Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
That's a tough one. The media are talking him up as an Origin candidate, but at the moment he is incredibly raw. Not only is he capable of some awful reads in defence, even in attack he has his fair share of brain explosions and low-percentage gambles. Make no mistake, I want to keep him, and think he'll be elite if he is able to have that coached out of him, but at the moment he is not worth as much as he'll be able to get from a desperate club.

I would say a 2 year $450k deal would be what he's actually worth. Too much of a gamble to risk more money or years IMO.

Joseph Manu has three years left on his contract at $550k a year.

Staggs aint at that level yet....so i reckon $450k per year is entirely reasonable and reflective of the market rate..

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
I wouldn't call him that great. Was nowhere to be seen on the Marsters try (basically just jogging) and missed a pretty easy tackle on holmes when he scored to. Pretty sure Bellamy hooked him from fullback when Holmes scored as Munster was at the back after that.
Nah he was moved to give Ryley Jacks a run at 5/8, Brenko Lee was hooked. Yeah he missed an easy one on holmes which is understandable considering he had been at centre for less than a minute. He managed to kick two touch-finders at the end of the game from his centre position which I thought was impressive.

Obviously he's still raw but I can see the makings of a good fullback there.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Any chance I can get some thoughts on how much you lads/lasses think Staggs is worth? What would you be willing to re-sign him for?

probably about half of what Mal will be prepared to pay to get him off us

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
**** it, I'm in. Someone needs to stand up for the cheating pieces of shit, he was getting wrestled to **** on the ground by the Storm players and the ref just dead-eye lets them get away with it. I'd be happy to cop some sin-bins and fines if we actually stand up for ourselves and demand fair treatment.

It's entirely possible the backlash against Moose by the playing ranks was a symptom of entitled rookies who didn't have the balls to stand up for themselves, and that's showing on the field right now. Bring him back and let him bash the rest of our pack in to shape.
When he isn't swearing at referees he is pulling hair or losing the trust of his team mates leaking stories. I want smart players. That's how you beat the storm. Not grubs.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
When he isn't swearing at referees he is pulling hair or losing the trust of his team mates leaking stories. I want smart players. That's how you beat the storm. Not grubs.
The 2016 Sharks would disagree.

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
Well, should Macca be available for us it won't be a bad thing. Even though he's only serviceable in attack it's our defence in the middle that's poor and he certainly helps out there.
Depends how he comes back from his injury. I don't think another club will take him so we will have to live with him either way.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Any chance I can get some thoughts on how much you lads/lasses think Staggs is worth? What would you be willing to re-sign him for?
Serious question.
Do the titans spend much money on development? They are taking a real roosters approach to success (without the benefit of politis/salary cap "management")
And don't give the Mal BS of "player X from the Broncos took a shit in a gold coast toilet in 2005 so he's a local" (e.g. fifita)..
More and more it's obvious that the Broncos shouldn't spend money on juniors and development. What's the point, honestly. Good system, stuff growing the game and getting community engagement and junior development, just wait for other clubs to do it.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
Serious question.
Do the titans spend much money on development? They are taking a real roosters approach to success (without the benefit of politis/salary cap "management")
And don't give the Mal BS of "player X from the Broncos took a shit in a gold coast toilet in 2005 so he's a local" (e.g. fifita)..
More and more it's obvious that the Broncos shouldn't spend money on juniors and development. What's the point, honestly. Good system, stuff growing the game and getting community engagement and junior development, just wait for other clubs to do it.
I am actually waiting for shareholders to ask this question. It will be interesting to see the board justify spending money without gain.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The Gold Coast have their junior academies which have grown in recent times as they've expanded to Toowoomba. The issue is that a lot of their elite talent gets poached by other clubs, namely the Broncos who sign players straight out of the Titans academy and usually the Gold Coast have to buy back the farm (eg. Arrow, Hipgrave, Whitbread, Wallace, T. Boyd). Even players like Coates and Farnworth are products of Gold Coast Rugby League.

Where they've struggled is taking those prospects and turning them into NRL players. For every AJ Brimson, Brian Kelly, Phillip Sami, Moeaki Fotuaika etc. there's been a bunch of prospects with bright prospects who just plateud in the 20s. A couple of them like Jahrome Hughes and Hymel Hunt were fortunate to find better fortune elsewhere but it's been their development pathways that's hurt them.

Eastern Suburbs have one of the smallest (if not the?) junior catchments in the game. They do extremely well to identify promising juniors from other regions and bringing them through their own systems where they become quality players. Even in some cases like Angus Crichton, he was originally signed out of Scots College by the Roosters before Souths poached him out of the Roosters gun 2014 SG Ball side. There's a lot of stories like that between Sydney and Souths where one side will go into the other catchment since they're so close to one another.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
The Gold Coast have their junior academies which have grown in recent times as they've expanded to Toowoomba. The issue is that a lot of their elite talent gets poached by other clubs, namely the Broncos who sign players straight out of the Titans academy and usually the Gold Coast have to buy back the farm (eg. Arrow, Hipgrave, Whitbread, Wallace, T. Boyd). Even players like Coates and Farnworth are products of Gold Coast Rugby League.

Where they've struggled is taking those prospects and turning them into NRL players. For every AJ Brimson, Brian Kelly, Phillip Sami, Moeaki Fotuaika etc. there's been a bunch of prospects with bright prospects who just plateud in the 20s. A couple of them like Jahrome Hughes and Hymel Hunt were fortunate to find better fortune elsewhere but it's been their development pathways that's hurt them.

Eastern Suburbs have one of the smallest (if not the?) junior catchments in the game. They do extremely well to identify promising juniors from other regions and bringing them through their own systems where they become quality players. Even in some cases like Angus Crichton, he was originally signed out of Scots College by the Roosters before Souths poached him out of the Roosters gun 2014 SG Ball side. There's a lot of stories like that between Sydney and Souths where one side will go into the other catchment since they're so close to one another.
What the ages when they're in the junior academies? 14? 15? So how much do they spend on their development? $20 on a gold coast hat? Then they let the Broncos develop them into NRL players and buy them back. Poor guys.... this sounds similar to the Broncos "developing" ponga haha
Broncos spend FAR MORE On community engagement and junior development. What is the point? The roosters identify talent well. All from the 2 junior clubs? Haha...
And if we are going down the "from our backyard" path, there's a few Brisbane born and raised players running around I wouldn't mind back haha so we should take credit for c Smith, papalii and Thurston I reckon

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What the ages when they're in the junior academies? 14? 15?

12-18.

So how much do they spend on their development? $20 on a gold coast hat?

I'm not entirely sure on exact figures, but costs add up and it's in the 3,000-10,000 range depending on circumstances.

Broncos spend FAR MORE On community engagement and junior development. What is the point?

The talent has to come from somewhere, clubs can't rely on scraps. If the system is good, they'll develop a high proportion of talent who have an edge over the competition. They don't have to worry too much about losing talent because somebody else will come through to replace it and it's easier to attract prospects because your club has a higher success rate of giving these athletes long term careers whether at the club or elsewhere.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
12-18.

I'm not entirely sure on exact figures, but costs add up and it's in the 3,000-10,000 range depending on circumstances.

The talent has to come from somewhere, clubs can't rely on scraps. If the system is good, they'll develop a high proportion of talent who have an edge over the competition. They don't have to worry too much about losing talent because somebody else will come through to replace it and it's easier to attract prospects because your club has a higher success rate of giving these athletes long term careers whether at the club or elsewhere.
So in conclusion... gold coast spend FAR less on development then the Broncos.... but the talent has to come from somewhere so it's justifiable for clubs to get talent from Brisbane but not for Brisbane to go to other areas. Got it...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
In conclusion.

The Gold Coast don't spend as much in junior recruitment because they can't afford to go into bidding wars with the richest club in the competition. They aren't freeloaders and some of their best players are players they brought through the grades.

There's only so many spots on any given roster, so there's no shame in them targetting players from their next door neighbour, especially when they're throwing their cash around at an unrestricted market.

If Brisbane abandon junior development because a few players headed elsewhere on lucrative contracts they'd only be hurting themselves in the long run.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
In conclusion.

The Gold Coast don't spend as much in junior recruitment because they can't afford to go into bidding wars with the richest club in the competition. They aren't freeloaders and some of their best players are players they brought through the grades.

There's only so many spots on any given roster, so there's no shame in them targetting players from their next door neighbour, especially when they're throwing their cash around at an unrestricted market.

If Brisbane abandon junior development because a few players headed elsewhere on lucrative contracts they'd only be hurting themselves in the long run.
Haha.. So we spend more money then the titans on young players developing them then we have to play by the same salary cap in the end. So again, there's no benefit to developing them. Just wait for another club to do it. That'll grow the game with that thinking. And why do the titans have less money? Because they are a smaller club with less fans perhaps? Again, real forward thinking by the game there. Keep it fair and let the small clubs who have less fans and put less money into growing the game be able to poach from the other club that has spent far more on aspects that will grow the game.

Ffs I am so sick of this backwards thinking. Its bullshit. The salary cap and this "fairness" bullshit doesn't wash with me. We have less diversity in our top teams then the EPL ffs. The top 2 teams have less juniors in their areas conmbined (Melbourne and sydney eastern suburbs) then any of the recent bottom 4 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Kev_Guz
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • something
  • mitch222
  • Johnny92
  • Porthoz
  • Dash
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • davidp
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • broncoscope
  • Galah
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.