Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Haha.. So we spend more money then the titans on young players developing them then we have to play by the same salary cap in the end. So again, there's no benefit to developing them. Just wait for another club to do it.

Again if you're junior system is quality you will develop quality players that will cover for any losses. You won't have to waste time teaching them the system and they will likely want to stay to keep the team together.

Regardless the original question was whether the Gold Coast spend money on junior development, not whether they can afford to wave as much cash around as the Broncos. They do and some of the best players in their team are products of their system.

T

The Don

QCup Player
Jul 19, 2020
Haha.. So we spend more money then the titans on young players developing them then we have to play by the same salary cap in the end. So again, there's no benefit to developing them. Just wait for another club to do it. That'll grow the game with that thinking. And why do the titans have less money? Because they are a smaller club with less fans perhaps? Again, real forward thinking by the game there. Keep it fair and let the small clubs who have less fans and put less money into growing the game be able to poach from the other club that has spent far more on aspects that will grow the game.

Ffs I am so sick of this backwards thinking. Its bullshit. The salary cap and this "fairness" bullshit doesn't wash with me. We have less diversity in our top teams then the EPL ffs. The top 2 teams have less juniors in their areas conmbined (Melbourne and sydney eastern suburbs) then any of the recent bottom 4 teams.

As this is the Broncos thread, I'll just say I agree with Big Pete with examples of this being Weaver especially, among others being standouts at the recent Langer and Walters cups.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
What it comes down to it the salary cap doesn’t work. A salary cap is designed to work with a draft. Unless we move to a draft or at least give cap incentives to clubs that have developed a player (over a long period of time) then the salary cap will never work.

Last edited:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
So in conclusion... gold coast spend FAR less on development then the Broncos.... but the talent has to come from somewhere so it's justifiable for clubs to get talent from Brisbane but not for Brisbane to go to other areas. Got it...

I count seven Coast players in the Broncos 17 on Saturday night. Broncos do very well out the Gold Coast.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Might help explain why we are playing like cellar-dwellers 😔

I was talking to a club's head of recruitment not too long ago and he said you don't even bother with the Coast because the Broncos have it covered.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
So the issue, as it has always been, isn’t development, it is the salary cap. There are no benefits whatsoever to spending money on a junior system, there are zero incentives to do it other than you might get some good kids coming through regularly but then you won’t have the money to retain the best ones when the poachers inevitably come knocking once a kid you’ve developed shows really good signs or breaks out as a star.

Last edited:
Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
all very good points made; Roosters for instance have understood this dynamic for a while now...

Melbourne are heavily reliant on development, due to their unique geographical isolation

Penrtih rely heavily upon their nurseries...

Maybe Broncos need to decide on a hybrid version going forward...bit like what Penrith do which is by the time a young blood rbeaks out and other clubs start having a closer look...they are already signed up...

But also have the tactical flexibility via the cap to target certain future windows for star players we desire...

BTW, Roosters resigning the Worlds bets player for 6 mil over 5 years....highway robbery.....how did they do that i wonder..? "ffffuuuuuuuuuu:

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I count seven Coast players in the Broncos 17 on Saturday night. Broncos do very well out the Gold Coast.
Why is it that every time a Brisbane born/bred player is mentioned on here and then someone credits the Broncos with their development you quickly point out that easts/Ipswich or whoever did most of the work and the Broncos deserve little to no credit.... but if it's a coast player....

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I was talking to a club's head of recruitment not too long ago and he said you don't even bother with the Coast because the Broncos have it covered.
We would probably give the Coast back if Melbourne give Brisbane back

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Why is it that every time a Brisbane born/bred player is mentioned on here and then someone credits the Broncos with their development you quickly point out that easts/Ipswich or whoever did most of the work and the Broncos deserve little to no credit.... but if it's a coast player....

I am giving the Coast credit for their seven players at the Broncos. That was the point of my post.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
It’s embarrassing how some people on this forum feel the need to take swipes at the titans to make them feel better about their own basket case of a club.

Mal has done great things for their development, particularly in the Tweed regions. Anyone who has read anything about the titans in the last 12 months would know that they’ve recognised their attention to development has been poor but they’re actively working on improving it.

I don’t see why the titans don’t deserve respect for what they’re doing. Yeah they signed Fifita but it’s not like we had a divine right to keeping him. A successful Broncos and Titans outfit would be great for the game.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
It’s embarrassing how some people on this forum feel the need to take swipes at the titans to make them feel better about their own basket case of a club.

Mal has done great things for their development, particularly in the Tweed regions. Anyone who has read anything about the titans in the last 12 months would know that they’ve recognised their attention to development has been poor but they’re actively working on improving it.

I don’t see why the titans don’t deserve respect for what they’re doing. Yeah they signed Fifita but it’s not like we had a divine right to keeping him. A successful Broncos and Titans outfit would be great for the game.
I agree but if only the titans thought the same, they hate us with a passion and would love for us to be on the bottom.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Have you tried being a Broncos fan on social media? **** every other club and their fans. They’d rather watch us suck than their own team win games. Giving them shit isn’t embarrassing at all

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Who's the 7 ?

Boyd- Bears, PBC and Mudgeerba
Herbie- Bears
Dearden- Tweed and PBC
Haas- Keebra Park and Titans scholarship
Glenn- Bears
Coates- Tweed and Marymount College
Teo'- Keebra Park
David Fifita- Keebra Park

Fifita was at Souths and lived in Ipswich, he just went to school on the Coast so he's a bit of grey area and Teo came from the Tigers but still lived and schooled on the Coast first.

Point is still the area has been very good for the Broncos. Broncos do a great job of mining it too. They were all signed young and it's great work by the Broncos to keep them away from the Titans.

There is plenty of reward for developing players and the last two premiers do it very well.

Look at the last two premiers- Both excellent development clubs. Roosters 10/17 2018 Grand Final side made their debut at the Roosters and two others had played less than seven games at other clubs when they joined.

Storm 2017 Premiership side- 12/17 signed by 19 or younger and 13 debuted for the Storm- Glasby was older than 19.

They have both been rewarded with premierships for great development. I don't understand the idea you don't get rewarded for development came from, you might lose players but that doesn't mean you're not being rewarded.

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013

I am all for Titans being successful....just as long as we are going better

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
Apparently McGuire is linked to the Dragons. **** that hold him at the border and get him back to the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Lozza
  • Bish
  • Organix
  • Strop
  • Gaz
  • broncs30
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The Boss
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • BruiserMk1
  • Inknition
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.