Broncos 2020 Squad

It's a story on the Under 18s QRL squad.

Ezra Mam (Five Eighth), Selwynn Cobbo (Centre), Keanu Wright-Dunrobin (Five Eighth), Reece Walsh (Fullback), Brendan Piakura (Second Row), Brocco Urhle (Prop), Xavier Va'a (Prop), Shaun Packer (Hooker) & Blake Cesari (Centre) are all with the Broncos.

They also missed Damon Somerville (Second Row) who is also with the club.

I'm unsure on Radel, Hall & Jenkins.

Pick of the bunch would be Reece Walsh, I expect to see him in QCup this season and I could see him working his way into the NRL squad for 2021.
Piakura is a bit of a weapon too, if Fifita plays right side that should let Piakura come in on the left in a few years if he keeps going.

It may just be wishful thinking from me but does anyone else think that the players appear to be closer and fitter than ever?
I’ve seen way more posts on social media of the boys doing things together and from all the pictures I’ve seen at training everyone seems to be in career best shape.
It's because now they have a captain that they know will actually turn up. Honestly I feel like there had to be some issues with Boyd's leadership. Surely it annoyed the other players when he refused to make tackles at fullback and would happily play a whole game without taking a run.

From what I've seen Darius is probably one of the most popular players within the team. Its obvious they love him and I think, respect him for his training ethic and loyalty to them. All that said though, any player (let alone a captain) that continues to struggle will eventually bring the team around them down.
Darius going into round one with a good solid game would the best thing for team harmony. The next best is him not being there. The only question remaining is can he do it? He is doing all the right things at training. He has not let losing the captaincy have one iota of effect on the team (It has in the past), and they seem to be the most settled for a few seasons going into round 1.
Of course, all this is prefaced with a good start to the season. No team harmony survives 4 or 5 loses. So it's up to the players, their leaders and coach to make sure that doesn't happen.

And now he's out of the spine and away from the captaincy, he can't be solely responsible for any losses - let alone 4 or 5 in a row.
From what I've seen Darius is probably one of the most popular players within the team. Its obvious they love him and I think, respect him for his training ethic and loyalty to them. All that said though, any player (let alone a captain) that continues to struggle will eventually bring the team around them down.
Darius going into round one with a good solid game would the best thing for team harmony. The next best is him not being there. The only question remaining is can he do it? He is doing all the right things at training. He has not let losing the captaincy have one iota of effect on the team (It has in the past), and they seem to be the most settled for a few seasons going into round 1.
Of course, all this is prefaced with a good start to the season. No team harmony survives 4 or 5 loses. So it's up to the players, their leaders and coach to make sure that doesn't happen.

A lot of people want Boyd out of the side but I do like the idea of being on the wing.

Our right side was just embarrassing defensively too many times last season. Kotoni and Isaako wasn't working. They would jam in which would create opportunities for the opposition and they would take advantage of that which resulted in some bad starts and our heads dropping.

Boyd is a good communicator defensively. Say what you want about the other parts of his game but that's one area he always put in the effort. Staggs could benefit from someone like him next to him and he is good at reading the play so he won't rush in as much as Isaako.

Despite what people have said, when he was playing at left centre when Bennett was coach, he did a good job there and our left side, at least defensively was better because of it.

Despite not being the fastest bloke on the field, he still would know how to find the try line. You don't forget that shit.

In saying that, I would give him 5 games max to prove himself. If he hasn't, he can **** right off.

I think our right side defence also suffered from Gillo being out and not being the god in defence he was when he came back and Turpin being in an unfamiliar position. He can get away with missing a first contact at hooker more than he could out wide.

As soon as he did, it caused panic and rushing from either or both of Staggs and Isaako, and you have Staggs being in his first proper year and Isaako never being noticeably great in defence while having an understandably below-par season. It’ll be far better despite/because of the changes regardless if Boyd is out there

Last edited:

David Fifita looking.. large..

It's because now they have a captain that they know will actually turn up. Honestly I feel like there had to be some issues with Boyd's leadership. Surely it annoyed the other players when he refused to make tackles at fullback and would happily play a whole game without taking a run.
You must have the sharpest axe in the universe. You just never stop. Over and over and over and over...

So now preseason is well under way and the Nines and Trials are approaching, what is the consensus amongst the forum about how our Round 1 side might look?

This is what I'm expecting, assuming of course no injuries and that Offa is allowed to play Round 1 after his Police incident:

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. TPJ

14. Macca
15. Ofahengaue
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

Only real question mark as far as I can see might be them starting Offa at Lock like they did to finish last season and TPJ would then come off the Bench in his place.

I suppose there is also the risk that Boyd would play Centre but honestly I don't see how he's a better option than Staggs or Bird.

So now preseason is well under way and the Nines and Trials are approaching, what is the consensus amongst the forum about how our Round 1 side might look?

This is what I'm expecting, assuming of course no injuries and that Offa is allowed to play Round 1 after his Police incident:

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. TPJ

14. Macca
15. Ofahengaue
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

Only real question mark as far as I can see might be them starting Offa at Lock like they did to finish last season and TPJ would then come off the Bench in his place.

I suppose there is also the risk that Boyd would play Centre but honestly I don't see how he's a better option than Staggs or Bird.
Baring any injuries, I’d say that team is spot on

If Boyd is top of the tree on the centre charts, he definitely be favoured for one spot. The question is who fills the other and who is on the bench.
I think staggs gets the other and bird plays a Mr fix it role, whilst performing a forward role similar to TPJ (with less minutes). He gets to play a wide roving forward in attack and a traditional 2nd row in defence, coming in late in the halves.
It takes advantage of his versatility, eases him into a role he was originally bought for, and gives him the chance to show what he can do whilst not over-exposing him to questions of fitness or defense.
Otherwise he is pigeonholed as a centre, with very little need to run at fullback at training (we seem to have more fullbacks at this club than second rowers).

Active Now

• Ozired
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • bazza
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • cento
  • Morkel
  • Nerd
  • Footy Fanatic
  • BroncosAlways
  • Organix
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.