-NEWS- Broncos coach insists Milford best at No 1.

heartly87

QCup Player
The one thing I noticed last week is Boyd can read the game very well, in that he generally knows when to rush someone and shut down the play. I think that’s where his wing play has been helpful. Credit where it’s due, he did make some crucial tackles or first contacts.

But you just cannot have someone at 5/8th that will only tackle
Maybe we put an extra 10kg on him and turn him into a lock second row super sub like Hancock haha :noooice:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Credit to him, he does read the game and opposition attacking structures pretty well and is a good talker. This is why WB moved him to left centre for a few games last year when our left side (milf, kahu and oates) was leaking points.

When our halves are fit, i think the centre position may be likely for him. But when bird is fit, who knows.
To whom do you refer?

theshed

NRL Player
I’ll openly admit I was one of the people on here over the last few seasons shutting down anyone suggesting Milford should move back to fullback. I’m sure if you go back through those posts I was even condescending about it at times. But I was definitely wrong.

Milford looks to be loving playing fullback and he is far grittier than I expected. He’s running hard and looks troubling every time he touches the ball. He had one great aggressive leaping take against the titans that really showed me how wrong I was. Milf is starting to look like the superstar we all knew he was.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
I’ll openly admit I was one of the people on here over the last few seasons shutting down anyone suggesting Milford should move back to fullback. I’m sure if you go back through those posts I was even condescending about it at times. But I was definitely wrong.

Milford looks to be loving playing fullback and he is far grittier than I expected. He’s running hard and looks troubling every time he touches the ball. He had one great aggressive leaping take against the titans that really showed me how wrong I was. Milf is starting to look like the superstar we all knew he was.
A lot of us felt the same but it was largely due to the fact that Wayne probably would have never moved Milford to fullback especially while Darius was there.

pagey

NRL Captain

Same here mate, the extra space he's getting at the back is letting him utilize his skills more. I still believe he could be a great 5/8th if we played deeper, but am happy to leave him at the back.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The thing I loved most was that Milf almost stopped both Titans tries, he was frantically trying to hold those players up long enough until help arrived and he did a fantastic job in doing so, he was millimeters from getting it done on both tries.
Personally I think he did stop Don but because the decision went up as try, they had no choice but to give it.

I think Don was short.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Personally I think he did stop Don but because the decision went up as try, they had no choice but to give it.

I think Don was short.
Yep I won't disagree with that, I thought he stopped him too but it was given a try unfortunately. Was a fantastic effort from Milf.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I'm enjoying it.

I think he's already lost a bit of weight too? Once (hopefully not if) he gets fully match for for the position he has the potential to be better than someone like Tedesco.

He needs to work on his support play a bit more but I really think that's more a fitness thing than a game awareness thing so it'll come with time.

pagey

NRL Captain
I'm enjoying it.

I think he's already lost a bit of weight too? Once (hopefully not if) he gets fully match for for the position he has the potential to be better than someone like Tedesco.

He needs to work on his support play a bit more but I really think that's more a fitness thing than a game awareness thing so it'll come with time.
He has a better skill set than tedesco but for me I think it's Tesco's competitiveness that sets him apart atm. If milf can compete at his level he could be anything.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Milf is clearly a better fullback than Boyd at this point in time but he should still be at 6.

He has the ability to be an elite level 6 but I don’t see him getting close to Tedesco tturbo or ponga when it comes to influence on a game from 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 007

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Milf is clearly a better fullback than Boyd at this point in time but he should still be at 6.

He has the ability to be an elite level 6 but I don’t see him getting close to Tedesco tturbo or ponga when it comes to influence on a game from 1
I tend to think the opposite! For me being the chief isn't the best fit and having to make fewer tackles keeps him fresher for attacking moves. He gets much more time to watch for weaknesses, players still stinging from defensive efforts and others who may be hampered, slow or just plain lazy and uninterested. I'm not convinced he has the psychological makeup for the 5/8 role. He even looks to be a bit lighter , not so beefy which I believe he thought he needed for the defensive side of things.

Tom

State of Origin Rep

Nah he had 4 years to become elite. Wasn't happening. He is showing us now he belongs in the 1.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Nah he had 4 years to become elite. Wasn't happening. He is showing us now he belongs in the 1.
He was one of the best 6’s already and was having to adapt regularly to different roles. He’s never going to displace ponga as the best 1 for Qld

theshed

NRL Player

While he definitely isn’t the big bodied straight running type fullback like Teddy or Trbo, I think he is actually very similar to Ponga. He isn’t on his level yet but he has the potential for sure. I think his time at 5/8 makes him very influential on a game, he can run and break tackles but he also has a good passing game and kicking game. He created 2 (one from the ground admittedly) tries from fullback yesterday and scored his own.

RN we are basically the Knights without Pearce and with better forwards.

QCup Player
I also agree he will ultimately be better at 6 but the 9 and 7 need to be running the team for Milf to be his absolute best at 6. He needs to be floating in and around the ball without creative pressure. We have long term solutions for both number 1 and 9, however Boyd and Macca are stuck in the way literally.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
He was one of the best 6’s already and was having to adapt regularly to different roles. He’s never going to displace ponga as the best 1 for Qld
I doubt he entered into the role thinking he has to be better than Ponga. I think he was slowly getting worse as a 5\8, as though he didn't want to be playing there. He couldn't even make the Qld utility role as a 6.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter