Broncos' nightmare run home

Yep, simplify the rules and get rid of the video ref. The standard of reffing went downhill massively when they brought in the video ref and all these silly rule changes.

So, yeah, what we've all been saying. But why did he stop there? The logical extension isn't that there will be a billion penalties every game, it'll mean the players either follow the rules or get penalised out of the contest. The most disciplined team wins. A clean game, and the rules get enforced, not managed.

That article will never be taken seriously, I'm afraid.

The NRL's justification that the system works will be the overall crowd attendances each season.

That article will never be taken seriously, I'm afraid.

The NRL's justification that the system works will be the overall crowd attendances each season.

Or how awesome Origin Game 1 was (nothing to do with NSW winning...).

I actually think the refereeing is pretty good in the NRL. People complain because they want perfection - which is an impossible ask. The refs generally do an excellent job.

I would like to see penalties for players taking voluntary tackles to get out of the in goal. Kickers would be rewarded for good kicks and it makes Fullbacks do their actual job.

I actually think the refereeing is pretty good in the NRL. People complain because they want perfection - which is an impossible ask. The refs generally do an excellent job.

Wow!!! Are you ok?

Don't want perfection want competence and fairness. Single ref might be the way sometimes two is just more uncoordinated then one. Like the warren smith article. The other problem is penalties aren't a big deal in the defensive 20 need bigger consequences.

Send a clear edict out in writing for season 2018. 5 minute sin bin again and really use it especially for the oscar nominees and repeat offenders. Professional fouls in trying scoring need to be bin and penalty try. Penalise the crap out of the trials and early rounds and continue the standard set. Take the interpretation out, you are offside or not, you play ball correctly or you don't.

Imagine how free flowing game will be if players are actually afraid of giving a penalty away or getting binned repeatedly.

Need to sack archer and his mates, give a big ref pay rise and bring in some English refs and an English ref coach.

I would like to see penalties for players taking voluntary tackles to get out of the in goal. Kickers would be rewarded for good kicks and it makes Fullbacks do their actual job.
All the kick chase team has to do is not place a hand on the player making the voluntary tackle to get out of the in goal.

That way either the player gets penalised for a voluntary tackle ... or the player gets off the ground giving the chase team a chance to force him back in goal.

Placing a hand on the player completes the tackle

Don't worry, This isn't a problem when Ben hunts kicking the ball.

This is an outlandish statement. No really, I had to read it twice. Why would you even say something like that?

I don't why we are complaining about having a hard draw, Go and take a look at the Cowboys draw and tell me what you think

This is an outlandish statement. No really, I had to read it twice. Why would you even say something like that?

Because I think the refereeing is professional and consistent.

If you want to see bad refereeing watch Super Rugby.

I agree with him. The officials do a good job. People seem to forget that these guys come from the same walk of life as the players and the fans. They are not going to be perfect, the same way that the players aren't and god knows that many League fans are total screw ups. RL will never move forward until this culture of ref bashing subsides. Yes, they can be frustrating at times especially with the technology but they are only human, just like the rest of us. The standard of officiating has improved vastly in the past quarter century.

Last edited:
If Gus saying on TV that refs are instructed to average 16 penalties a game didn't stir an outrage, nothing will.

I agree with the above points. There's a crazy amount of ref-bashing here with some people genuinely believing in conspiracies.

The refs are human. They have to make split-second decisions in a very high-pressure environment while under fatigue while moving. They do this knowing that their every move is going to be overly scrutinised. People watch replays with plenty of angles and can find the correct decision with the unfair benefit of slow motion replays and hindsight. Any man and his dog can do this. The refs don't get that. Put yourselves in their shoes.
Some of you expect no less than perfection which is impossible. They have good days, and bad days, like every other worker.

You guys are also forgetting the fact that the refs will get criticised no matter which way to go on a 50/50 decision. They get decimated by the team's fans who were on the wrong side of the decision no matter which way they sway.

The commentators and the media make things worse by blowing up every contentious decision. If you go back 20 years, can you honestly say the standard of reffing was better? Or could it be that people didn't blow things up back as much back then? They understood that refs aren't perfect, acknowledged that the refs may have gotten it wrong, and moved on.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Painin the Haas
  • Johnny92
  • Jedhead
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • theshed
  • RolledOates
  • leon.bott
  • dasherhalo
  • lynx000
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lostboy
  • Fitzy
  • BooKhaki
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.