Broncos Confirm 2018 Trials

Is anyone else starting really get excited about our team this year? At the end of last season I wasn’t confident at all but I’m feeling a real shift at the club. Our forwards are starting to really build towards something. Add to that a centre pairing of Jack Bird and James Roberts, and Kevin Walters coaching two of the most exciting and elusive halves, I actually really think we may be something special this year. With or without a top tier kicking game.

I know it was only a second grade titans team but Lodge added a passing game up front that we haven’t seen since Parker retired. It was a huge part of the success of our halves in 2015. Sammy looked very hungry up front too, put on some really aggressive shots in defence, and threw the ball around.

Bennett did say a while ago he was going have Thaiday starting front row. Would be interesting if Boyd was available to see who got the spot

Bennett never said it, Thaiday on the other hand said he accepted he was no longer going to play in the second row and he would put his hand up to be run on prop.

it will be interesting to see the team named for round 1 ... based on that lineup it appears that:

Isaako, Pearson and Opacic are fighting it out the 2 vacant backline positions for round 1

That is our starting pack for round 1. (obviously with Macca coming back in)

Murphy looks to be leading the race for the bench utility position (+ back up hooker)

It is weird that Oates is not in the 17 ... I wonder if Bennett wants him to get a couple of games under his belt at backrow in the ISC before playing NRL in the position.

I'd say if we are leaving Kahu on the wing, Opacic will defiantly be playing center imo. Wayne knows what he is getting with him and knows he can rely on him. Issako is a complete unknown quantity on the wing, and Pearson probably has a bit to prove again, so i'd say the last spot in the backs will be down to if he wants to risk Issako, or give Pearson a chance to show he has what it takes. I personally feel he will go with Pearson.

No one has seemed to mention but Dave fifita in the fourth quarter was immense.

I think
Offa, Lodge, Thaiday, Fifita, Roberts, Niko, Sua and Murphy had outstanding games.

Isaako, Kahu, Pearson were solid without being excellent in the back three. Same to Opacic and Sims. Isaakos try saver at the end was a real highlight for me.

Was slightly disappointed by some of the more experienced players, namely Glenn (where was he) , Nona (stifled direction) and Tagataese (solid in defense but two dumb penalties)

All in all a very complete performance, didn't let the titans in at all. I was stoked

No one has seemed to mention but Dave fifita in the fourth quarter was immense.

I think
Offa, Lodge, Thaiday, Fifita, Roberts, Niko, Sua and Murphy had outstanding games.

Isaako, Kahu, Pearson were solid without being excellent in the back three. Same to Opacic and Sims. Isaakos try saver at the end was a real highlight for me.

Was slightly disappointed by some of the more experienced players, namely Glenn (where was he) , Nona (stifled direction) and Tagataese (solid in defense but two dumb penalties)

All in all a very complete performance, didn't let the titans in at all. I was stoked

I was very disappointed with Pearson’s game, he got a try that was almost handed to him but other than that he didn’t do much and didn’t go looking for work either he just stayed on his wing.

What has he said this time?
Basically that after losing Hunt, it’s fair enough to give Kodi a go at 7 but they have blundered by not having bought another Kodi type player for the bench spot.

I still don't think we can confirm what our utility situation will be from that line up. There was suggestion that Murphy or Turpin may get it to cover halves/hooker (although Murphy would appear to be in front given these trials).

Alternatively Bennett said last year he likes an outside back on the bench to cover concussions, but also carried Benji several times for halves back up.

So to me it is still up in the air. Could be good for Oates to start the year in ISC simply to get miles in his legs as a second rower and carry Murphy for the first few rounds until they're certain macca has fully recovered.

Bennett will probably just rotate as required given the depth he has.
From what I saw of the Titans game Murphy needs to rapidly improve his ball security.

Basically that after losing Hunt, it’s fair enough to give Kodi a go at 7 but they have blundered by not having bought another Kodi type player for the bench spot.

**** he’s scraping.

I'd say if we are leaving Kahu on the wing, Opacic will defiantly be playing center imo. Wayne knows what he is getting with him and knows he can rely on him. Issako is a complete unknown quantity on the wing, and Pearson probably has a bit to prove again, so i'd say the last spot in the backs will be down to if he wants to risk Issako, or give Pearson a chance to show he has what it takes. I personally feel he will go with Pearson.
I hope you're wrong here. Pearson lacks involvement, and his contributions aren't classy enough to justify a low work rate. I think he has talent but just doesn't get involved at all some games. For me, the perfect winger is error free with classy game breaking moments and a high work rate. Whilst isaako may be a risk on the wing from a positional perspective, he has out performed Pearson in all 3 of these areas when I've seen them play..

Just on the team in general, I feel there have been some decent performances from outside the top 17 players but none have demanded selection with players like haas, Sua, Murphy, staggs, fai, Fifita and Turpin only really pushing themselves up the pecking order but are still too far behind to jag a spot early on in the season...

Great wrap up and I agree wholeheartedly. My only slight point of difference was that I thought Isaako was excellent and Opacic didn’t play up to the standard I’d have expected. TPJ was a dominant figure also.

I forgot about tpj... Actually on second thoughts you're right Isaako had a very good game. I watched in two sittings and think he was better second half but forgot bout his try (wasn't watching him as intently when lodge and Niko were on)

I hope you're wrong here. Pearson lacks involvement, and his contributions aren't classy enough to justify a low work rate. I think he has talent but just doesn't get involved at all some games. For me, the perfect winger is error free with classy game breaking moments and a high work rate. Whilst isaako may be a risk on the wing from a positional perspective, he has out performed Pearson in all 3 of these areas when I've seen them play..

Just on the team in general, I feel there have been some decent performances from outside the top 17 players but none have demanded selection with players like haas, Sua, Murphy, staggs, fai, Fifita and Turpin only really pushing themselves up the pecking order but are still too far behind to jag a spot early on in the season...

It's hard to get a read tbh from the trials wiyh Issako and Pearson due to the opposition being so poor. The only thing I'm going on is I feel Pearson was the better player last year in the ISC for me. I do think that comical game from Jonas against the Eels has set him back a bit.

This will be a tough gig. It's hard going up there and someone nearly always comes back sick. A few ISC clubs don't take the malaria tablets anymore because it makes you feel average when you get back.

They're so physical and if you play the next week which you don't need to in this case you're flat. It's a tough trip for a trial game. JD has his experience from the Pride in 2014 so that'll help.

Broncos have special pillows and all sorts of things going this week.
Special pillows? are Woods and Klemmer making the trip?

What's the rest of the team flying on?

wright.jpg

It's hard to get a read tbh from the trials wiyh Issako and Pearson due to the opposition being so poor. The only thing I'm going on is I feel Pearson was the better player last year in the ISC for me. I do think that comical game from Jonas against the Eels has set him back a bit.

Pearson missed so many games, he played seven less games than Isaako. Hard to compare.

Pearson missed so many games, he played seven less games than Isaako. Hard to compare.

Not really that hard to compare tbh. He missed some due to playing NRL, and what he did do in his ISC games i feel he did better than Issako. The only real variable for me is that he played in a better side than Issako did.

Not really that hard to compare tbh. He missed some due to playing NRL, and what he did do in his ISC games i feel he did better than Issako. The only real variable for me is that he played in a better side than Issako did.

That's a pretty big variable when you are talking about a winger.

Active Now

• Jason Simmons
  • jarro65
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.