Broncos 2020 Squad

So apparently Bullemore is the fastest forward at the club, pretty impressive with Fifita there. Hopefully he'll be at the Nines and we get a good look at him.

Bullemor has great speed and his reaction time is the most impressive thing, he's scored a lot of long range tries in the ISC.

V Bears- 40m
v Townsville 20m and 60m
V Pride 45m

Four of his seven involved long range speed and the other three were close to the line but he just exploded, the try against the Capras was tremendous speed.

Ethan, Broncos and Norths Under 18 player. Was a standout all MM season. Strong and smart.

Two points down on Saturday Fifta takes a one out end the game hit up. Bullemor steals it and nearly gets Norths a win. Too smart and strong for Fifita.

That play alone says plenty about him; to do that after a game of slogging away in the middle.

I thought of this game situation as soon as you compared the two- Bullemor is too quick and smart for Fifita.

Last edited:
Bullemor has great speed and his reaction time is the most impressive thing, he's scored a lot of long range tries in the ISC.

V Bears- 40m
v Townsville 20m and 60m
V Pride 45m

Four of his seven involved long range speed and the other three were close to the line but he just exploded, the try against the Capras was tremendous speed.

I thought of this game situation as soon as you compared the two- Bullemor is too quick and smart for Fifita.

do you love Bullemor more than Wolfie loves Carrigan ?

V Bears- 40m
v Townsville 20m and 60m
V Pride 45m

So you rate bullemor more than Fifita?

I find it hard to justify having Boyd in the team at all... He is not better than any of our Centres or Wingers. I understand the need for experience in a team but I honestly don't believe hes in our best 17 and therefore shouldn't be starting... it's going to be frustrating if they keep trotting him out there... especially if its only 'to give him a few games' to prove he should be there. I think he's well and truly proved the opposite already.

Last edited:
So now preseason is well under way and the Nines and Trials are approaching, what is the consensus amongst the forum about how our Round 1 side might look?

This is what I'm expecting, assuming of course no injuries and that Offa is allowed to play Round 1 after his Police incident:

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. TPJ

14. Macca
15. Ofahengaue
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

Only real question mark as far as I can see might be them starting Offa at Lock like they did to finish last season and TPJ would then come off the Bench in his place.

I suppose there is also the risk that Boyd would play Centre but honestly I don't see how he's a better option than Staggs or Bird.
I think Offa and TPJ wil swap from lock and bench throughout the season and depending on injuries TPJ might find himself in the second row rotation during games and sometimes middle and the ratio will depend on the overall 17. Pretty spot on.

So now preseason is well under way and the Nines and Trials are approaching, what is the consensus amongst the forum about how our Round 1 side might look?

This is what I'm expecting, assuming of course no injuries and that Offa is allowed to play Round 1 after his Police incident:

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. TPJ

14. Macca
15. Ofahengaue
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

Only real question mark as far as I can see might be them starting Offa at Lock like they did to finish last season and TPJ would then come off the Bench in his place.

I suppose there is also the risk that Boyd would play Centre but honestly I don't see how he's a better option than Staggs or Bird.

From how Seibs is talking, its going TPJ wont be lock. Glenn, TPJ and Fifita will be rotating around the back row edges. Carrigan and Joffa will be our lock options.

It looks like Boyd will be getting a crack somewhere either at wing or center, but he has to be better than our other option in the trials for me to keep his place.

I think our big wildcard is actually going to be Bird. Been to training a couple of times and havent seen him run at center which was interesting. Once at fullback, once at lock. Dont know if he has done this regularly.

I think our big wildcard is actually going to be Bird. Been to training a couple of times and havent seen him run at center which was interesting. Once at fullback, once at lock. Dont know if he has done this regularly.

From what I'm hearing he has been doing that regularly. Been training all over the place in several different positions.

It sounds like he is going to be used as the utility.

Judging from training photos the talk is true.

TPJ on the right and Fifita is on the left edge

Just a thought...

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Glenn (C)
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. TPJ
12. Fifita
13. Ofahengaue

14. Bird
15. Paix
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

I don't know if I trust Glenn at centre against a gun opponent and he doesn't have the speed to expose a rookie.
He can fill in alright but starting to me exposes his lack of mobility.
I'd rather a combination of Boyd, bird or staggs. For that matter if one of young guns puts his hands up in a trial, I'd be happy to see them given a shot first too.
Glenn needs to be a starting forward, either second row, lock, or combination of.
As captain, he must start, and he must play plenty of minutes (80 preferably).
I want our players to really show what they've got in the trials, and earn a spot, rather than be given based on potential or reputation.
Too many of these pre-season games seemed to have been treated as inconsequential. Whilst it's hard to rise against a lower end ISC side, the same is true at times against sides like the titans where we have failed miserably.
Whoever we play, there should be a game plan and players scored on their ability to compliment it's execution.
I don't care about long range tries or intercepts, or big hits. Just do your job.
Find the best at it from those trials and play them regardless round 1.

Based on the article on NRL.com with Seibold discussing the back line, it sounds like this is how it currently stands.

1. Isaako (Competition from Bird & Arthars)
2. Oates (Competition from Coates, Farnworth & Perese)
3. Boyd (No competition)
4. Staggs (Competition from Bird)
5. TBA (Coates, Farnworth & Perese)

I'm really not sure what this means for Jack Bird, perhaps he'll start the season on the interchange as a utility player, he's played that role before for the Sharks & NSW. Plus we know Seibold is a fan of having an outside back on the bench.

Edit: Further confirmation from Joel Gould that Bird may start the year at 14 -

Last edited:
I really don’t understand how Bird could lose his position to Boyd..?? Unless his fitness after his injury is in question...

I really don’t understand how Bird could lose his position to Boyd..?? Unless his fitness after his injury is in question...

Realistically he did his ACL 9 months ago, I think it's fair to start him from the bench and allow him more time to get trust in his knee, etc. Plus if the end goal is to play Darius 15 games or less so that he can't activate his player option for next season, we're better off getting them out of the way early in the season.

Hopefully Darb suffers a convenient dip in form around Round 12-14 so we can drop him to QCUP and never have to worry about him again.

Obvious choice for Glenn would be second row, I just think TPJ would be much more damaging in that position. I'd also like to have Glenn next to Coates and supporting the backline, as I feel we already have leaders in our forward pack. Plus Glenn has pretty solid defence in the centres, and I can see him making some solid tackles there and leading by example.
Personally, I can see lots of players running over or around Boyd in that position; and if he's on the wing he'll be out-jumped every week. I believe Bird will be utility, and that doesn't leave many other options apart from maybe Kennar / Niu (I'd be happy with Niu, but we can't have Coates and Niu working in defence together just yet).
On a side note, I really like the idea of Paix at hooker. I know we have Turpin, but I'd love to have that impact off the bench.

Further confirmation in this article that Fifita has been running off Milford at training and is expected to start on the left.

Very curious to see whether that means Glenn will shift to the right, the middle or the bench come Round 1.. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Seibold has already ruled Boyd out of every position except centre. Playing Bird or Staggs off the bench initially seems like a waste, but at least it gives the rest of the 1-5 a run in their long-term positions. Bird/Staggs will almost certainly outplay Boyd, even coming off the bench, and it'll give Seibold every excuse to shift Boyd out of the 17 on merit.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.