OPINION Broncos are winning the 2023 NRL Premiership

I don't think it's that controversial to say he thinks a team that largely relies on attacking brilliance is the underdog against a team that has won b2b and has set the standard defensively the last few years.

Mind you, we've conceded the 2nd least amount of points, and he did only specify Penrith, so perhaps that's more of a comment with an asterisk rather than a full blown can't win don't try comment.

They may well beat us with experience and cohesiveness. Then again, we may be the hungrier of the two teams given they've been on the go for the better part of 4 years. Sometimes there's only so much juice you can squeeze out of a team before a rebuild is required.

Still think this thread should be deleted/locked.

Y'all are getting carried away, trying to predict and the future and shit.

The most important game is the next one. We only need to focus on the next game for the rest of the season. There's no need or benefit to think about where we're going to finish, or potential finals fixtures.

Keep it simple and everything else will fall into place.
It’s all good. We have no influence at all on the result so we are free to get as carried away as we want. As long as the actual staff and players don’t

He has point about our defence, but I think it's much better than it has been the last few weeks (thinking about our games against the Sharks and Panthers). If we can get that defence back we easily have the attack to win it.

Penrith have the best defence in the comp, but I think we just have the individual talent which no defensive system can stop.

If the Tigers can beat a full strength Panthers team, anyone can.

If we play to our potential, complete high and don’t turnover the ball so easily, we could beat them.

Panthers are one side we’ve been able to trouble the past few years.

It’s just a matter of getting to that point and whether we can.

This is the same Gus that reckons Penrith will win the next 4 comps in a row. Just stroking his ego these days. Penrith aren't that far in front of everyone in this comp. They will drop a few games before the finals I reckon.

Not to mention, the Dogs threw nothing at Penrith last game and they still conceded pretty much the same as we did against them but with their first team in. Everyone is scared of us because we didn't play well against the Rabbits and still blew them away when we flicked a switch. We can beat Penrith and I think our team believes now too.

If we play to our potential, complete high and don’t turnover the ball so easily, we could beat them.
This is the key really, Penrith just grind you down and play high % football. Kicking game needs to be on point to reduce the likes of Edwards and To'o making easy metres out of their own end.

This is the key really, Penrith just grind you down and play high % football. Kicking game needs to be on point to reduce the likes of Edwards and To'o making easy metres out of their own end.

I don't see why teams don't just kick the ball into touch.

Penrith have arguably the best kick return in the comp and build momentum off the back of that, so just kick the ball into touch. Even if you have to sacrifice 10 metres to do it, it's better to have them returning the ball against a set defensive line then a staggered one.

To me the team concedes too many errors. My other worry is ruck infringement 6 again. Each game we seem to give away so much field position and give so many meter's away.

If they sharpen this up, watch out.

This absolutely. Gus isn't wrong IMO. We're lacking a bit in finals experience too, but most of our squad are either involved in Origin or internationals so hopefully we don't choke.

The key is belief. And I'm starting to see it in this squad. I have a feeling our tough run home will either knock us down a few pegs and we go out with a whimper...or we'll ride the tide of winning all the way.

We're, what $4 - $5 to win the premiership? So there's only a ~20% chance that we win it at this point? Imagine being an expert with an ego and staking a claim that sounds inspired and researched, but is actually an 80% chance of being correct. Tough gig, Gus.

IMO on our day if we can put a complete performance together we have the ability and strike to bully, overpower and beat anybody, the challenge for this team is putting all the things we can do together and doing it for the 80 minutes.

Gould:

“I don’t think the Broncos can win the comp this year. I just don’t see enough in their defence to win it. I think the Panthers have got a far better defence than they have, but the Broncos have certainly got the athleticism and the strike power. They’re a good side, their performances show that, but they’re not going to beat Penrith at finals time.”​
“Over the next couple of years, they are one of the clubs that can rise to the occasion, depending on how long Adam Reynolds can keep going. And if he can’t keep going until they win a premiership, who are they going to put in that number seven jersey? Over time, will it be Ezra Mam? Are they thinking about Reece Walsh coming up from No. 1 and (Selwyn) Cobbo to fullback? They’ve always got young kids coming through the system.”​
Walters:

“We are worried about ourselves and Phil should be doing the same with the Bulldogs. We know we have some work to do defensively, we are aware of that, we are working hard on that. But we have come a long way with our defence compared to last year. Still there is a bit to go and that will be showcased against the Roosters.”​
“There’s a lot of belief within our group both the players and coaching staff and everyone involved in the club. We haven’t played our best football yet, that’s in front of us. I am really enjoying my job, it’s part of my role here and all the coaches to get the place better. We are better, but we’re not the complete package, so we’re working really hard to get that complete package. When we do that, and it’s not far away I can assure you, we might change a few people’s minds.”​

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • sooticus
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncsgoat
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • mitch222
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.