Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to give up the 2021 Grant pipe dream.

Melbourne will not lose him regardless of what happens with Cameron. Unless you throw a million at him, which he may be worth sooner rather than later, but you’d be crazy to do that now
Titans: crazy massive overs on a kid you say, wait right here while I get my chequebook.

Titans: crazy massive overs on a kid you say, wait right here while I get my chequebook.
Not really comparable. Grant plays the most vital position on a modern Rugby League field and he's likely to be the best in the game in that role for the next decade or more. I would absolutely give him a million dollars a season if that's what it took to land him. I think he's the most exciting young spine talent in the game.

He made the Tigers look far better than they had any right to be this year. God help the rest of the comp when he starts doing that for a genuinely good side.

So Hodges axed from origin coaching staff hey..
I wonder if that is because Kevvie is bringing him in as an assistant? Hope so..
OK so I love Hodgo as a player, but why do so many people want him in the coaching ranks? What has he proven there?

OK so I love Hodgo as a player, but why do so many people want him in the coaching ranks? What has he proven there?
He Coached the Queensland U20's side to victory over NSW in 2018. It may not sound like a lot on paper but that is the first and only win Queensland have ever had in that contest so it was a pretty big upset at the time. He was also moved up to be the Queensland Assistant Coach in 2019 and I think it's fair to say that even though we lost that series we were far more competitive in it than we probably had any right to really be.

Speaking of Hodgo as a player, if we aren't going to use him as a Coach this year then I'm wondering how he'd feel about lining up at Right Centre for us instead?

Last edited:

He'd surprise you, very thorough coach- I was impressed in 2018. Great week.

Hodges was very impressive last week; he will have some difficulties dismissing some perceptions about him if he wants to go further but last week week he was switched on, thoughtful and very precise in everything he did.

Super impressive.

Great win, history making.

I thought Hodges picked a great team and they just played exactly how you would expect a Hodges' team to play- bit of niggle and aggressive defence.

Clifford was awesome, that pass he threw for Sailor's try was world class- I have been wrapping him all season but I am even more convinced as the season goes on he is going to be a very good NRL player. Great instincts he moves before other guys do and gets himself in position before anyone else reacts.

Second half he set up on the blind and my first thought was that's too skinny a play- He goes through and scores.

Carrigan was a great leader, terrific all week.

Picking Carrigan as captain was a great move, he left the position open all week and said I will see who wants the role- Patty had it by Tuesday.

Last edited:
He'd surprise you, very thorough coach- I was impressed in 2018. Great week.
Origin is so often about attitude first and I think given the kind of player Hodges was that this would suit him down to the ground as a Coach. Mal was hardly a master tactician but he surrounded himself with good people who complimented his gaps and he was excellent at bringing the whole squad together for game day.

If Hodgo was supported by the likes of a Neil Henry or Michael Hagan with a strong tactical background I actually think he might well be an ideal candidate to Coach Queensland at some point.

He Coached the Queensland U20's side to victory over NSW in 2018. It may not sound like a lot on paper but that is the first and only win Queensland have ever had in that contest so it was a pretty big upset at the time. He was also moved up to be the Queensland Assistant Coach in 2019 and I think it's fair to say that even though we lost that series we were far more competitive in it than we probably had any right to really be.

Speaking of Hodgo as a player, if we aren't going to use him as a Coach this year then I'm wondering how he'd feel about lining up at Right Centre for us instead?
Also, well respected and one of the last older generations Broncos with the win at all cost attitude that has been on the decline since he and Parker retired. Hodgo would be great to have around this young group.

When are we going to see some roster cuts/additions... I'm growing impatient lol alot of talk so far
Yeh, I'm with you. I'm sort of over the endless computations that we could sign. It seems like such a waste of time.

I hope Kevvie is waiting/being held back by current finals series. It might be only then that he can make announcements out of respect to players and their respective clubs. That may well apply to support staff too.

Having said that, I'd still like to hear something constructive come out of Red Hill.

When are we going to see some roster cuts/additions... I'm growing impatient lol alot of talk so far
Kevie has had the job for a week. Have some patience, my friend. Season 2020 hasn't even finished up yet. If there are changes, they won't be wholesale due to contract commitments and lack of quality available. There is no quick fix in the current situation afflicting the Broncos.

Not really comparable. Grant plays the most vital position on a modern Rugby League field and he's likely to be the best in the game in that role for the next decade or more. I would absolutely give him a million dollars a season if that's what it took to land him. I think he's the most exciting young spine talent in the game.

He made the Tigers look far better than they had any right to be this year. God help the rest of the comp when he starts doing that for a genuinely good side.
Same was said about Milford when we threw crazy money at him, only difference was he had more runs on the board than Grant does. How did that work out for us?

Throwing a million at a kid that’s played less than 20 games is flat-out ridiculous. Hopefully we’ve learnt our lesson from Milford but if not, watching the Titans get nothing out of Taylor is another great cautionary tale.

And sure, it MIGHT turn out to be a good move, but there’s a much better chance it won’t.

Further; given we are just about rid of the overpaid, underperforming roster hogs we’ve had to endure the last few seasons, the absolute last thing we should be doing is adding another player to our roster on elite money, unless of course they are a proven elite player.

FTR; Grant looks good and would be a great pickup, but for a million bucks? No way Jose. You’ve all got stars in your eyes.

Last edited:
Same was said about Milford when we threw crazy money at him, only difference was he had more runs on the board than Grant does. How did that work out for us?

Throwing a million at a kid that’s played less than 20 games is flat-out ridiculous. Hopefully we’ve learnt our lesson from Milford but if not, watching the Titans get nothing out of Taylor is another great cautionary tale.

And sure, it MIGHT turn out to be a good move, but there’s a much better chance it won’t.

Further; given we are just about rid of the overpaid, underperforming roster hogs we’ve had to endure the last few seasons, the absolute last thing we should be doing is adding another player to our roster on elite money, unless of course they are a proven elite player.

FTR; Grant looks good and would be a great pickup, but for a million bucks? No way Jose. You’ve all got stars in your eyes.
Comparing Grant to Milford and Ash Taylor is just flat out uninformed. You probably shouldn't just assume that because you're apparently unaware of the runs Grant has on the board that he must therefore not have any.

Even if you never did any actual research and just based your assessment on what he's produced for the Tigers this season, that would STILL probably make him a marquee player. He's likely about to be named the Queensland Origin Dummy Half and he's up to his eyeballs in Dally M contention in his rookie season.

If that in your eyes doesn't make him a marquee standard player who should attract marquee standard money then I'm honestly not sure what would.

Comparing Grant to Milford and Ash Taylor is just flat out uninformed. You probably shouldn't just assume that because you're apparently unaware of the runs Grant has on the board that he must therefore not have any.

Even if you never did any actual research and just based your assessment on what he's produced for the Tigers this season, that would STILL probably make him a marquee player. He's likely about to be named the Queensland Origin Dummy Half and he's up to his eyeballs in Dally M contention in his rookie season.

If that in your eyes doesn't make him a marquee standard player who should attract marquee standard money then I'm honestly not sure what would.
I find it funny how you speak with such authority and steadfast opinions that, in your mind, absolutely no other person on here could possibly offer up something opposing your view and it in any way carry some credence.

Before you speak condescendingly to others and ramble on about research, you should perhaps do some yourself and look at what Milford had achieved when he signed his last mega-contract in 2017:

- should have been Clive Churchill medal winner in 2015;
- had played for Samoa since 2013;
- had played for PMXIII in 2014;
- Australian squad in 2014 and 2016;
- played Origin in 2017 (dropped from the 2016 squad for bender).

Just because you say something, doesn’t mean it’s true. As I said, Milford had crazy money thrown at him when he had achieved more than Grant has. It really is that simple.

But if we are talking about a rookie season only, well there have been numerous players that have been amazing in their first year, only to fade away to nothing. Tim Smith is a fantastic example - he still holds the record for TA in a season. Did anyone truly see his collapse coming?

Grant looks good, he could end up being great. But he has played less than one season. Let’s bide our time and see what answers he has when teams start to figure him out. If he still looks great then, well he will then have earned the right to be paid marquee money.

Clubs that pay on potential (the 2020 Broncos is a fine example) more often than not get burned. And we need another salary cap sponge on our roster like we need a hole in the head.

Last edited:
I find it funny how you speak with such authority and steadfast opinions that, in your mind, absolutely no other person on here could possibly offer up something opposing your view and it in any way carry some credence.

Before you speak condescendingly to others and ramble on about research, you should perhaps do some yourself and look at what Milford had achieved when he signed his last mega-contract in 2017:

- should have been Clive Churchill medal winner in 2015;
- had played for Samoa since 2013;
- had played for PMXIII in 2014;
- Australian squad in 2014 and 2016;
- played Origin in 2017 (dropped from the 2016 squad for bender).

Just because you say something, doesn’t mean it’s true. As I said, Milford had crazy money thrown at him when he had achieved more than Grant has. It really is that simple.

But if we are talking about a rookie season only, well there have been numerous players that have been amazing in their first year, only to fade away to nothing. Tim Smith is a fantastic example - he still holds the record for TA in a season. Did anyone truly see his collapse coming?

Grant looks good, he could end up being great. But he has played less than one season. Let’s bide our time and see what answers he has when teams start to figure him out. If he still looks great then, well he will then have earned the right to be paid marquee money.

Clubs that pay on potential (the 2020 Broncos is a fine example) more often than not get burned. And we need another salary cap sponge on our roster like we need a hole in the head.
Ummm, what the hell does Milford in 2017, several years after he'd made it full time into the NRL, have to do with Harry Grant in essentially his rookie NRL season in 2020?

The saddest part of that comparison from you though is that by the time 2020 is done, Harry Grant will in his rookie season have likely have achieved or eclipsed every one of the achievements Milford only managed by 2017 - yet somehow you think this makes Milford a good comparison for some reason?

Last edited:
Kevvie's contract starts November 1 but he's in there already. He's planning on taking the next three weeks to find out what he needs to know.
You honestly couldn't begrudge the bloke needing three months to get to the bottom of the utter shit show that was our 2020.

Ummm, what the hell does Milford in 2017, several years after he'd made it full time into the NRL, have to do with Harry Grant in essentially his rookie NRL season in 2020?

The saddest part of that comparison from you though is that by the time 2020 is done, Harry Grant will in his rookie season have likely have achieved or eclipsed every one of the achievements Milford only managed by 2017 - yet somehow you think this makes Milford a good comparison for some reason?
Go back and re-read the conversation, it really isn’t that hard to understand.

If you’re still struggling to understand after that, maybe go see a GP as you might have bigger problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • Pablo
  • Bish
  • barker
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • broncoscope
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • Jedhead
  • broncs30
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.