Broncos NYC 2014

Jayden is carrying the team at the moment. He seems to be the biggest threat when it comes to scoring points. There doesnt seem to be to many points coming from elsewhere which is a big concern, not for the 20's but the overall depth of the club in general. The scary thing is if jayden continues his form that wll ccertainly attract attention from other clubs.... if it hasn't already.

Jayden is carrying the team at the moment. He seems to be the biggest threat when it comes to scoring points. There doesnt seem to be to many points coming from elsewhere which is a big concern, not for the 20's but the overall depth of the club in general. The scary thing is if jayden continues his form that wll ccertainly attract attention from other clubs.... if it hasn't already.

He and his brother are playing great footy without them two they might struggle to find points, the thing that i would be concerned about is where does jayden fit in to the system you have Cody Nikorima Duncan Paia Aua,Ash Taylor hunt,barba hoffman kahu and are chasing Millford cant have them all someone has to miss out and other clubs and managers would know this and will be ready to pounce and would be stupid not to. Jai Arrow is another one they might have trouble keeping i heard the ckooks are chasing him pretty hard and you know what they say money talks and bull ....t walks.

He and his brother are playing great footy without them two they might struggle to find points, the thing that i would be concerned about is where does jayden fit in to the system you have Cody Nikorima Duncan Paia Aua,Ash Taylor hunt,barba hoffman kahu and are chasing Millford cant have them all someone has to miss out and other clubs and managers would know this and will be ready to pounce and would be stupid not to. Jai Arrow is another one they might have trouble keeping i heard the ckooks are chasing him pretty hard and you know what they say money talks and bull ....t walks.

I see your point, will be interesting to see how the club handles the halves situation. They seem to have a lot there but may have to move a few on to accommodate the ones they really want to keep.

In regards to arrow, i have heard the same thing about the chooks trying to poach him away from the club. See how that unfolds as well.

While on it- Dalton is very happy with Paia'Aua, Capras had their first win on Thursday night and Duncan was excellent.

forgive my ignorance - did the broncos elevate him to ISC to get more experience? i was not aware we had ties to the capras. could you give me some more info? thanks

BRONCOS NYC TEAM

1 Kodi Nikorima
2 Elijah Alick
3 Jordan Drew
4 Junior Taefu
5 Tom Opacic
6 Jayden Nikorima
7 Will Brimson
8 Aaron Rockley
9 Jayden Berrell
10 Joe Ofahengaue
11 Ajuma Adams
12 Brett Greinke
13 Kieran Duffin
Interchange
14 Brandon Lee
15 Alex Barr
16 Sam Gee
17 Lindsay Collins
Coach Craig Hodges

Tuttle, Arrow & Fai out with injuries.

Taefu replaces Tuttle, Duffin & Collins make their debuts.

forgive my ignorance - did the broncos elevate him to ISC to get more experience? i was not aware we had ties to the capras. could you give me some more info? thanks

Broncos have a arrangement with the Capras- Oates and Duncan have played this year for them and two forwards did the pre-season with the NRL squad and signed a young forward for the rest of this year and next.

For want of a better term "bit of toughening up" in the ISC for the young half against men.

Im happy to see lyndsay Collins get a call up this week. He is a front rower with a huge future in my opinion. He is no nonsense and really gets into the hard stuff. He has good size and scope also. Of all the young front rowers coming through he is the one that has the most to offer.

Anybody who was there will tell you the same thing.

Brandon Motherfucking Lee.

Seriously, Brisbane couldn't score a point to save themselves until this guy came on the field. He basically took the ball away from Nikorima, kept playing it through the middle and low and behold the Broncos started playing sharper football. His try to basically give us the lead was pure class and if first grade doesn't have a spot for him in a Nathan Peats type capacity I tell you what, there's something wrong with the game because Lee gets it.

Before then, it was one of the most frustrating games you'd ever see.

Souths scored early because Kodi grassed a tough-ish bomb in the corner and they simply spread it to Saumamao who had too much foot-work for Taefu.

But then it was basically all Brisbane. Jayden put in this clearing kick that was just loaded with trouble, seriously, there was so much back-spin or something on it that it was guaranteed to make a mistake and from there, the half was basically played down Souths end.

However, the Broncos looked absolutely clueless. Tackle 1 and 2 would be fine, but they'd go to either Brimson & Nikorima and the play would always be run yourself which didn't work. When the Broncos actually came up with the right play, they'd turn it over.

Fortunately, the Broncos middle defence was AWESOME. It seemed like Adams, Barr, Ofahengaue, Duffin would just snap these guys in half and force a mistake.

But that cycle basically took us to half-time.

Second half we looked better from the start in offence, but a do or die cut-out pass ended up being taken by Young and he basically palmed off Nikorima 3 or so times before scoring. It was pretty dire to watch.

Brisbane basically set camp up inside their half but took an age to score. Finally, Kodi just ran it and drew in the winger to put Alick down who was just too strong down the touch line. It was sweet.

The second try didn't take much longer, after blasting through the middle, Nikorima found Greinke on the fringe and Brett POWERED his way over for a nice try.

Finally there was the run-away Nikorima intercept which looked a little sus, I didn't get clear footage but it appeared Taefu got a touch to it before Kodi ran the length of the field. Eh, doesn't matter, Broncos deserved the win although it was pretty far from convincing.

I didn't think much of the backs. Kodi sort of redeemed himself, the rest were pretty average.

The forwards basically won them the game. Ofahegaue sort of reminds me of Frei, in that he doesn't necessarily bust the line, but his runs are always strong and he gets through a mountain of work. I like how he takes the tough runs through the middle and doesn't try to be overly fancy.

I liked what I saw of Duffin playing the Dallas Johnson role but he only played like 20-25 minutes.

Lee was the man, Berrell was good all-round but needed to show a bit more leadership in the ruck, Barr was heavily involved off the bench and quite versatile while I thought Collins had a nice game off the bench. Showed plenty of enthusiasm when he came on and made some tough runs through the middle.

Overall, a frustrating game and certainly one that neither half would want to remember but the forwards were sweet.

[MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION] ... do you think any of the Broncos halves from that match are ready for an NRL call up. since everyone is desperate for them to be ready

[MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION] ... do you think any of the Broncos halves from that match are ready for an NRL call up. since everyone is desperate for them to be ready

And you are desperate for them not to be ready.

And you are desperate for them not to be ready.

I would love nothing more than for them to be ready ... and if they are ready i would love nothing more than for them to be given a chance.

BUT ... if they are not ready, i would rather they take the time to develop properly rather than risk damaging their confidence, setting their development back (possibly years).

from what i understand from some people who watch the 20s, ATM, the halves are setting themselves up more rather than their outside players. that may be fine in the under 20s but it just won't cut it in the NRL. it is more of the same as what we have at 5/8 right now. (but the 5/8 we have now will be a better defender, and probably have a better running game).

EDIT:

I think we all acknowledge that we fucked up Hunts development by rushing him into first grade (on the bench) and now people seems to be happy to do the same to other young halves... even if it means another long season, we need to take the time to develop them properly.

and IMO development (especially of halves) is a gradual time consuming process.

first we get them into the NYC, where the get exposure to the demands of travel and training and a higher level of competition to what they are used to.

next we move them up to the ISC. where they need to develop their skillset further against more hardened opposition. the learn composure and leading a team around the field. they learn when its best to run, kick or pass. they learn execution. the discover what works and what doesn't.

then when it is time, we throw them in the deep in and give them a shot at the NRL.

If Hunt had have stayed in the ISC rather than the NRL, he would be much further on in his development. he likely would have taken Wallaces spot 1 or 2 years ago at the latest. his kicking game would be more developed. he wouldn't be trying to develop it in the toughest rugby league competition in the world.

TL;DR: even if it means one more long season, lets get our halves ready instead of trying to develop them with the pressure of leading around a club that demands success, and where failure is not acceptable ... just look at the comments on here over the last 18 months

Last edited:
Ofahegaue continues to be outstanding.

Anyone that calls for any of those halves to play NRL is not watching games. Broncos struggled not just to score but to structure the set to be able to score or set for what they wanted. The period after half time they had four sets and couldn't come up with anything.

The try at the end I thought looked dodgy.

I heard that Ofahegaue may get a call up to first grade during the Origin Period?

Out team looked friggin' tiny last night. If the Rabbits could hold the ball and were a bit fitter they would have monstered us. We had some luck in getting over them, that's for sure.

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Rambstien
  • Allo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • OnToSomething
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • xilliun
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.