Broncos - 2015 Discussion

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Question. If Barba played 5/8th all season and Hoffman fullback all season how many extra wins would we have?

you would have to go back and look at all the tries that were scored on barba assists at fullback. Anything to do with Barba kicking the ball or throwing a pass would be ruled ineligible.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Not as many as we would have won if Hodges played fullback in attack.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
As much as I like Boyd, and although he is a very, very good fullback, I feel we don't need him due to the vast amount of quality fullbacks we already have at the club. I don't really see where he would fit in, even if he wasn't going to play fullback.

For Bennett, to say Boyd is a better fullback than those already at the club/coming to the club is extremely harsh and somewhat disrespectful. To be told that someone else, who currently is not at the club, is a better player than those already there, would be a kick in the guts and would be pretty hurtful for the rest of the team.

If we didn't have both Barba and Milford for the fullback/five-eighth spot, than Boyd would of been a good option, however since we have both Barba and Milford, who are supremely talented and on their day can be one of the best players in the competition, I find it hard to find a spot for Boyd.

Something Barba and Milford have, is also something that we need. That is the qualities of individual brilliance and attacking flair that they possess. They have a natural instinct which cannot be coached, which is something we have lacked for quite some time.

If we were looking for a consistent fullback, who will do his job well, without being outstanding, than Boyd comes to mind. He has the ability to do something brilliant once or twice, but doesn't set the world on fire on a regular basis. I feel there are other clubs who need Boyd than we do.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
As much as I like Boyd, and although he is a very, very good fullback, I feel we don't need him due to the vast amount of quality fullbacks we already have at the club. I don't really see where he would fit in, even if he wasn't going to play fullback.

For Bennett, to say Boyd is a better fullback than those already at the club/coming to the club is extremely harsh and somewhat disrespectful. To be told that someone else, who currently is not at the club, is a better player than those already there, would be a kick in the guts and would be pretty hurtful for the rest of the team.

If we didn't have both Barba and Milford for the fullback/five-eighth spot, than Boyd would of been a good option, however since we have both Barba and Milford, who are supremely talented and on their day can be one of the best players in the competition, I find it hard to find a spot for Boyd.

Something Barba and Milford have, is also something that we need. That is the qualities of individual brilliance and attacking flair that they possess. They have a natural instinct which cannot be coached, which is something we have lacked for quite some time.

If we were looking for a consistent fullback, who will do his job well, without being outstanding, than Boyd comes to mind. He has the ability to do something brilliant once or twice, but doesn't set the world on fire on a regular basis. I feel there are other clubs who need Boyd than we do.

Awesome post, bazza. It poses a great question - do we take a punt on a less-talented guy who does the job most of the time or highly-talented guys who do the job some of the time?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I hope they don't use the 20's design. That was kind of awful..

They should create a modern day version of the old Powers jersey and use that as the regular home jersey.

Last edited:
Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
IMO next year our front row is going to be light on without another signing or one of the other guys stepping up. With Hannant off to the cowboys and Kennedy an unknown what are the chances of seeing Molo or Ofengaue in the side next year.

Bennent has a nack of turning average front rowers into good players. Weyman and Poore at the dragons come to mind for me.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
With the loss of Hannant and Russell Packer potentially signing with another club, I think Big Joe should be a certainty for a spot in the side next year.

He has a big motor and gets through a mountain of work regularly. He has a great work ethic and he deserves a shot in the NRL. He is big, tall, strong, makes plenty of tackles, plays 80mins and regularly runs for 200m. He is exactly what we need. We lack players who can bend the line and make plenty of metres.

He is amongst the fittest at the club including the first grade team, so I'm sure NRL won't be a problem in terms of fitness. He'll easily be able to handle 40-50 mins in the NRL to begin with.

I'd Like to see this forward pack:

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Garbutt
16. Ofahengaue
17. Oates

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
With the loss of Hannant and Russell Packer potentially signing with another club, I think Big Joe should be a certainty for a spot in the side next year.

He has a big motor and gets through a mountain of work regularly. He has a great work ethic and he deserves a shot in the NRL. He is big, tall, strong, makes plenty of tackles, plays 80mins and regularly runs for 200m. He is exactly what we need. We lack players who can bend the line and make plenty of metres.

He is amongst the fittest at the club including the first grade team, so I'm sure NRL won't be a problem in terms of fitness. He'll easily be able to handle 40-50 mins in the NRL to begin with.

I'd Like to see this forward pack:

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Garbutt
16. Ofahengaue
17. Oates

I'd like that to be the case. I love new home-grown blood, but iirc Hala played big minutes and looked like a world-beater in the 20s. Quietly cautious is how I'll travel.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Be interesting to see where Hannants money goes. Will it be used to upgrade players like Oates or to bring in somebody new

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I would prefer we use that money for upgrades and keep some of our young guys around the club for longer.

I like Dodds so I would like it if the Broncos persisted with him for another season. He should be back by next season.

McGuire and Kennedy our starting props with Garbutt and Dodds on the bench.

Last edited:
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Be interesting to see where Hannants money goes. Will it be used to upgrade players like Oates or to bring in somebody new

Without Hoffman and Boyd playing the wing, are we short on actual wingers who can catch and score tries? Would anyone be opposed to offering Lote Tuqiri a contract so he can finish his career here? I'm not exactly for or against it. Just throwing it out there

J

johnny87

BRL Player
Nov 17, 2013
With vidot on the other wing it'd be good to have big wingers on each side. Like the old days

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • mitch222
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • Fozz
  • Alec
  • MasterWright
  • LittleDavey
  • Organix
  • broncos4life
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • BooKhaki
  • Dexter
  • Fatboy
  • Tim K
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Browny
  • Mick_Hancock
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.