Broncos' nightmare run home

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
THE Broncos have the toughest run to the finals of any top eight side.

While no club plays fewer top-eight teams than the seventh and eighth sides, Parramatta and St George Illawarra.

The Broncos play five of the current top-eight sides in the last seven rounds of the competition. The Cowboys and Sydney Roosters, two of the other three sides with 26 points, meet four each.

The Eels and Dragons have to play two each, having already played most of their matches against the best sides, but need to get the job done against lower-placed teams in matches where the fickle nature of the NRL form guide is at play.

Incredibly, given their list of opponents in Round 20-26, six of the faltering Dragons’ past seven opponents have also been against sides not in this week’s top eight and they won only three games (against the Warriors, tigers and Knights).

The red-and-whites are now on the 10th line of premiership betting at $34 with UBET. Melbourne are $2.65, with the Roosters $6, Sharks $7.50, Broncos $9, Sea Eagles $11 and Cowboys $15.

The Broncos play Parramatta twice in the last seven rounds, including an away match next week, which comes in between a clash against Canterbury and one against Gold Coast away.

From there Brisbane play home matches against Cronulla, the Dragons and the Eels before a last-round assignment in Townsville, which will stop every league lover in a lounge room or bar.

It could be that for-and-against determines the top-four positions for the third year in succession.

Of the four sides in equal third place on 26 points, the worst for-against is North Queensland’s (+56) and the best Manly (+68).

The Roosters, two points ahead in second place, have a +53 for-against only and of their four remaining matches against top-eight contenders three are away from Allianz Stadium.

Last year, North Queensland and Brisbane were fourth and fifth on 34 points apiece, with the Cowboys taking fourth and the double-chance on for-against. Canterbury dropped to fifth in 2015 on for-against despite their 32 points being the same tally as fourth-placed Melbourne.

In 2014, 34 points were needed for a top-four finish. In 2015, it was 32 and 2012 36.

So it seems those sides on 24 points this week — Manly, Brisbane, Cronulla and North Queensland — would need to win at least four of their last seven games to be a chance of making the top four.

The Broncos are fourth favourites at $1.65 to make the top four, with the Cowboys $3 chances for the top four but $1.15 to make the finals.

Ninth-placed Penrith are not without a hope of making the finals, having to play three top-eight sides, including the Dragons in round 25. By then, both clubs nor neither might be in finals contention.

Manly play their last four rounds against sides currently outside the eight, with Sunday’s clash against St Illawarra and the following round’s assignment at AAMI Park carrying much weight.

Parramatta have shortened to $1.30 chances to make the finals for the first time since 2009, when the Eels were runners-up.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...h/news-story/cda25e89a742af35a1cd6ec38d684ca6

Didn't we also have a nightmare start to the season. What kind of stitch up is this...
And the middle part of our season wasn't that easy either. I think we just have a shit draw from start to finish

Do the Storm even have a boogie side ? Can't see them not in the GF.

We get the toughest match ups because we're the money makers, the main event. We get ratings, so we avoid walk over clubs with no fans and instead get other big clubs (twice in a season that is) consistently year after year. Other clubs can be mad or jealous, but without the Broncos there wouldn't be an NRL.

We get the toughest match ups because we're the money makers, the main event. We get ratings, so we avoid walk over clubs with no fans and instead get other big clubs (twice in a season that is) consistently year after year. Other clubs can be mad or jealous, but without the Broncos there wouldn't be an NRL.
It's an absolute rort and yet more evidence of how the NRL attempt to fix the competition.

Panthers have dead set had the easiest draw this year... not just their run home. NRL attempted to give them a walk over season to the top 4 following all the "experts" putting them down as favourites and they've completely shit the bed.

I'm thinking dogs and rorters will be the token Sydney teams next year.

I wonder about a conference system? Top 4 in each goes to finals. Each conference plays twice and rest once. Likely Sydney vs non Sydney but make Sydney teams loose a bunch of home games to regional areas or Brisbane where there are crowds and play more short turn around a since they don't travel. Other teams get more travel allowance and a Sydney training facility. The other nsw teams could rotate as well re uneven numbers I.e Sydney, Canberra. Who wouldn't love less Sydney broncos games and rorting? Only issue is we make a large chunk of the money for Sydney teams, attitude might change real quick.

Personally I don't mind our run home. The eels twice should be a good challenge without taking to much wind out of the sails. The sharks and Cowboys to get a good gauge on how well we are travelling then dogs and titans hopefully A chance to build confidence. Good range of teams.

I wonder about a conference system? Top 4 in each goes to finals. Each conference plays twice and rest once. Likely Sydney vs non Sydney but make Sydney teams loose a bunch of home games to regional areas or Brisbane where there are crowds and play more short turn around a since they don't travel. Other teams get more travel allowance and a Sydney training facility. The other nsw teams could rotate as well re uneven numbers I.e Sydney, Canberra. Who wouldn't love less Sydney broncos games and rorting? Only issue is we make a large chunk of the money for Sydney teams, attitude might change real quick.
This makes a lot of sense and it is something that I have suggested in the past. The NRL isn't proactive enough to ever institute such a change though. The imbalance of the current schedule is pretty farcical really but as a fan, it is something that you accept.

And the middle part of our season wasn't that easy either. I think we just have a shit draw from start to finish
The 6 teams we only play once have a combined win/loss record of 41-61.

This is an excellent idea, exactly the reason it will never happen.

I thought it looked pretty soft. No storm, roosters or manly, sharks aren't anything special, dragons are shit, parra are average, dogs are average, cows without JT. We could seriously win 7 straight and finish 2nd.

I swear to god if the cowboys knock us out of the finals four years straight I'm going to lose my shit! They have been our bogey side but this time they don't have Thurston or Scott so I'm much more confident.

I feel like we can beat any team on our day apart from Melbourne. For us to beat them I feel as though we have to play perfect footy and they have to have an off night.

A lot also depends on wether we can stay fit and healthy. Get Boyd and Oates asap!

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Johnny92
  • porouian
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • Lazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.