Broncos Confirm 2018 Trials

Isaako looks a super prospect speed, agility, power and showed a little bit of ball playing. Handy with the drop outs. Looks a player that tries to make things happen and almost set up sua with an offload, albeit forced but not far off.
My observations of Isaako, both in QCup last year and through what I’ve seen of him this year, is that he is a lot like Josh Hoffman but a bigger body and better version.
I can only hope he doesn’t have the same ridiculously high opinion of himself like Hoffman did and that he is happy to play where the team needs him, not where he demands.

I'll reserve my judgement till after the season starts when they aren't playing ISC sides and a second string GC squad. Not to mention, 21+ man squads, unlimited interchange, four quarters, Feburary humidity, limited intensity, the list goes on. It's like a modified version of RL and is nothing like the rigours of a NRL season proper. Which is why I don't even watch the preseason stuff because it tells you absolutely nothing.
I want to start by saying that I’m not looking to offend or incite an argument. With that said, you should probably put a memo out to all the NRL clubs to tell them to stop wasting their time with these ridiculous trial games.
Jokes aside, why the need to be negative toward someone who is just enjoying watching footy and putting their thoughts forward - quite well considered ones too if you ask me.
I believe the majority of people on here understand and agree with your sentiments, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get excited about footy coming back and the opportunity to watch their team run around again.
I understand this forum as a place where people discuss the Broncos and rugby league. But too often, posters or their thoughts are condemned (I’m not saying your condemning in this instance) for showing enthusiasm about the team they’re passionate about.
The Broncos played 2 games yesterday and 2 more over the previous 2 weeks.
As such, I’d consider them open for discussion, like any other game.
Again, not in any way intended as an attack on you - I just don’t see the reason to cut someone down for showing excitement.

Last edited:
My observations of Isaako, both in QCup last year and through what I’ve seen of him this year, is that he is a lot like Josh Hoffman but a bigger body and better version.
I can only hope he doesn’t have the same ridiculously high opinion of himself like Hoffman did and that he is happy to play where the team needs him, not where he demands.
Funny because I was going to say he reminds me of Hoffman as well... but figured the backlash would send the site into meltdown haha

Can't imagine it will be long till we see some of those hunters boys in the Nrl. They looked good and ultra competitive also you know that once a trend hits the ranks of refereeing, it's over. See ya later beards.

Any other time I’d agree with you. But for some reason, the last two PTB crackdowns did last the full season.

What? In what way? The very reason we are here today discussing it is the fact that they didn't stick.

Opacic can't catch a ball can he. Seen him have about 4 touches in the first quarter for 2 knockons...

First dropped ball was a bit of an akward catch, but he needs to cut that out of his game. Tbf, he isnt usually one to drop the ball a lot.

I'll reserve my judgement till after the season starts when they aren't playing ISC sides and a second string GC squad. Not to mention, 21+ man squads, unlimited interchange, four quarters, Feburary humidity, limited intensity, the list goes on. It's like a modified version of RL and is nothing like the rigours of a NRL season proper. Which is why I don't even watch the preseason stuff because it tells you absolutely nothing.
I can't remember saying that I would judge the players completely on trial form, but in the absence of any other testing/insight I'm guessing "trials" are a good place to "trial" out players potential/ability to cope in the nrl prior to the season starting....

They can only play what in front of them and they are still getting compared to other nrl players in the same team. As well, we can only judge on what's in front of us. It's not a definitive judgement...

I can't remember saying that I would judge the players completely on trial form, but in the absence of any other testing/insight I'm guessing "trials" are a good place to "trial" out players potential/ability to cope in the nrl prior to the season starting....

They can only play what in front of them and they are still getting compared to other nrl players in the same team. As well, we can only judge on what's in front of us. It's not a definitive judgement...
I wasn't criticising you for your synopsis, in fact, I enjoyed reading it. I was just giving my opinion on what I think of the preseason. Obviously, it's necessary to get the players in some sort of game shape but the itinerary of this year's preseason schedule has made it hard to judge any form. I much prefer when they play two NRL sides and a WCC match, for me, that is much better preparation. I'm pretty sure Bennett had a side in mind a month ago and depending on injury, he will probably go with the same side.

The PNG game was quite enjoyable to watch. We dont seem as vulnerable on our left side, Kodi has really impressed me, he has gone much better than i expected. Sua was really good.

Watched the Wynnum trial last and here are few of my thoughts.
Whilst early on the young Broncos looked slick, they soon came down to earth with errors and penalties. It became a grind with the error rate and the Wynnum forwards got the better, especially at the end of halves.
Tagatese was a little disappointing. In a game where he should have shined, he looked no better than any of the others there. Haas came down to earth, but he is only 18, so it would be expected. He still has a bright future. None of the other forwards did any better, though I will say funaki played 80 minutes with a number of offloads. He did go missing for runs at the end of halves, but he worked hard for the most part and hits hard. He would be ahead of tagatese in my opinion for a spot on the bench, but that isn't saying much.
The backs for the most part were awful. Moses pangiu, nona, were ordinary, whilst subasaki didnt really involve himself enough and some work out of dummy half could have made a huge difference. Burns really shined though. He's too small for nrl at this stage but looks very promising.
Overall, it was what you can expect from a second string side, though perhaps not as much as you could hope for.

I wasn't criticising you for your synopsis, in fact, I enjoyed reading it. I was just giving my opinion on what I think of the preseason. Obviously, it's necessary to get the players in some sort of game shape but the itinerary of this year's preseason schedule has made it hard to judge any form. I much prefer when they play two NRL sides and a WCC match, for me, that is much better preparation. I'm pretty sure Bennett had a side in mind a month ago and depending on injury, he will probably go with the same side.
No argument there. That's all true. I just want the bloody season to start, trials are all there is at the moment though

I want to start by saying that I’m not looking to offend or incite an argument. With that said, you should probably put a memo out to all the NRL clubs to tell them to stop wasting their time with these ridiculous trial games.
Jokes aside, why the need to be negative toward someone who is just enjoying watching footy and putting their thoughts forward - quite well considered ones too if you ask me.
I believe the majority of people on here understand and agree with your sentiments, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get excited about footy coming back and the opportunity to watch their team run around again.
I understand this forum as a place where people discuss the Broncos and rugby league. But too often, posters or their thoughts are condemned (I’m not saying your condemning in this instance) for showing enthusiasm about the team they’re passionate about.
The Broncos played 2 games yesterday and 2 more over the previous 2 weeks.
As such, I’d consider them open for discussion, like any other game.
Again, not in any way intended as an attack on you - I just don’t see the reason to cut someone down for showing excitement.
Well said! Great comment and cheers!

In defence of accept though, there are definetly worse culprits then him in regards to the above scenario. It's almost ludicrous to think that you are More likely to get shot down for positive comments about the broncos on here then you are if you say them about the storm or cowboys on a broncos fan forum....

I just finished watching the trial and not looking good for Oates he played wing the whole time

Watched the Wynnum trial last and here are few of my thoughts.
Whilst early on the young Broncos looked slick, they soon came down to earth with errors and penalties. It became a grind with the error rate and the Wynnum forwards got the better, especially at the end of halves.
Tagatese was a little disappointing. In a game where he should have shined, he looked no better than any of the others there. Haas came down to earth, but he is only 18, so it would be expected. He still has a bright future. None of the other forwards did any better, though I will say funaki played 80 minutes with a number of offloads. He did go missing for runs at the end of halves, but he worked hard for the most part and hits hard. He would be ahead of tagatese in my opinion for a spot on the bench, but that isn't saying much.
The backs for the most part were awful. Moses pangiu, nona, were ordinary, whilst subasaki didnt really involve himself enough and some work out of dummy half could have made a huge difference. Burns really shined though. He's too small for nrl at this stage but looks very promising.
Overall, it was what you can expect from a second string side, though perhaps not as much as you could hope for.
Lol. I would say if Webcke Civo and Arthur Beetson in his best form played on that waterlogged field they would struggle to look like worldbeaters. What I got out of the Wynnum trial was the players in true contention got a hard workout on a very slow pitch. I'll wager there were some very heavy legs at the end of the match. On Tagatese, he did his job in tradesman like fashion. As a bench forward his job will be very simple, hard direct runs and solid defence. I don't think he let himself down or harmed his claim.

What? In what way? The very reason we are here today discussing it is the fact that they didn't stick.

Because last year wasn’t a crackdown season. The last one was 2016, and teams that rely on fast (illegal) PTB’s struggled all year. I forget which season had the previous crackdown, but it was the same.

I didn’t say the crackdown lasted forever, I said the full season, and that’s what people were concerned about - how far in to this season the crackdown would last.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • sooticus
  • Gaz
  • LittleDavey
  • phoenix
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • pennywisealfie
  • winslow_wong
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
  • leish107
  • ettybay
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • BruiserMk1
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.