Broncos NYC 2014

Brendan lee has to be in the nrl team next year he is versatile and has a bit of mongrel which a pack needs. He changed that game for them and surprisingly Barrell looked pretty good playing first receiver towards the end of the game, he couldn't get them going direct from dummy half as he usually does but his passing from first reciever did the trick

@Big Pete ... do you think any of the Broncos halves from that match are ready for an NRL call up. since everyone is desperate for them to be ready

Well it could just be me but I think consensus has moved onto the Queensland Cup to Paia'Aua, Strasser & Kahu.

Might be better too since the halves were absolutely dire yesterday. In fairness, both of them can't even qualify for the NRL even if the Broncos wanted them to play but both are still extremely raw. I think both have a future, but on yesterdays efforts they'd be closer to a demotion than a call up.

Still, despite having a shocker I thought Jayden showed some damn good signs, especially with his kicking game which was just so cruel that I had to feel sorry for Makoare-Boyce, the Souths fullback. It wasn't his best afternoon, but everything I've heard about Brimson is true - he's got a body that's just built for him to play direct and bring it to the line which is an underrated facet in the modern game.

Kodi is being played at fullback and aside from looking like he's going to drop the ball everytime he gets it (ala Barba) all he seemingly does is throw do or die cut-out passes which are inferior to Hodges in everyway. His best play of the afternoon was when he just decided to go himself, drew the defence in and set Alick down the corner. That was good, but he's no where near ready.

In saying that, I don't think he should be played at fullback. That's a self-fulfilling prophecy and how Hook expects him to press his claims from that position is odd. Course maybe that's Kodi's best bet for a future in the NRL, but right now he needs to manufacture a half and this is just plain odd.

Offahengaue was o'k but I wouldn't say outstanding, the wraps on him seem to be a bit pumped up. On the flip side, Lyndsay Collins was top shelf last night and the good thing with him is he is only 18 this year. He is one kid to watch very closely and should stay up in the nyc now rather than meninga/colts for the devils.

Hi Guys,

I have been following the 20's this year and subsequently this forum, and have some observations to share!

First of all Brandon Lee is probably the biggest hitter in this team. Every time he comes on he makes an impact, and his defence is top notch. Jai Arrow is another great defender who has been delivering rib cage rattlers this season. Ofahengaue has impressed, he carries the ball hard and provides decent go forward.

The most polarising figures in this team seem to be the Nikorima boys... They seem to always sniff out a try but I can see why they are criticised. they take the line on more often then not, especially inside the attacking 20. On Friday night the Rabbitohs snuffed out raid after raid in the first half, as each of Nikorima boys (and Brimson to be fair) had cracks at the Bunnies. This forced the Nikorimas into a passing game, and to their credit they created 2 tries in the 2nd half. Jayden a well timed 2nd man play to Kodi which put him outside the centre, allowing him to Draw the winger and put Alick over in the corner. Jayden then put Grienke over with a flat ball into a half hole which Grienke burst threw. Leading 14-12 with the Rabbitohs coming inside the 10m, a loose pass went to ground, as Jayden went to pick it up, a Rabbitohs player got a boot to it, and kicked it into Kodi who was running onto it and went 90m (an opportunist play nonetheless).

I dont see why Kodi is playing fullback, I think it is to give Brimson a shot in the halves. I would like to see Josh Bowen-Bowyer given a shot at fullback. He is in the squad and playing colts for Wynuum at 5/8. However, he played fullback for BBC in Union and was a superstar. there is some footage of him on YouTube... I don't think he has been mentioned much on this forum yet so may not be well known. I would move Kodi to 6 and Jayden to 7 to accommodate. Brimson is quiet young, and will have time later.

Hello Wiz kid, and welcome to the forum.

I was at the game, and completely agree with your summary.
Tbh, I try to keep up with the U20's coming through, but I have not heard Josh Bowen-Bowyer's name before, but if he's as good as you say, I'm sure we'll see him sooner or later in the team...

Keep up the good work! :takdir:

I watched a video of him, he is big, fast and has good hands.

Watching the nines earlier this year I thought nikorima would be in nrl this year I must admit. But watching him now, and the halves in the u20's boy i was wrong. They can get a try but by no means set one up unless it's off individual skill of speed and evasion. They looked awful until the hooker went to halfback and started playing direct

Hunt in the u20's had something like 24+ try assists in his first year. he was different to halves now, that's why I thought he would be something special, and why he won player of the year. Didn't exactly work out but he's doing the job for us now anyway

Watching the nines earlier this year I thought nikorima would be in nrl this year I must admit. But watching him now, and the halves in the u20's boy i was wrong. They can get a try but by no means set one up unless it's off individual skill of speed and evasion. They looked awful until the hooker went to halfback and started playing direct

Hunt in the u20's had something like 24+ try assists in his first year. he was different to halves now, that's why I thought he would be something special, and why he won player of the year. Didn't exactly work out but he's doing the job for us now anyway

Didn't exactly work out? He's 8 games into his rookie season at Halfback.

Oates, Molo, Greinke & Ofahengaue picked in the qld u20s, with J Nikorima 18th man.

Oates, Molo, Greinke & Ofahengaue picked in the qld u20s, with J Nikorima 18th man.

Oates & Molo yes, but greinke and offahengaue???? PLZZZZZZ... Arrow and adams leave both of them for dead

Last edited:
Didn't exactly work out? He's 8 games into his rookie season at Halfback.

I mean he didn't hit the nrl running like many thought he's had to wait and now he's finally got the chance which I am absolutely thrilled about I've been wanting hunt at halfback for years

this game is live on fox at 5:30pm saturday for those interested in watching.

Congratulations to all five.

It's difficult to be critical of any of the selections given how limited the NYC coverage is. While I would have liked to have seen Arrow jag a bench spot, I don't think it's a cut and dry bad selection to have Ofahengaue in-front of him, especially off the bench where Joe can probably provide more thrust.

Can't comment on whether Greinke is the third best fringe runner Queensland has, but on form, I'd take him over Adams who I just find too enigmatic in that role. I was actually pleasantly surprised by Greinke's form on Friday and while I don't know what his stats looked like, I don't think it will matter all that much coming off the bench.

[h=1]Former Souths Logan Magpies player Brett Greinke shining for Brisbane Broncos Holden Cup squad[/h]

• TOM BOSWELL
  • QUEST NEWSPAPERS
  • APRIL 19, 2014 12:00AM

738178-ba615872-befc-11e3-9f81-e39c1729a2e8.jpg

Broncos under-20 captain, Brett Greinke from Springfield Lakes. Picture: Josh Woning. Source: News Limited

HE was the man behind the rise of the likes of Josh Papalii and now Brian Edwards has tipped booming backrower Brett Greinke to become the next Brisbane Broncos star.
The 19-year-old moulded his skills for Souths Logan Magpies player before being signed by Brisbane.He earned a call-up to the Broncos’ opening trial match against the North Queensland Cowboys and made the most of it.Edwards, Brisbane’s Logan-based scout, said Greinke impressed coaching staff during the trial and expected big things from the 190cm and 90kg running machine.“Personally I think Brett is a player that we will see the best of when he is around 23,” Edwards said.
736299-b9bb114c-befc-11e3-9f81-e39c1729a2e8.jpg

Broncos under-20 captain, Brett Greinke from Springfield Lakes. Picture: Josh Woning. Source: News Limited

“Because of his size and frame it will take time to add the strength he needs.“He works very hard and is an absolute great competitor and great guy to have around the club.“He will most likely play in the back or front row and their apprenticeships are usually a bit longer.“Brett ticks every box and I think we should expect him to play a big part in the under-20s side this year.“The coaching staff are very pleased with him.”
736376-dd2640f2-befc-11e3-9f81-e39c1729a2e8.jpg

Greinke has already enjoyed representative stints with the state.He has featured in the Queensland under-16, 18 and university teams in recent years.The young talent will play in his second year for the Broncos National Youth Competition side after enjoying a successful 2013.The Broncos under-20 team is sixth on the National Youth Competition Holden Cup ladder.They have recorded four wins from the opening six games of the season.The unbeaten Newcastle Knights lead the competition.

that's old news champ, and to be honest the quest newspaper wouldn't know rugby league from tiddlywinks.

We HAVE to sign Jayden to a long term contract, sounds like he could be the future of the club.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • RolledOates
  • Big Del
  • Financeguy
  • Gaz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Lazza
  • cento
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  • Muros
  • Allo
  • broncos4life
  • Astro
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Nightwatchman
  • Battler
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.