Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
The Broncos are set to pick up one of the best young back-rowers in the Warriors system as a possible long term successor to veterans Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday. With the two old warhorses getting near the end of their careers, the Broncos are on the lookout for replacements.

And they believe they have found their man in explosive Warriors Holden Cup back-rower Matiu Love-Henry.

The 20-year-old is set to be signed by Broncos feeder club Norths Devils but make no mistake - Brisbane has bigger things in mind for the lanky forward.

A WaiCoa Bay Stallions junior, Love-Henry was signed by the Warriors three years ago while still a teenager.

He starred for Stacey Jones’ old club, Point Chevalier Pirates in Auckland’s Fox Memorial competition in 2013 and was named Auckland Rugby League’s rookie of the year - an indication of his potential.

The 20—year-old has played the past two seasons in the strong Warriors’ NYC team and is ready to make the next step up.

League | The Lurker: Broncos set to sign Warriors star as Thaiday replacement | SPORTAL

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Daniel Vidot signs with Salford Red Devils, that wrestling career sure lasted long.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Daniel Vidot signs with Salford Red Devils, that wrestling career sure lasted long.

when he tweeted about it (or what ever the social media platform he used was) he said that the contract with the WWE didn't start for a couple of years. he had one more contract to complete first

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
I suspect he will almost be as good as Carney over there. Who imo deserves to be in selection discussions for aus.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not sure if this is news but QRL.com revealed that Cowboys Under 20s centre/winger Sam Smith has signed with the Broncos for 2015.

Smith, 19, played two games for the North Queensland Cowboys scoring two tries on debut. Despite a strong start, Smith wasn't happy with the way his career was headed in North Queensland and relocated to the Central Queensland Capras. I believe he made his debut in Round 18 against the Wynnum Seagulls, but I could be wrong as it could have been Round 16 against the Hunters but Prozone have difficulty tracking stats over in Port Morsby. Never the less, he debuted toward the business end of the season where he delivered some impressive numbers.

Round 18 vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls - #19 (Wing) - 6 Hit Ups (44m), 5 Tackles, 1 Missed
Round 19 vs Redcliffe Dolphins - #5 - 1 Run (8m), 1 Tackle (Injured after 26 minutes presumably)
Round 22 vs Sunshine Coast Falcons - #4 - 2 Tries, 2 Line-Breaks, 14 Hit Ups (113m gained), 14 Tackles, 1 Missed
Round 23 vs Tweed Heads - #4 - 1 Line Break, 10 Hit Ups (156m gained), 16 Tackles, 2 Missed
Round 24 vs Souths Logan Magpies - #4 - 9 Hit Ups (76m gained), 10 Tackles, 1 Missed.
Round 25 vs Northern Pride - #4 - 1 Try, 1 Linebreak, 11 Hit Ups (174m gained), 4 Tackles, 1 Missed.

9-2110959-gla161113rugl_fct906x683x63_t620.jpg

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Interesting to note that along with Love-Henry, Norths announced the signing of winger Paul Ulberg from the Warriors Under 20s.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him receive a try out.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I suspect he will almost be as good as Carney over there. Who imo deserves to be in selection discussions for aus.

I just did the maths on this ^ and it doesn't work out ....

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I believe he's talking about Justin Carney, the former Raiders/Roosters winger who suffered a gruesome Yow Yeh esque injury which threatened his career before he turned his career around in the ESL scoring 21, 17 and 15 tries respectively.

Considering Mata'utia was given a shot, I suppose any decent centre/wing deserves consideration but last I heard Carney was in trouble for a Wayne Carey esque episode and was being shown the door despite playing a key role in Castleford's ascent up the ladder (before 2014, they had only made 1 finals appearance in 11 seasons).

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...move-to-brisbane/story-fnp0lyn6-1227611387774

WAYNE Bennett has opened the door for Ben Te’o to resurrect his career at the Broncos as the Cowboys yesterday ruled out signing the former Queensland Origin enforcer.
Bennett believes the Broncos can benefit from the same NRL salary-cap rules that last week enabled South Sydney to re-sign Sam Burgess after his turbulent stint in English rugby.
It was feared the NRL would move to block Te’o’s mooted return from Irish rugby if a club attempted to sign him to a basic, second-tier contract.

But The Courier-Mail understands Te’o will be back in Brisbane next season if the Broncos are prepared to pay at least $350,000 a season for the premiership-winning Maroons hitman.

That was the figure of Te’o’s most recent deal at Souths in 2014 and the NRL’s salary-cap auditor will formally approve any fresh contract offer that matches or exceeds that amount.
Exactly 12 months ago, the Broncos cleared salary-cap space to fund the off-season purchase of Adam Blair and Bennett says Brisbane could act just as quickly to snare Te’o.
“You can always make space in the salary cap if you want to,” Bennett said.
“We made the space last year to bring Darius Boyd and Adam to the Broncos, it cost someone else their careers but we have the ability to do that.
“The salary-cap environment must be right for the NRL because Souths just brought Sam Burgess back.
“If he’s getting $500,000 (annually from the Rabbitohs), then the salary cap rules must be all right.

“At the moment, I don’t know what Ben Te’o is keen to do. He is out there doing his thing in rugby and I’m doing my best for the Broncos.
“If our paths happen to meet down the track, so be it. He’d be good for any roster, but right now he’s overseas playing rugby.”
Te’o would bring a more intimidating edge to the Broncos pack. The 28-year-old played 75 games for Brisbane between 2009-12 before shifting to Souths, where he played a key role in the club’s premiership charge.

Currently playing for Leinster in Ireland, Te’o would not be able to resume his NRL career until next April.
The Cowboys had expressed interest in the former Origin back-rower but are no longer in the hunt — putting the Broncos in the box seat to attract Te’o.
“Just about every club would be keen on Ben Te’o but it would depend on his price tag,” Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said.
“I had a discussion with Ben’s manager about him and where he was at, but I was told he was under contract to rugby union and it didn’t go anywhere.
“We’ve moved on now.”
An NRL spokesman said Te’o would be welcomed back to the code if the Broncos, or any other potential suitor, tabled a deal that was palatable to the governing body.
“A club would put forward a contract to sign him and our salary-cap auditors would make an assessment on whether it reflects his standing,” he said.
“If, for instance, he was undervalued when he left Souths, he would have to be upgraded in any new contract.”

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
350k is a bargain.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
For $350k I am tempted. Who do we move on for him?

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
“If, for instance, he was undervalued when he left Souths, he would have to be upgraded in any new contract.”

That sounds ominous.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Firstly, if he misses preseason and a chunk of the first rounds, surely that would bring his value down for year one. Then, we are free of the frickin' Barba/Kennedy era so that frees up a squillion.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
350k would be a bargain for another club. We let him go because he wanted to start and our back row was overcrowded with talent. What's changed? Even if we keep Thaiday at prop and Oates on the wing Teo's still sitting behind 3 rep backrowers. Back row has the biggest surplus of talent in the NRL - there's no need to stockpile beyond your starting lineup.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Te'o would be an awesome addition. He'd give us that intimidation that we don't really have.

For 350k? Absolute bargain, we'd be mad to not fit him in.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
350k would be a bargain for another club. We let him go because he wanted to start and our back row was overcrowded with talent. What's changed? Even if we keep Thaiday at prop and Oates on the wing Teo's still sitting behind 3 rep backrowers. Back row has the biggest surplus of talent in the NRL - there's no need to stockpile beyond your starting lineup.

Teo would be in the starting side without question. Glenn back to the bench.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If Te'o hasn't declined, I'd say he'd be our best edge 2nd rower right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Waynesaurus
  • whykickamoocow
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Battler
  • GCBRONCO
  • The Strapper
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.