Broncos Confirm 2018 Trials

I can't recall any crackdown in 2016.

One of the teams that relied on illegal play the balls was the Sharks, and they won the premiership. Fifita wasn't being pinged for his tunnel balls, Sharks literally won games as a result of them, one of those being the Warriors game they won in extra time.

I remember a crack down in the trials but once the season started, it was like the crack down didn't exist.

Roosters were still getting away with them, JWH being the worst, but they struggled due to a crippling injury toll.

I think it was 2016 they announced there would be a crackdown and it lasted for precisely zero weeks.

Crackdowns last as long as it takes to start hurting the popular teams, as in Roosters, Cows and Storm. After that, if they aren’t impacted, the crackdown continues.

I mean who would be three of the biggest beneficiaries of NFL passes being allowed these days, not those theee teams right?

If you can't recall a crackdown in 2016, and not realise how much cleaner teams were (still far from perfect), compare the NRL teams vs the ESL teams in the 2017 pre-season. The Super League teams were automatically 30% better just because their fast PTB's were allowing them an easy roll-on, and were almost impossible to stop. Fast forward a month or so to the NRL season and all the teams were back to tunnel-ball, knowing the difference it makes.

The crack-down was real even if a couple of darlings were able to get away with a few at critical moments.

I'll reserve my judgement till after the season starts when they aren't playing ISC sides and a second string GC squad. Not to mention, 21+ man squads, unlimited interchange, four quarters, Feburary humidity, limited intensity, the list goes on. It's like a modified version of RL and is nothing like the rigours of a NRL season proper. Which is why I don't even watch the preseason stuff because it tells you absolutely nothing.
Then what the **** is the point of a trial match if allll of the performances are as you deem, circumstantial..

Well Oates must not of been in the second row for bloody that long then.

You're right, he was in the backrow for a quarter at most. Started on the bench and spent the second half on the wing.

I noticed he finished off on the wing which confused me as I was not sure whether Pearson had come off. I was also unable to ascertain when he actually moved over to the wing. I thought - no use in fretting about it as it will all become clearer as the first few games unfold. We're starting the season quite like the way we ended last year. Key positions have players recovering from injuries or ops this year and when Bird eventually gets fit enough to don a Broncos guernsey only then will the team begin to take the shape that WB had in mind. We'll all need to be a wee bit more patient this year. I do hope Benny is cutting out all those newspaper clippings from the Sydney press with all their 'experts' predicting us not even making the eight and plastering them over the gym walls. If injuries avoid us then come September I reckon we'll have a great squad of players to have a red hot crack at the GF.

So he was given some time on the wing in case he is moved back there if the backrow experiment doesn't work out.

Bennett wouldn't have played him in the backrow if he was moving him back to the wing.

Anyone else think Issako could be used as a bench utility regularly at some point during the year? Macca plays 80 and Murphy can only cover 3 positions if they go down. Isaako has 6 potentially - I believe he has played a bit of 6 before. Common last season for Bennet to use Mead or a back on the bench.

We are starting to have a problem in our backrow stocks, well maybe not all a bad problem but we are going to lose a couple of our well developed juniors to other clubs if the risk is taken on Oats at second row. After the Trials, im not entirely convinced with him in the position. He has scored two tries but one of those was while playing wing - where we know he can score them. I just think he is our best option for winger and not our best option for second row, which will come at a price. He may prove me very wrong, but just my observations thus far

Anyone else think Issako could be used as a bench utility regularly at some point during the year? Macca plays 80 and Murphy can only cover 3 positions if they go down. Isaako has 6 potentially - I believe he has played a bit of 6 before. Common last season for Bennet to use Mead or a back on the bench.

Isaako has really impressed me in the two trial games. Shows a lot of confidence and flair and that is what we need. I really really like the look of him

Isaako has really impressed me in the two trial games. Shows a lot of confidence and flair and that is what we need. I really really like the look of him
As a few others have said, he's a Josh Hoffman upgrade. One who seems to actually have talent though

As a few others have said, he's a Josh Hoffman upgrade. One who seems to actually have talent though

Hoffman never had too much agility about him but Issako does he’s got some good footwork. Issako knows he can pass the ball once it’s in his hands as well unlike Hoffman.

Isaako has a long way to go before he can be considered a Josh Hoffman upgrade. Isaako has played 1 NRL game. Hoffman has played 171 NRL games. I would say he is a poor man's Hoffman at the moment. We'll see if he improves on that.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Redfern_1980
  • FACTHUNT
  • Reds2011
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • lynx000
  • porouian
  • johnny plath
  • jarro65
  • Waynesaurus
  • Alec
  • Santa
  • bert_lifts
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.