing that actually worries me a bit, but then, I guess like most of us, we have our personal faves and of mine, I want to see Barba and Gillett in the run on side (and no Boyd).

Other than that, for mine, as Porthoz said above, and others elsewhere - all that we need from Wayne is to fix what's broken: ruck defence, lack of structure and effective use of the bench.

Some on-field organization and leadership calling a repertoire of well rehearsed set plays would also not go astray.

Our roster next year is definitely "on paper" a top 4 side, and even better, no doubt about it, and there will be NO excuses for that not happening. No excuses at all.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Cullen's size really counted against him and he didn't have the skills to compensate for it. I reckon he could make a really good hooker if he can improve his defence. Has good instincts just needs time to make that adjustment.

Whitchurch underwent serious back surgery in 2012 and it really affected him. Had a pretty forgettable 2013 but was one of the few shining lights for the Dolphins this year & he should definitely be invited to train with the first grade team.

Here's my take on what the squad may look like...

Brisbane Broncos Squad
Ben Barba
Dale Copley
Mitchell Dodds
Greg Eden
Mitch Garbutt
Matt Gillett
Alex Glenn
David Hala
Ben Hannant
Justin Hodges
Josh Hoffman
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Martin Kennedy
Todd Lowrie
Lachlan Maranta
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Anthony Milford
Corey Oates
Corey Parker
Jack Reed
David Stagg
Sam Thaiday
Daniel Vidot
Jarrod Wallace
Travis Waddell

NYC Bolters
Ajuma Adams
Elijah Alick
Jai Arrow
Jayden Berrell
Paul Byrnes
Jordan Drew
Brett Greinke
Francis Molo
Jayden Nikorima
Kodi Nikorima
Joe Ofahengaue
Ash Taylor

ISC Bolters
Carlin Anderson
Mitchell Frei
Jon Green
Rod Griffin
Darren Nicholls
Matt Parcell
Zach Strasser
Aaron Whitchurch

Would be interested to see who @1910 believes should be nominated from each affiliate.

It will depend on who the clubs sign too, a lot of the time the ISC do the work. Other big question mark is which clubs are with the Broncos next year. Bennett's review will include the use of the ISC.

Parcell would benefit greatly from a off-season with an NRL side, he is a smart hooker and could be the Broncos back up. Carlin has signed signed and is a great raw talent.

Active Now

• Painin the Haas
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Alec
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • mrslong
  • Morepudding
  • BroncosAlways
  • FACTHUNT
  • Financeguy
  • johnyE
  • Fatboy
  • Skathen
  • rj9
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Manofoneway
  • Viti
  • Kev_Guz
  • Battler
... and 39 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.