Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can get Walker for $600,000 over 3 seasons that's an absolute bargain, considering how versatile he is. Do it Wayne.

Pretty much. 200k a season for a bloke like him. No brainer.

Seems to have mostly played as a half / fullback...

Maybe the utility to replace Knikorima? At least he towers over him at a whopping 179cms and 90kgs...

Damn, thought he was taller. Anyway at 200k he's worth a try.

PING : 1910 ,Tally, Joe n Daniel , is this a very real possibility ? Thanking youse in advance. Finger cross

Last edited:
Walker at the reported price is a bargain given his versatility and utility value, but I doubt he'd want to be a bench player, which he'll more than likely ever be at the Broncos. Maybe he's using the Broncos as a means to up his contract with Souths.

PING : 1910 ,Tally, Joe n Daniel , is this a very real possibility ? Thanking youse in advance. Finger cross

A man can take only so much.......

There is no such word FiH, but I suspect you know this

And do you also know that Daniel has absolutely no inside knowledge????

A MORE likely target for Brisbane is Cronulla Sharks sensation Valentine Holmes who is being singled out by the Queensland Reds.Holmes is off contract at the end of next season and wants to return to Queensland so he is only one flight away from his Townsville family
This is why he is entertaining the Reds interest.
Brisbane again though will not pay big dollars for wingers, which Holmes who turns 21 this month, would be at the Broncos.
The Broncos are unlikely to re-sign Jack Reed and when they shift Jordan Kahu to left centre for 2018 they will need genuine speed on the right wing.
The Reds are gunning for league talent because there simply isn’t enough union talent to support five teams.
They are keen on Cowboys prodigy Kalyn Ponga, Broncos winger Lachlan Maranta and Holmes among others.
The Broncos meanwhile are looking for outside back depth for 2017 but have ruled out interest in Cowboys centre Javid Bowen who is set to stay in Townsville.
This is also from the same Walker column.

I don't see anything in Walker.

As a depth signing, I'd entertain the idea but 3 years for $200K a pop I just see it as a waste of money.

Hopefully Souths get their act together and sign him post-haste.

Cody Walker would be a handy player for us, plays everywhere in the backline and can play hooker if needed. Plus he is a quality goal kicker.

1 Darius Boyd
2 Corey Oates
3 Jordan Kahu
4 James Roberts
5 Cody Walker
6 Anthony Milford
7 Ben Hunt
8 Jarrod Wallace
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Adam Blair
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Josh McGuire

14 Jaydn Su'A
15 Sam Thaiday
16 Tevita Pangai
17 Kodi Nikorima / Jayden Berrell / Will Brimson

I would be very, VERY surprised to see him at the Broncos. Will still be at Souths, and will get a
Significant upgrade now the Keary is leaving.

I don't see anything in Walker.

As a depth signing, I'd entertain the idea but 3 years for $200K a pop I just see it as a waste of money.

Hopefully Souths get their act together and sign him post-haste.

One of few there I reckon. Walker would be more valuable than Nikorima as a true utility, not just bench hooker.

Also, why is it a waste of money? 200k is only just over double minimum contract dollars. I can't see it as being a waste when no one would think twice spending that on a 15 min a game prop. Along with the cap increasing when his contract would take effect

Walker would be more valuable than Nikorima as a true utility, not just bench hooker.

At least Nikorima can play as a dummy half. Walker has played three positions this year and neither of them particularly well. His biggest claim to fame was orchestrating a comeback against Penrith, which ultimately he failed at (I guess we'll just blame Aaron Gray for that).

Speaking of Penrith, do you know who he reminds me of? Will Smith, another player that can play a bunch of positions but neither of them really well. Sure, they're handy depth players but if you're expecting anything more than you're out of luck...

But at least Smith has some versatility. Fullback, Centre, Five-Eighth, he could probably play wing in a pinch. Walker is a half that can go to fullback but you'd never want him there as a Broncos fan ever.

Also, why is it a waste of money?

Because I don't see him as a fixture in the first grade side.

At best, he could work as a handy back-up but considering the value and the length of the contract, I don't see it as valuable.

I can't see it as being a waste when no one would think twice spending that on a 15 min a game prop.

You'd be surprised.

I get what you're saying, but props have to be more valuable now. Even Kasiano had to trim down in order to play this season, and we all know first hand what he's capable of (what a beast).

But here's the point, at least that signing would satisfy a need in the team. While I believe the backs are a bigger concern, the Broncos could use a decent battering ram like David Fifita to bend the line and handle the physicality of certain opposition sides. With Walker, he's Will Smith 2.0 which makes him a discount Kodi Nikorima.

Maybe somebody can be so kind to point out a game where Walker had the kind of impact Kodi has had these past two years. Like Kodi had against the Cowboys in the final, or against Souths in Round 8 where he tore the game open. The best I can think of is that Penrith game...and again he ultimately fell short.

I don't know if you really want to talk about ultimately falling short and our grand final performance in the same paragraph...

:laugh: touche.

I was referring to the first week of the finals, which sadly has been forgotten about over time.

That was an amazing game, one of the best finals wins from memory.

I like Cody Walker but I would much prefer Kodi over him. Cody is one of those guys who kills it in the QRL but struggles in the NRL, if he has more time in the NRL he will improve but he won't get that at the Broncos.

If we can pick him up, great. He'll be a handy backup for Hunt and Milf but that's all he should be. He's a half who can play at fullback because of his running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fozz
  • Allo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Wolfie
  • Dexter
  • Xzei
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Hurrijo
  • heartly87
  • broncoscope
  • simplythebest
  • The True King
  • the_next
  • Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • Painin the Haas
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.