Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Have you tried being a Broncos fan on social media? **** every other club and their fans. They’d rather watch us suck than their own team win games. Giving them shit isn’t embarrassing at all
Given how entitled some broncos fans are, I don’t blame them for revelling in us sucking

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
So the issue, as it has always been, isn’t development, it is the salary cap. There are no benefits whatsoever to spending money on a junior system, there are zero incentives to do it other than you might get some good kids coming through regularly but then you won’t have the money to retain the best ones when the poachers inevitably come knocking once a kid you’ve developed shows really good signs or breaks out as a star.
Easy fix using kpi's. If you develop your own players yout salary cap is increased accordingly to accomodate those you wish to keep.
On the flip side if you don't develop and make a habit of plundering those who do your cap is reduced accordingly. Sure to balance the ledger in regard Roosters and Storm etc and even things up which is the purpose of said cap anyway.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Storm 2017 Premiership side- 12/17 signed by 19 or younger and 13 debuted for the Storm- Glasby was older than 19.

Aren't you basically contradicting yourself here. You are saying that if they are at a club by 19, they are developed by the GF side but in the case of Brisbane, these 7 Gold Coast kids were all at Brisbane before 19 (I believe), except for Teo who came in from the Tigers from memory as an already established player. Wouldn't it be fair to say that players are usually showing what they are like by the time they are 19?

Take Sam Walker as an example, he was THE gun playmaker coming through and was in hot demand, Roosters come in with more money than anyone else and take him out of another system. Isn't that the definition of poaching?

Unless you are saying players only start developing at 18/19?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Easy fix using kpi's. If you develop your own players yout salary cap is increased accordingly to accomodate those you wish to keep.
On the flip side if you don't develop and make a habit of plundering those who do your cap is reduced accordingly. Sure to balance the ledger in regard Roosters and Storm etc and even things up which is the purpose of said cap anyway.

Yes of course this is a great idea but it will never happen, it disadvantages a number of successful clubs.

Reactions: Gaz
W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Given how entitled some broncos fans are, I don’t blame them for revelling in us sucking
For mine, my dislike for the Titans is based on the incessant carry-on, fanfare and circle-jerk that follows their still very sporadic wins over us and anytime they “get one over the Broncos and sign boom *insert name here*”.

They should be cautious not to get too far ahead of themselves. Sans 2013 and 2016, this is their best season since 2010 but context is important, they are 12th.

Prior to this year, 12th would be considered a catastrophic failure for the Broncos.

When the Titans are beating the Broncos regularly and comfortably (be careful what you wish for I suppose 😔) and winning premierships, that’s when they'll have something to crow about.

Until then, fact remains they are 14 seasons in with 2 wooden spoons, only made finals in 3 seasons and have won no trophies. By that stage we’d won 5 premierships and after 33 seasons, still no spoons (don’t make a liar out of me Dogs).

Last edited:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Aren't you basically contradicting yourself here. You are saying that if they are at a club by 19, they are developed by the GF side but in the case of Brisbane, these 7 Gold Coast kids were all at Brisbane before 19 (I believe), except for Teo who came in from the Tigers from memory as an already established player. Wouldn't it be fair to say that players are usually showing what they are like by the time they are 19?

Take Sam Walker as an example, he was THE gun playmaker coming through and was in hot demand, Roosters come in with more money than anyone else and take him out of another system. Isn't that the definition of poaching?

Unless you are saying players only start developing at 18/19?

I haven't said the Broncos didn't developed Coates they've put work into him, but when people bag other clubs for having players from other areas it makes no sense to me when the Broncos have seven players from the Coast.

People have different views of 'junior' some people have the old school, he was born in Redfern lives across the road from Redfern Oval view and others have the who cares where you come from if you were at the Broncos by 18 you're a 'Broncos Junior." I think the where you were born approach is dead, you can't limit yourself like that. If the kid is at the Coast and you can get him to Brisbane then good luck to you but I don't think people apply it evenly and it doesn't mean he didn't come from the Coast.

It seems to be a lot of picking and choosing and switching between the two depending on what club you want to talk about.

If Sam goes on to be a 200 game Rooster, the only people that can take credit are the Jets and Roosters. They signed him in grade 12 what more could the Roosters do? Sam was 16 or might have just turned 17- how much younger could he sign his first NRL contract?

Roosters offer wasn't the biggest it was just the best. Roosters were the only club interested until Ikin mentioned him on 360 in June and everyone started to care and then it was too late and half hearted.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

Put a cork in the Papalii idea

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Any player that gets up and sent off with ball in hand isn't the kind of player we need at the club right now. We need players that respect the jersey and will put all in to put back pride into it.
Apparently McGuire is linked to the Dragons. **** that hold him at the border and get him back to the Broncos

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Boyd- Bears, PBC and Mudgeerba
Herbie- Bears
Dearden- Tweed and PBC
Haas- Keebra Park and Titans scholarship
Glenn- Bears
Coates- Tweed and Marymount College
Teo'- Keebra Park
David Fifita- Keebra Park

Fifita was at Souths and lived in Ipswich, he just went to school on the Coast so he's a bit of grey area and Teo came from the Tigers but still lived and schooled on the Coast first.

Point is still the area has been very good for the Broncos. Broncos do a great job of mining it too. They were all signed young and it's great work by the Broncos to keep them away from the Titans.

There is plenty of reward for developing players and the last two premiers do it very well.

Look at the last two premiers- Both excellent development clubs. Roosters 10/17 2018 Grand Final side made their debut at the Roosters and two others had played less than seven games at other clubs when they joined.

Storm 2017 Premiership side- 12/17 signed by 19 or younger and 13 debuted for the Storm- Glasby was older than 19.

They have both been rewarded with premierships for great development. I don't understand the idea you don't get rewarded for development came from, you might lose players but that doesn't mean you're not being rewarded.
Not disputing it at all , would much rather spend the money on development.
And it's how it goes with clubs poaching, of course clubs are going to chase the good kids. Would be nice for a little more incentive to keep them though, can't keep them all but I'm sure more can be done by the nrl.
The one thing that I will disagree with is Fifita, definitely a Brisbane jr was born here.
There's some good footy schools to choose from and Keebra is definitely one of those, of course your going to choose the right one.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Put a cork in the Papalii idea

Of course. Why would a player of his calibre come up here to kill his own career? The shine is well and truly off the club from a signings perspective, and it will be a long road to getting it back, if ever. We will have to pay massive overs on a regular basis which is why we need to be extremely careful with who we target (oh god.)

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
But seriously, that picture of Papalii is terrible, if you put clown make up on him, he could like the joker.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I haven't said the Broncos didn't developed Coates they've put work into him, but when people bag other clubs for having players from other areas it makes no sense to me when the Broncos have seven players from the Coast.

People have different views of 'junior' some people have the old school, he was born in Redfern lives across the road from Redfern Oval view and others have the who cares where you come from if you were at the Broncos by 18 you're a 'Broncos Junior." I think the where you were born approach is dead, you can't limit yourself like that. If the kid is at the Coast and you can get him to Brisbane then good luck to you but I don't think people apply it evenly and it doesn't mean he didn't come from the Coast.

It seems to be a lot of picking and choosing and switching between the two depending on what club you want to talk about.

If Sam goes on to be a 200 game Rooster, the only people that can take credit are the Jets and Roosters. They signed him in grade 12 what more could the Roosters do? Sam was 16 or might have just turned 17- how much younger could he sign his first NRL contract?

Roosters offer wasn't the biggest it was just the best. Roosters were the only club interested until Ikin mentioned him on 360 in June and everyone started to care and then it was too late and half hearted.

Well said. I think you have touched on a separate issue in terms of the Broncos. For all the 'gun' young players that Nolan seems to have bought in, Brisbane still tend to miss out on the very best ones a lot.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Yeah I’m sorry but if a kid is born in Brisbane, played junior footy for a Brisbane club, and/or was scouted by Brisbane, and then moved to Keebra or PBC, that does not make them a Gold Coast anything.

Dearden for example is a Toowoomba and Mackay junior, then Brisbane, before anything Gold Coast.

It’s only because they have good footy schools.

Anywhere can have them (begs the question why there aren’t more/better ones in Brisbane)

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
BTW, Roosters resigning the Worlds bets player for 6 mil over 5 years....highway robbery.....how did they do that i wonder..? "ffffuuuuuuuuuu:

I hate the Roosters creative accounting as much as the next bloke ... but $6 million over 5 years is $1.2 million per year. that puts him around the highest paid player in the game.

of course, when he comes of contract the Rorters will probably claim to have $2 million free a year

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yeah I’m sorry but if a kid is born in Brisbane, played junior footy for a Brisbane club, and/or was scouted by Brisbane, and then moved to Keebra or PBC, that does not make them a Gold Coast anything.

Dearden for example is a Toowoomba and Mackay junior, then Brisbane, before anything Gold Coast.

It’s only because they have good footy schools.

Anywhere can have them (begs the question why there aren’t more/better ones in Brisbane)

Dearden played MM for Tweed and played for Currumbin Eagles. I know he's from Mackay but that's not where the Broncos got him from when they signed him. He was playing on the Coast, for two Coast teams and going to school on the Coast- that's pretty Coastie.

He never played football in Toowoomba he was just born there.

I assume the problem there is that Brisbane's big school are GPS schools and play rugby.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I've got a bit of a left field idea for a short-term Fullback option, if you guys would like to entertain the idea.. Matt Moylan.

Now, before you completely shit on the idea.. I'm well aware that he's made of glass and hasn't been healthy in years. He's also incredibly overpaid. This idea comes from a few viewpoints:

One, I assume the Sharks would be more than happy to pay at least 50% of his salary to get him off their books, so he'd be coming at a reasonable price.

Two, his contract expires after 2021, so he'd be coming on a 1-year rental to see how he goes.

Three, he's an experienced player that was a proven clutch performer before he was betrayed by his hamstrings.

Four, he's still one of the best ball players in the competition, and his short kicking game has actually taken some steps forward in recent years with his time spent at Five-Eighth.

Five, we've proven in the last 24 months that we know how to deal with chronic hamstring issues. Tevita Pangai Jr was hindered with them a couple of years ago, we sent him off to work with an expert physiotherapist to strengthen his hamstring and the supporting muscles / tendons, he hasn't had an issue since.

Six, his last healthy season was in 2018 with the Sharks, he was extremely good that year. He finished that season with 13 forced drop outs & 16 try assists playing almost exclusively at Five-Eighth, which I don't believe is his best position.

Seven, he just turned 29 - If we can solve, or at least improve his soft tissue dramas over the off-season, there is still some upside that we could get a few more high quality years out of him.

Eight, why not? It's not like there's any phenomenal off-contract players that are joining the club in 2021, we may as well use the cap space we have on a couple of flyers with short-term upside like Moylan, Foran, etc.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
I've got a bit of a left field idea for a short-term Fullback option, if you guys would like to entertain the idea.. Matt Moylan.

Now, before you completely shit on the idea.. I'm well aware that he's made of glass and hasn't been healthy in years. He's also incredibly overpaid. This idea comes from a few viewpoints:

One, I assume the Sharks would be more than happy to pay at least 50% of his salary to get him off their books, so he'd be coming at a reasonable price.

Two, his contract expires after 2021, so he'd be coming on a 1-year rental to see how he goes.

Three, he's an experienced player that was a proven clutch performer before he was betrayed by his hamstrings.

Four, he's still one of the best ball players in the competition, and his short kicking game has actually taken some steps forward in recent years with his time spent at Five-Eighth.

Five, we've proven in the last 24 months that we know how to deal with chronic hamstring issues. Tevita Pangai Jr was hindered with them a couple of years ago, we sent him off to work with an expert physiotherapist to strengthen his hamstring and the supporting muscles / tendons, he hasn't had an issue since.

Six, his last healthy season was in 2018 with the Sharks, he was extremely good that year. He finished that season with 13 forced drop outs & 16 try assists playing almost exclusively at Five-Eighth, which I don't believe is his best position.

Seven, he just turned 29 - If we can solve, or at least improve his soft tissue dramas over the off-season, there is still some upside that we could get a few more high quality years out of him.

Eight, why not? It's not like there's any phenomenal off-contract players that are joining the club in 2021, we may as well use the cap space we have on a couple of flyers with short-term upside like Moylan, Foran, etc.
Its not the craziest idea that's been posted on here and you are right that the Sharks would probably be interested in off loading him but my big concern around Moylan is his attitude. From all reports he had a poor attitude in his last year(s) at the Panthers and i've also heard he is a bit of a "take the easy option" guy at the Sharks.

I'm not sure we can cope with another bad attitude in the squad from a so called 'experience leader'. I'd rather have guys who will play busted and scrap for every loose ball with less talent than a guy who will willingly sit out another week of footy if he gets the note from his doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.