NEWS Broncos need to have tough conversation with Boyd

another example is the Brisbane Broncos in 1991, there were calls to sack Bennett after missing the finals (it was his 4th year at a club with plenty of origin and Aus reps in the side). they stuck with him and the following year, he won back-to-back premierships

91 was different to this, It was a frustrating year not a poor year football wise. They had six games where they scored the same number of tries as the other team- and lost.

They finished on 26 points in 7th and second finished on 29. Losing by point to Wests after Walters sent off, losing to Tigers and Easts at home when they had it won. One more win and they climb over Wests and finish fifth.

After nine rounds and only eight points the Broncos five losses were by no more than 10 and they'd scored 158 points for and 125 against. They didn't play badly.

Broncos beat 4/5 top five teams during the year also, if one more win they would have caused problems in the finals on the back of five wins in a row too I think they could see it wasn't a bad year just a 'bad' year.

Having said that not only did they give Bennett another four years they gave him 4% of the company too.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, i can see reflections of newcastle in our team. Gradual decline in performance, culminating in shit hitting the fan (funnily enough, post bennett- but i would not say he was the total cause of that, that rests on tinkler). Now we have A lot of young players with promise that may take time to find their feet. So like newcastle we may have a few lean years.

Yep ... there's no escaping the reality. Signing one or two new, top notch players isn't going to fix this. I think we're in for some lean years - no denying that.

Promising things to look forward to:

* Our front row rotation is on par, if not better than the rest of the competition - if you look at potential - Lodge, Haas, Flegler, Offa
* Milford back at fullback could be awesome
* A backline with Oates, Coates and Bird
* Fifita, Staggs Carrigan, Deardon and Turpin reaching their potential

I don't see how we're going to end up like the Knights. Our jr talent is actually good unlike theirs (remember that they bought most of their current roster Roosters style, very few of their jrs have actually come good). We're having a year like the rorters have every once in a while when they shift their roster around to bring in the missing links they need to challenge for the prem. If we don't sign a big name in the spine then I'll start to worry for next season.

Last edited:
91 was different to this, It was a frustrating year not a poor year football wise. They had six games where they scored the same number of tries as the other team- and lost.

They finished on 26 points in 7th and second finished on 29. Losing by point to Wests after Walters sent off, losing to Tigers and Easts at home when they had it won. One more win and they climb over Wests and finish fifth.

After nine rounds and only eight points the Broncos five losses were by no more than 10 and they'd scored 158 points for and 125 against. They didn't play badly.

Broncos beat 4/5 top five teams during the year also, if one more win they would have caused problems in the finals on the back of five wins in a row too I think they could see it wasn't a bad year just a 'bad' year.

Having said that not only did they give Bennett another four years they gave him 4% of the company too.
I'm sure if we sign 5 or 6 established rep players, including a player of immortal level such as Lewis, people like broncosgoat will be satisfied with 1 finals appearance in 4 years. I could just imagine the weekly meltdowns on here. These are the same people who claimed to be proven right after about 2 losses into a 5 year contract...

Ridiculous! How exactly has Siebold fucked the club?

A new coach needs time to make the changes and bring success - judging too early is a certain recipe for failure

Example from another code - SANFL (back in the days when it was a serious comp), Sturt appointed Jack Oatey in 1962 to drag them out of mediocrity and he failed to take them to the finals. Instead of sacking him, they persisted. 2 years later Sturt are in the Grand Final and he then led the team to 7 SANFL Premierships (a record at the time) including the famous five in a row from 1966 to 1970

The moral is patience

Oh and our former coaches name is Bennett

Siebold has fucked the team that is for sure.
In my opinion he can't coach and I base that upon the disinterest the team shows and the fact that he has won 7 of his last 21 games as a first grade coach.
Every single player in the side has gone backward under his tenure.
Jack Oatley, give me a fucking break, he coached an armature game a lifetime ago.
Our current coach is being paid millions unlike poor old Jack and to compare the two is well, dictionary definition of ridiculous.
I don't expect our team to win the comp every year, at least in 2015 I was entertained.
Even last couple of years I lived in hope. This year I'm depressed at kick off and at full time it's worse.

In my opinion he can't coach and I base that upon the disinterest the team shows and the fact that he has won 7 of his last 21 games as a first grade coach.
Jack Oatley, give me a fucking break, he coached an armature game a lifetime ago.
Our current coach is being paid millions unlike poor old Jack and to compare the two is well, dictionary definition of ridiculous.
I don't expect our team to win the comp every year, at least in 2015 I was entertained.
Even last couple of years I lived in hope. This year I'm depressed at kick off and at full time it's worse.

Not defending seibold but the woeful ball handling this season is purely on the players. They are professional footballers who have probably been playing the game since under 7s. These fundamental skills should be etched into their DNA by now. This goes for tackling as well. This squad as a whole is just piss weak

Hey kat,

Oatey coached the premier football code in the state at that time, and how much he was paid has no relevance. It is very fair to compare the two. We are talking about how new coach does not always bring immediate success, but with time it can happen. That's all.

As to the rest of your post, at least you make points and engage in the conversation so even if I don't agree, it's still good. The fact that AS has won 7 of his last 21 games as a first grade coach is definitely a concern I share with you, I'm just not ready to say that makes him a dud - yet.

I don't see how we're going to end up like the Knights. Our jr talent is actually good unlike theirs (remember that they bought most of their current roster Roosters style, very few of their jrs have actually come good). We're having a year like the rorters have every once in a while when they shift their roster around to bring in the missing links they need to challenge for the prem. If we don't sign a big name in the spine then I'll start to worry for next season.
I don’t know if we need a big name spine player, just move on the deadwood.

1. Milf
6. ???
7. Dearden
9. Turpin/Seggy

Unless we could buy back Nikorima to play 5/8. If we just fucked off Boyd from the get go and played either Nikorima or Milford there everything would’ve been alright.

I don’t know if we need a big name spine player, just move on the deadwood.

1. Milf
6. ???
7. Dearden
9. Turpin/Seggy

Unless we could buy back Nikorima to play 5/8. If we just fucked off Boyd from the get go and played either Nikorima or Milford there everything would’ve been alright.

I think Milf is a half now for better or worse: he doesn't have the fitness or durability to play FB for the entire season, and his strength at the moment is his kicking game unless he gets back into shape for running the ball. If he doesn't work out next year in the halves we can cut him loose soon enough for a better option (hopefully Paix is the next big thing and we can run Dearden/ Paix in the halves), it's not like he's costing us games like Boyd and Macca.

If we add Ponga or Holmes to the spine you quoted then we're cooking with gas.

Jack Bird has been infinitely better than last year even though he was carrying that sternum injury last season.

Jake Turpin has actually raised his stock 10 fold this season. Same can be said about Payne Haas.

Ofahengaue, Haas and Fifita broke into the Origin arena this year under his tenure. Lodge was also on the cusp for NSW.

The only players I would say you could argue have gone backwards under Seibold are Boyd, McCullough, Isaako and TPJ.

Could make a case for Milford but he has always been rocks and diamonds and is probably playing at the same level as last season.

TPJ at least played his career best game under Seibold.

Isaako has a pretty bad family illness which might explain why his head has not been in the game lately so I’ll cut him a bit of slack.

Boyd and Macca are aging and peaked years ago so their decline under Seibold is no surprise as it was already heading that way alarmingly under Bennett.

I agree Seibold deserves some criticism for some of the lack of success for issues within his control but let’s not throw agenda driven tripe at him about everyone going backwards under him when it is so far from actual fact that it is borderline trolling.

Last edited:
I will inevitably regret getting everyone's hopes up for nothing which is exactly what my luck would have, but judging by everything I'm seeing and hearing, Boyd may as well consider this Sharks game his send off, cause the week after he will be hanging the boots up Inglis style instead of copping the humiliation of being dropped from Captain to reserve grade. Boyd cares about his legacy whether he wants to own that or not, and it's suffering irreparable damage right now.
I bet he won't

I don't agree with it, but I can understand why Seibold hasn't sacked Macca.

Macca's a club stalwart and serial coach pleaser. Seibold needs a senior player in his corner, and it looks to me like Macca is it. You can't fault Macca's attitude, nor his stats. There's no point dropping him to the lower grades to improve because Macca is probably giving 100% already.

I think Seibold needs Macca for solidarity, and Macca needs Seibold to need him to keep his position.

Hopefully, Seibold can find him a position in the coaching squad or in some kind of roving PR position to get him off the field, without either of them losing face. I think we'd all like to see some kind of happy ending for Macca.
I think he should be playing Macca at 7

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.