Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Yep I was 100% wrong on the Jayden one. It was really a left field decision as I was certain he would stay. Still think he will be back too....

did I miss a little hint in this smoking joe , that is to I have been asking

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
May as well discount 100 of those games. Playing <15 mins off the bench doesn't do anything for a halfback's game.

While I agree with Port about wanting a more complete half, and let's face it, 90% of the halves in the comp have better kicking and hole-passing games than Hunt does, there simply isn't anyone else better.

Not Sandow. While I enjoy watching him play when he's on, I don't think he can be salvaged.

Conversely, I think a lot of people disregard any player suggestions purely because of their form at certain clubs. Sandow the example here: more hit than miss at Souths and helped them make finals in the first time in forever after some diabolical years since reinstatement. Then went to an awful Parra and got paired with Robson for most of it. Went to ESL and did ok at Warrington.

My point is how do we know he, or anyone else similar ie benji's etc, couldn't come to our club and help us win a title?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Hunt isn't what got us to the Grand Final, Milford is. Hunt sure managed to lose it for us though.

How quickly people forget. Hunt was 5th in the Dally M's and absolutely should have won halfback of the year. Throughout the year he was better than Milford. Even if you watch our hightlights, he was everywhere.

This is ridiculous. I'm not arguing this anymore. Someone create a 'Things we make up about Ben Hunt' thread and ban me from it so I don't have to look at all of the made up crap that everyone keeps fabricating.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
May as well discount 100 of those games. Playing <15 mins off the bench doesn't do anything for a halfback's game.

While I agree with Port about wanting a more complete half, and let's face it, 90% of the halves in the comp have better kicking and hole-passing games than Hunt does, there simply isn't anyone else better.

Not Sandow. While I enjoy watching him play when he's on, I don't think he can be salvaged.

Conversely, I think a lot of people disregard any player suggestions purely because of their form at certain clubs. Sandow the example here: more hit than miss at Souths and helped them make finals in the first time in forever after some diabolical years since reinstatement. Then went to an awful Parra and got paired with Robson for most of it. Went to ESL and did ok at Warrington.

My point is how do we know he, or anyone else similar ie benji's etc, couldn't come to our club and help us win a title?
Yeah everyone is so focused on 'who is a better player' not who fits the system better. Barba was great at bulldogs and at sharks and awful for us. He thrives on a big dominant forward pack, which we don't have. Widdop was really good with Cronk, awful at dragons. Peter Wallace was great when partnered with Lockyer, hasn't been a good halfback since. It all comes down to what the player needs to thrive, and what a team needs from a player. Having Hunt and Milford we have 2 very similar players, one of which is 5 years younger and better, we don't need them both. One of them needs to leave, or improve their kicking game for the Broncos to be a real threat. I would prefer that player to be Hunt as Milford has more upside, but if Milford left and we got a good kicker I also believe hunt would excel as a 5/8.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Yeah everyone is so focused on 'who is a better player' not who fits the system better. Barba was great at bulldogs and at sharks and awful for us. He thrives on a big dominant forward pack, which we don't have. Widdop was really good with Cronk, awful at dragons. Peter Wallace was great when partnered with Lockyer, hasn't been a good halfback since. It all comes down to what the player needs to thrive, and what a team needs from a player. Having Hunt and Milford we have 2 very similar players, one of which is 5 years younger and better, we don't need them both. One of them needs to leave, or improve their kicking game for the Broncos to be a real threat. I would prefer that player to be Hunt as Milford has more upside, but if Milford left and we got a good kicker I also believe hunt would excel as a 5/8.

Think im going to put my trust in Wayne and his team on this, and it's not looking likely hunt will be moved on.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Milford isn't exactly a beacon of fitness either. Give hunt a break, he's our halfback so get used to it

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
How quickly people forget. Hunt was 5th in the Dally M's and absolutely should have won halfback of the year. Throughout the year he was better than Milford. Even if you watch our hightlights, he was everywhere.

This is ridiculous. I'm not arguing this anymore. Someone create a 'Things we make up about Ben Hunt' thread and ban me from it so I don't have to look at all of the made up crap that everyone keeps fabricating.

I'm usually against most of your Pro-Hunt work, but you're correct on this one, Hunt was really good during the 2015 season, we definitely wouldn't have made the GF without him.

If I was to give our halves a grading for 2015 & 2016, with an A+ being Thurston and a D- being Josh McCrone, it'd be -

2015 - Milford A-
2015 - Hunt A
2016 - Milford B
2016 - Hunt B-

They were both worse this year.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Then there is the influence Hunt had for the Broncos in 2014, after a dire 2013 season where we finished 12th, Ben Hunt stood up enormously when the club needed him most(the way people act about 2016 please, go watch the period between 2012-2013, how many people forget they were SCREAMING for Hunt to play halfback) and helped guide the side back into the finals and not surprisingly he picked up 4 club awards that season, Milford's inclusion definitely helped get us to the grand final but stop the bullshit, Hunt was as important to getting us there, likewise both failed to backup in 2016 consistently, not just Hunt.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/11/22/teenage_teammates_to.html

Anyone notice in that training video of Macca, Hunt and Mcguire that Hunt was coming last? I think his fitness, or lack thereof, could be a big part in his poor decision making. He gets forced to be involved in a lot of tackles on that right side, party because teams obviously target halves, but also because Gillett seems to require more help than Thaiday/Glenn do on the left edge in terms of 1 on 1 tackles. Maybe if Hunt was a bit fitter he would maintain composure a bit better? I don't see them train everyday or anything like that, but I just seem to feel he is lazy in terms of training. Losing to a prop in fitness based time trial is pretty poor form, and considering his biggest weakness is his kicking game, which is arguably the easiest thing to 'learn' as repetition is key (look at cronk, everyone says he spends 1-2 hours extra each session just kicking). If he wants to be our starting half back, surely he knows the fans are turning on him and everyone is wanting him to lift, why does he not seem top try and improve? he doesn't play like a guy with 166 games of first grade...

From that video you can't even tell if any of them even finished. State based on that video that you know for CERTAIN that Hunt wasn't almost lapping McGuire?

You don't. End of story.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Agreed, I'm completely over it. Revisionist history to suit agendas.

From now on, I'm blaming Season 2016 on Gillett. The idiot doesn't know how to run a line, and this seemingly brilliant attack of his that's being stifled is trumped up bullshit because of a few flukey tries where he's caught a hail-mary middle-third half-bomb or taken advantage of defence falling over or getting tangled up with each other. We let the wrong player go. Ben Te'o would never have tripped Thurston and lost us the game, ending our season. Ben Te'o would have smashed Thurston in to next week. #gillettchoked #teodoesntgetstepped

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Agreed, I'm completely over it. Revisionist history to suit agendas.

From now on, I'm blaming Season 2016 on Gillett. The idiot doesn't know how to run a line, and this seemingly brilliant attack of his that's being stifled is trumped up bullshit because of a few flukey tries where he's caught a hail-mary middle-third half-bomb or taken advantage of defence falling over or getting tangled up with each other. We let the wrong player go. Ben Te'o would never have tripped Thurston and lost us the game, ending our season. Ben Te'o would have smashed Thurston in to next week. #gillettchoked #teodoesntgetstepped

Porthoz has officially /ragequit.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/11/22/teenage_teammates_to.html

Anyone notice in that training video of Macca, Hunt and Mcguire that Hunt was coming last? I think his fitness, or lack thereof, could be a big part in his poor decision making. He gets forced to be involved in a lot of tackles on that right side, party because teams obviously target halves, but also because Gillett seems to require more help than Thaiday/Glenn do on the left edge in terms of 1 on 1 tackles. Maybe if Hunt was a bit fitter he would maintain composure a bit better? I don't see them train everyday or anything like that, but I just seem to feel he is lazy in terms of training. Losing to a prop in fitness based time trial is pretty poor form, and considering his biggest weakness is his kicking game, which is arguably the easiest thing to 'learn' as repetition is key (look at cronk, everyone says he spends 1-2 hours extra each session just kicking). If he wants to be our starting half back, surely he knows the fans are turning on him and everyone is wanting him to lift, why does he not seem top try and improve? he doesn't play like a guy with 166 games of first grade...

"I don't see them train everyday or anything like that"

"why does he not seem top try and improve?"

Interesting...

So you really wouldn't know for sure if he is putting in the extra work or not.. You also really wouldn't know for sure what his fitness is like..

What so many people fail to understand is that it takes time to really master a skill. Thurston and Cronk practiced for years to get the kicking skills they have today.

It didn't happen quickly.

But there is no point debating this really. It just keeps going around in circles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Stix
  • Big Del
  • Alec
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Horseheadsup
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.