Broncos - 2015 Discussion

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Especially from near halfway. Closer to their line the bombs need to have a more predictable path though, so our chasers have a target area to run to. From a distance those floaters are ideal as our runners won't be competing for the ball, more looking to put pressure on the receiver. The advantage of the bomb over a dab though is that it gives the chasers more time, so if it's unlikely we'll be able to pin them in-goal, a high ball is okay so long as you can still get reasonable distance.

Look at some of the fantastic bombs put up in the roosters/Bunnies game yesterday .... perfect kicks in that situation when they can't get quite close enough to put in an attacking grubber or chip kick.

We really do need to lift our kicking game.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
How about some more short kicks, grubbers mid-field for Milford at least. Is NRL real football anymore?

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
How about some more short kicks, grubbers mid-field for Milford at least. Is NRL real football anymore?

NRL has become very conservative RNA unfortunately. Most coaches would not support a tactic like mid-field chip kicks because of concerns about surrendering easy field position and also creating a broken field opportunity for a kick return. A player like Phil Blake would have more trouble flourishing today.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
If I were going to be ruthless, and pick a 17 that I think is best moving forward, I think I'd go with the below. Bearing in mind we'd probably be able to keep some of those left out as depth, and I've also kept it to current players, not "expected" signings or anything. And this isn't a team for right now, it's what I think will be a good side by the end of the year, or more importantly next year as we go harder for the title.

1. Boyd - Let's face it, he has the spot sewn up. But he is very safe, has good hands, and is well drilled at being the link man.
2. Kahu - Once he warms up I hope he'll live up to his expectations. Wing isn't his ultimate position but it'll do for now.
3. Copley - Still has a bit to do in terms of defence and ball control, but is 400% the player at centre than he is on the wing.
4. Hodges - Don't argue.
5. Vidot - As has been discussed in other threads.
6. Milford - He won't get the fullback spot but he will get every opportunity, resource, and assistance to succeed at 6.
7. Hunt - Yep.
8. McGuire - Great at doing the "workhorse prop" job and his best games are always when he plays big minutes.
9. McCullough - Hopefully as the season progresses there will be a clearer picture of how the new ruck speed works and he can exploit it.
10. Blair - Go on, shoot me. He's the impact prop (yes, prop) that is there to intimidate and hurt during the softening up period.
11. Oates - The wide-running back-rower that has speed, strength & size.
12. Gillett - looking better each game after his surgery. He's the x-factor back-rower that just makes stuff happen.
13. Parker - Please let Bennett just be "managing him" for the moment so he's got the juice left for 80 minute games later on.

14. Nikorima - I enjoyed his spark. Not suitable for big minutes as he'd end up being a target in defence.
15. Thaiday - whether he'd accept a job on the bench, or go elsewhere for easy retirement money, this is his future IMO.
16. Wallace - I was rubbing my eyes on Friday. Seems to have really improved.
17. Gavet - I think his dropped balls were nerves, when he gets composed he'll be the aggressive bench prop we've been needing.

Omissions:
JoO - Has a big future with us but is just outside the full 17 for now. In a year's time watch out.
Maranta - Look, I really like him, has a great attitude and works hard, I just don't see his improvement taking a steep rise.
Reed - Another that I really like, but I think we've seen his best. Not a spent force but not good enough to hold back Copley.
Glenn - Again, I think we saw his best in 2011 or so. That flat-attacking game plan just doesn't work and he's not fast or strong.
Dodds - A great no-nonsense player but will be competing for Wallace for that bench spot and JWal seems to have nosed ahead.

I haven't commented on Garbutt, Molo, or any of the other younger players as I have nothing to base opinions off. It's a shame, because a lot of the players that I have left out are in my opinion the more likeable players, but being easy to relate to can only keep you in the fan's 17 for so long.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If I were going to be ruthless, and pick a 17 that I think is best moving forward, I think I'd go with the below. Bearing in mind we'd probably be able to keep some of those left out as depth, and I've also kept it to current players, not "expected" signings or anything. And this isn't a team for right now, it's what I think will be a good side by the end of the year, or more importantly next year as we go harder for the title.

1. Boyd - Let's face it, he has the spot sewn up. But he is very safe, has good hands, and is well drilled at being the link man.
2. Kahu - Once he warms up I hope he'll live up to his expectations. Wing isn't his ultimate position but it'll do for now.
3. Copley - Still has a bit to do in terms of defence and ball control, but is 400% the player at centre than he is on the wing.
4. Hodges - Don't argue.
5. Vidot - As has been discussed in other threads.
6. Milford - He won't get the fullback spot but he will get every opportunity, resource, and assistance to succeed at 6.
7. Hunt - Yep.
8. McGuire - Great at doing the "workhorse prop" job and his best games are always when he plays big minutes.
9. McCullough - Hopefully as the season progresses there will be a clearer picture of how the new ruck speed works and he can exploit it.
10. Blair - Go on, shoot me. He's the impact prop (yes, prop) that is there to intimidate and hurt during the softening up period.
11. Oates - The wide-running back-rower that has speed, strength & size.
12. Gillett - looking better each game after his surgery. He's the x-factor back-rower that just makes stuff happen.
13. Parker - Please let Bennett just be "managing him" for the moment so he's got the juice left for 80 minute games later on.

14. Nikorima - I enjoyed his spark. Not suitable for big minutes as he'd end up being a target in defence.
15. Thaiday - whether he'd accept a job on the bench, or go elsewhere for easy retirement money, this is his future IMO.
16. Wallace - I was rubbing my eyes on Friday. Seems to have really improved.
17. Gavet - I think his dropped balls were nerves, when he gets composed he'll be the aggressive bench prop we've been needing.

Omissions:
JoO - Has a big future with us but is just outside the full 17 for now. In a year's time watch out.
Maranta - Look, I really like him, has a great attitude and works hard, I just don't see his improvement taking a steep rise.
Reed - Another that I really like, but I think we've seen his best. Not a spent force but not good enough to hold back Copley.
Glenn - Again, I think we saw his best in 2011 or so. That flat-attacking game plan just doesn't work and he's not fast or strong.
Dodds - A great no-nonsense player but will be competing for Wallace for that bench spot and JWal seems to have nosed ahead.

I haven't commented on Garbutt, Molo, or any of the other younger players as I have nothing to base opinions off. It's a shame, because a lot of the players that I have left out are in my opinion the more likeable players, but being easy to relate to can only keep you in the fan's 17 for so long.

I'd change Vidot for Oates for this year, then Oates to go into the centres with Copley when Hodges retires. Oates to the back row in say '18 or later. I think Oates and Copley would make a killer centre pairing.

Glenn... I think you under rate him. He's my choice for the back row. His form seems to be gaining some momentum, although I wonder where his head and focus is at times. But he's my pick for now. Bennett is no doubt looking at his form closely.

As for "that flat attacking game plan" I think it has its place as a variation, but then our attack has been flat and without serious depth for years. Milford needs to play deeper, roam around a lot more, and have Gillett and Glenn ready to run angles on the edges.

... and yes, I can't see how on current form, Wallace can be omitted from the 17.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I think it'd be a waste developing Oates in to a centre, Copley & Gagai will be our centre pairing from 2017 onwards hopefully. We need wingers that know how to catch bombs and score tries please Wayne!

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I think it'd be a waste developing Oates in to a centre, Copley & Gagai will be our centre pairing from 2017 onwards hopefully. We need wingers that know how to catch bombs and score tries please Wayne!

Precisely. While I didn't include Gagai in my 17 for obvious reasons, it's likely he'll be there once Hodges hangs up the boots. I suspect however that that'll be the end of 2016, so the question is what do we do next year (if Gagai does come)? Do we play him on the wing and Kahu/Vidot/Whoever misses out? Maybe that's another alternative theory behind the Vidot demotion - Bennett expects Gagai to be here and he'll be mentored while playing outside Hodges, so really we only have one wing spot free and a lot of players to fight for it.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Precisely. While I didn't include Gagai in my 17 for obvious reasons, it's likely he'll be there once Hodges hangs up the boots. I suspect however that that'll be the end of 2016, so the question is what do we do next year (if Gagai does come)? Do we play him on the wing and Kahu/Vidot/Whoever misses out? Maybe that's another alternative theory behind the Vidot demotion - Bennett expects Gagai to be here and he'll be mentored while playing outside Hodges, so really we only have one wing spot free and a lot of players to fight for it.

I've said it in a few threads, but that's been my prediction from Day 1 once Boyd had signed.

2016 -

1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Gagai

2017 -

1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Copley
4. Gagai
5. TBA

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Let's go completely controversial for post-Hodges/Parker.

1. Boyd - He'll probably still be here.
2. Kahu - If he can stay injury free, he's a gun.
3. Oates - The kid could be one of the best players in any position but I like what he could offer at centre most. I like Copley but need to see evidence he has improved his feet for hands.
4. Gagai - We all know it's probably a done deal.
5. Drew - Like BP, I love what this kid offers. Would love to see Anderson get a shot.
6. Milford - We all know he is a fullback but it's all been said.
7. Hunt - Obviously
8. Offa - He will play for Australia.
9. Parcell - This guy is a gun, give him a shot at least until Jikorima comes on the scene.
10. Molo - If he can stay fit, with him and Joffa, we have our ten year props. What about Moose you say?
11. Glenn - He has still got it, just give him better service for his line running.
12. Gillett - Fantastic left and right edge runners with better service.
13. McGuire - He is Parker v2.0, so put him there.

14. Kikorima - Hopefully one two brother punch eventually.
15. Garbutt/Wallace - See who takes their chance most.
16. Arrow - This kid is up there with Offa in terms of talent, Parker v3.0.
17. Reed - Yes that's right. He is more skilful than people give him credit for but is too slow for centre. He is a second rower so play him there. He can also cover injuries in the back line.

Now thats controversial!

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Anyone else notice how he was putting up torpedoes from just inside our half/on halfway?

Never really seen him do that before, must be some kind of new tactic we're trying out. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him using a torpedo before this season, usually goes with the safe 'point over point' option that old Petey Wallace used to use relentlessly.

Love the torp though. MORE TORPEDOES!

'point over point' = the drop punt
torpedo = the mongrel

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Let's go completely controversial for post-Hodges/Parker.

1. Boyd - He'll probably still be here.
2. Kahu - If he can stay injury free, he's a gun.
3. Oates - The kid could be one of the best players in any position but I like what he could offer at centre most. I like Copley but need to see evidence he has improved his feet for hands.
4. Gagai - We all know it's probably a done deal.
5. Drew - Like BP, I love what this kid offers. Would love to see Anderson get a shot.
6. Milford - We all know he is a fullback but it's all been said.
7. Hunt - Obviously
8. Offa - He will play for Australia.
9. Parcell - This guy is a gun, give him a shot at least until Jikorima comes on the scene.
10. Molo - If he can stay fit, with him and Joffa, we have our ten year props. What about Moose you say?
11. Glenn - He has still got it, just give him better service for his line running.
12. Gillett - Fantastic left and right edge runners with better service.
13. McGuire - He is Parker v2.0, so put him there.

14. Kikorima - Hopefully one two brother punch eventually.
15. Garbutt/Wallace - See who takes their chance most.
16. Arrow - This kid is up there with Offa in terms of talent, Parker v3.0.
17. Reed - Yes that's right. He is more skilful than people give him credit for but is too slow for centre. He is a second rower so play him there. He can also cover injuries in the back line.

Now thats controversial!

As if you'd put Drew ahead of Copley.I've said it before and i'll say it again, I don't get all the hype surrounding Drew. He's a complete nuffie in my opinion. Aaron Whitchurch v2.0.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
1426861950.jpg

FTR, the jersey they wore tonight ... ATM, only available for pre-order

I really like it, i'm tempted to buy one ... if only it wasn't $170

https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.c...D=2755&ProductID=50268&OrgID=1335#Description

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
As if you'd put Drew ahead of Copley.I've said it before and i'll say it again, I don't get all the hype surrounding Drew. He's a complete nuffie in my opinion. Aaron Whitchurch v2.0.

Have you seen him in the under 20's or Auckland9's? He did well enough in his debut as well.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Not seen a lot of Drew but from what I have seen I don't get the wraps. He wasn't overly impressive in our finals run last year, particularly in defence, which surprised me because he looks like a defensive minded centre.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I wouldn't go as far to call for Drew being played over Copley but I definitely think he should be considered as a depth option and I see more in him than other options in the team.

Drew was underdone in the NYC finals and struggled with injury. Really wouldn't be right to judge him on that.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.