Broncos 2020 Squad

kooly87

NRL Player
I don't think it was done correctly to give him the best chance. He was playing seven up till hurting his foot for Queensland and then he had six weeks off. When he came back he went to interchange for two games, then half then interchange then half.

His kicking game and tackling I was impressed with last year but his running and decision making even at half looked laboured. He had five try assists in 12 games in the halves. Two assists when at hooker. From 17 games not great. But it's a hard gig coming in and playing halves.

Tweed at Reddy was his best game at half he ran down the left all day and made breaks. That game he looked sure and confident same thing against Hunters looked like he knew his role and was good.

He looks like a player that needs clarity around what to do.
Surely if he's looking to play 15-30 minutes off the Bench at NRL level he should ideally be playing around 50-60 minutes at Dummy Half at Queensland Cup level on a regular basis and seeing how he handles that first?

State of Origin Rep
Surely if he's looking to play 15-30 minutes off the Bench at NRL level he should ideally be playing around 50-60 minutes at Dummy Half at Queensland Cup level on a regular basis and seeing how he handles that first?
Yeah I would have thought so but I am not too sure Dolphins share the Broncos' vision.

kooly87

NRL Player
Yeah I would have thought so but I am not too sure Dolphins share the Broncos' vision.
I don't blame the Dolphins at all. I respect that they can do what they like with their squad as they see fit. I'm just saying that should be the minimum sort of target for Paix if they really want him to play NRL at Dummy Half, and they really need to see him handling that before we lump him into our NRL plans and just hope for the best.

If he can't play Dummy Half at Redcliffe then Brisbane might need to look at moving him to somewhere he can get that experience, and I mean no disrespect to Redcliffe in that statement at all as their priorities are quite rightly, totally different to Brisbane's.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Just watched an interview on the Broncs' site with Jack Bird, looks like he really is competing with Isaako for that fullback spot.

Excellent. I don’t have a heap of faith in Isaako being much more than a Hoffman style FB with a GK boot. Competition can only make him work harder while providing opportunity for the depth guys to develop into what we actually need - a star FB. Plus, if Bird is fit and firing, I’ll be excited to see what he can do at FB. He must stop crab-crawling across the defensive line, though.

JAHHW

NRL Player
Excellent. I don’t have a heap of faith in Isaako being much more than a Hoffman style FB with a GK boot. Competition can only make him work harder while providing opportunity for the depth guys to develop into what we actually need - a star FB. Plus, if Bird is fit and firing, I’ll be excited to see what he can do at FB. He must stop crab-crawling across the defensive line, though.
TBF, if done right, “crab crawling“ can be very dangerous.

Worked a treat for Hodges from fullback in 2006.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
TBF, if done right, “crab crawling“ can be very dangerous.

Worked a treat for Hodges from fullback in 2006.
Hodgo is probably not the best example as he’s an exception to the rule. The amount of upper body strength he had was phenomenal. Bird has chicken wings, but I’ll admit, does seem surprisingly strong.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter