Broncos Confirm 2018 Trials

Pffft. Sentiment doesn’t win games. You’re much better off trying to dislocate people’s shoulders, twist necks, and drop knees on calves. And, of course, cheat. That’s how real men play.
Don't forget elbowing people in the head, karate kicking people in the head,conveniently getting too tired or getting clumsy every tackle to slow the play the ball down, cheating the salary cap, and Holding people back in scrums.
We joke but I can't think of any team that would hate the game of rugby league so much to devalue its spirit this much.... surely there isn't one, and this said team doesn't get away with it from the nrl.....

Watching the replay now on the Broncos website. This penalising for not playing the ball correctly is gonna get annoying this season. And/or they're gonna stop penalising it after 2 weeks.

Watching the replay now on the Broncos website. This penalising for not playing the ball correctly is gonna get annoying this season. And/or they're gonna stop penalising it after 2 weeks.

Or coaches are going to learn that they’ll be penalised out of the game and instruct their players to play it properly.

Or coaches are going to learn that they’ll be penalised out of the game and instruct their players to play it properly.
Ideally this would be happen, but the reality is that it will be forgotten about after 2-3 weeks and we'll be back to where we were last season. Same shit happened last year with the wrestle in the ruck.

Just watched 3 play the balls in a row that did't use the foot and no penalty... Gonna be a cluster.

Some of these refereeing decisions are bizarre. Pearson makes a break down the left, 2 guys hanging off him, he gets up to play it and gets pushed in the back as he's playing it; penalty against Pearson for not getting to his feet.

I can see this season is gonna be frustrating in this respect yet again.

Opacic can't catch a ball can he. Seen him have about 4 touches in the first quarter for 2 knockons...

I was just about to say the same thing. One he knocked on with basically an open tryline in front of him. All he had to do is draw and pass and we score. Horrible handling.

What I got from the 2 trials yesterday..

Nikorimas kicking game has been near perfect so far, long-medium and short kicks
Milf looks switched on and bossy on the field
Milf looked bigger then last year, but in a very healthy-athletic way actually
Thaiday as a hooker if Macca can't play a full game initially gives our team a better balance and he isn't bad BUT Murphy looks very good there. Our depth at hooker is much better then last year with Turpin as well
I like the idea of Oates coming on for 20 at 2nd row then finishing the game on the wing-it'll make sure his fitness builds and gives other teams a bit of a different angle to deal with late in the game
McGuire looked a bit rusty
Lodge has continued to impress, along with sims and ofa
Sua is a classy young talent, if Oates didn't make his change Sua would have nabbed a bench spot for 15+ games his year easily-he may get 10 instead now pending injuries
I am still expecting TPJ to kick on this year but I do hope the media drama didn't effect him too much as he hasn't outshone the others in the trials
Pearson played really well but he still didn't get involved like I want him too, but I wouldn't be unhappy if he got picked over isaako-although still isaako for me, I think he has shown enough to justify not going to the market for a fullback if he continues to improve and sticks around-it may benefit to get him on the wing for first grade exposure too

On the reserves trial:

Haas didn't have a great game and may have had the dropsies early but he pushed a grown man forward back 20 metres and made 15+ metres on numerous runs with 2-3 players on or with him-there is more then media hype to him. He will play more then 1 or 2 games this year
Tagatese took it easy. He will teach he young players well-it takes more then physical potential to be a top notch nrl player, he still looked like a decent-ish back up though, especially defensively
Burns looked good, may be worth investing time in him as a bench utility for the future-he looked good in both trials and impressed me previously
Shibasaki has talent but is like Pearson and Allan, lacks involvement. Our backs aren't brimming with exciting talent like the forwards
Paix looked good against a more senior team, for a halfback that young he certainly looked the goods and he called the shots
Nona has definetly dissapointed. He passes too deep, players always having to reach behind them and slow themselves down

Just my thoughts....hurry up round 1!

Just watched 3 play the balls in a row that did't use the foot and no penalty... Gonna be a cluster.

I don't think it was specifically changed stating to use the foot, just at least attempt it. I think they're only cutting out the really shitty ones. Sideways, not square, and just flat rolling it without making the leg look like it's doing the work.

It won't effect us much. Bennetts teams always do those simple things well and we don't have those huge players who steamroll then do a tunnel ball for momentum anyway. Blair did a lot but he's gone now

It'll hurt the sharks the most by far, it was andrew fifitas best asset tbh. Got a big roll on tunnel balling it after a big run

If the refs and the NRL had a backbone this is what would happen.

Unfortunately this will last about 3 weeks tops. Bellemy and Green will publicly humiliate the refs repeatedly and wear their 10k fine with pride like the bunch of heroes they are. Then Uncle Nick will call Toddy boy with some timely reminders of who is in charge and it will be tunnel ball as usual.

I don't think it was specifically changed stating to use the foot, just at least attempt it. I think they're only cutting out the really shitty ones. Sideways, not square, and just flat rolling it without making the leg look like it's doing the work.

The fine print of the ruling always stated that they needed to at least make an attempt to play the ball with the foot, they've never actually had to use it.

Like you said, the new ruling was brought in to stop the tunnel balls, sideways play the balls, not getting to the feet etc.

We will still see plenty of players not putting the foot on the ball and not get penalized, because that's not what they are trying to cut down.

If the refs and the NRL had a backbone this is what would happen.

Unfortunately this will last about 3 weeks tops. Bellemy and Green will publicly humiliate the refs repeatedly and wear their 10k fine with pride like the bunch of heroes they are. Then Uncle Nick will call Toddy boy with some timely reminders of who is in charge and it will be tunnel ball as usual.

Any other time I’d agree with you. But for some reason, the last two PTB crackdowns did last the full season.

Some of my thoughts on the PNG game.
Despite it being our least productive period I really liked the shape of our attack in the 2nd quarter. Milf was receiving the ball from first receiver and we were stretching the defence with a lot of wide passing from sideline to sideline. Second half got sloppy but good to see us putting on some tries.
  • Isaako looks a super prospect speed, agility, power and showed a little bit of ball playing. Handy with the drop outs. Looks a player that tries to make things happen and almost set up sua with an offload, albeit forced but not far off.
  • Opacic his defence is excellent and has laid a few players out already. Hands let him down this game but should get rd 1 for his defence alone.
  • Milford thought he looked great in 2Q came on and was receiving from first receiver which is a great sign. Second half looked a bit sloppy from the team as a whole but it looks like milf will be given the reins and his involvement was high
  • Kodi looked very comfortable in the first half. Kicking was good and he took the ball to the line well. Got a little bit lost when milf was out there so might be some teething problems early. Was good for him to come up against PNG with their fast aggressive defensive line and remain composed
  • Lodge dominated... looks strong in offence and defence. Looks quick laterally and showing some good offloads.
  • Glenn Gillett and McGuire all looked rusty.
  • Sims really impressed me. Looked strong running the ball and put on some big shots. Will bring great impact off the bench
  • TPJ excellent first stint. Looks like he has carried on from last year. Hoping for a big year coming up.
  • Oates thought he made some good runs coming on for Glenn. Found it odd that he was put out on the wing during a trial. Only thing I can think of is that he is being sounded out as the utility with Sammy to cover hooker??
  • Loving the look of sua. Looks bigger than last year, great offload to set up kahu's try. Looked more involved in the titans game but it started getting a bit sloppy out there whilst he was on.

Nikorimas kicking game has been near perfect so far, long-medium and short kicks
Thaiday as a hooker if Macca can't play a full game initially gives our team a better balance and he isn't bad BUT Murphy looks very good there. Our depth at hooker is much better then last year with Turpin as well
I like the idea of Oates coming on for 20 at 2nd row then finishing the game on the wing-it'll make sure his fitness builds and gives other teams a bit of a different angle to deal with late in the game
Sua is a classy young talent, if Oates didn't make his change Sua would have nabbed a bench spot for 15+ games his year easily-he may get 10 instead now pending injuries
I am still expecting TPJ to kick on this year but I do hope the media drama didn't effect him too much as he hasn't outshone the others in the trials
Pearson played really well but he still didn't get involved like I want him too, but I wouldn't be unhappy if he got picked over isaako-although still isaako for me, I think he has shown enough to justify not going to the market for a fullback if he continues to improve and sticks around-it may benefit to get him on the wing for first grade exposure too

On the reserves trial:

Haas didn't have a great game and may have had the dropsies early but he pushed a grown man forward back 20 metres and made 15+ metres on numerous runs with 2-3 players on or with him-there is more then media hype to him. He will play more then 1 or 2 games this year
Tagatese took it easy. He will teach he young players well-it takes more then physical potential to be a top notch nrl player, he still looked like a decent-ish back up though, especially defensively
Burns looked good, may be worth investing time in him as a bench utility for the future-he looked good in both trials and impressed me previously
Shibasaki has talent but is like Pearson and Allan, lacks involvement. Our backs aren't brimming with exciting talent like the forwards
Paix looked good against a more senior team, for a halfback that young he certainly looked the goods and he called the shots
Nona has definetly dissapointed. He passes too deep, players always having to reach behind them and slow themselves down

Thanks for your detailed thoughts, I haven’t watched but it seems a good synopsis!

Patrick Templeman looks a brilliant young fullback. Who’s he affiliated with?

He won the CM Medal in 2015 and then did was injured a large part of last year. Very skilled half or fullback. Wynnum need him to play all year.

On the reserves trial:

I'll reserve my judgement till after the season starts when they aren't playing ISC sides and a second string GC squad. Not to mention, 21+ man squads, unlimited interchange, four quarters, Feburary humidity, limited intensity, the list goes on. It's like a modified version of RL and is nothing like the rigours of a NRL season proper. Which is why I don't even watch the preseason stuff because it tells you absolutely nothing.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • sooticus
  • Gaz
  • LittleDavey
  • phoenix
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • pennywisealfie
  • winslow_wong
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
  • leish107
  • ettybay
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • BruiserMk1
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.