Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
just read on courier mail that the storm had interest in Roberts but cant afford him but Dogs and Manly after him but we have space in the cap would it be worth losing Kahu to keep Roberts

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
just read on courier mail that the storm had interest in Roberts but cant afford him but Dogs and Manly after him but we have space in the cap would it be worth losing Kahu to keep Roberts

Yes in my opinion, though we need another goal kicker, hence the push to get Isaako into the side I think.

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
Storm destroy depleted Brisbane
Titans walking injury tightrope
Wallace fights for Maroons spot
BRISBANE speed demon James Roberts has become the most in-demand centre in the NRL with ‘‘The Jet’’ insisting he will not take a pay cut to remain at the Broncos.

Five NRL rivals are circling Roberts, with Manly and the Bulldogs having expressed interest in the fastest player in the NRL after his scintillating form this season.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett is determined to keep Roberts but the Broncos are facing a salary-cap squeeze after securing five big-name stars in a $3 million retention drive.

Boxing webpromo 650x100 (2).jpg

In the past three months, the Broncos have retained Josh McGuire, Andrew McCullough, Alex Glenn, Corey Oates and Anthony Milford.

And with the club ramping up talks to retain skipper Darius Boyd on a four-year deal, there are fears the Broncos will struggle to afford off-contract backline duo Roberts and Jordan Kahu.

Roberts is on $300,000 this season, but with the Broncos having outlaid more than $800,000 a season to sign Cronulla sensation Jack Bird, The Jet’s management is seeking a significant pay rise.

Roberts’ manager Jeremy Donovan praised Brisbane’s off-field work in catering for the 24-year-old’s welfare, but said the NSW Origin hopeful is confronting the most important contract of his career.

“We won’t be going backwards and taking less than he is worth just to stay somewhere. The Broncos know that,” Donovan said.

“I met with the Broncos last week and I’m hoping they will table a formal offer in the next 24 hours.

James Roberts goes through his paces at Red Hill. Picture: Steve Pohlner
“It would be nice to get a deal done with the Broncos, but under James’ instruction, I won’t be taking anything less.

“Room in the salary cap is not our problem. The Broncos have expressed a desire to keep James and they have told us there is space in the cap, but if they have to shift things around to keep James, that’s up to the Broncos, not us.”

Donovan confirmed he has fielded several inquiries from NRL rivals at a time when there is a dearth of quality centres on the open market.

“James is the form centre in the game at the moment so to be off-contract now, there is huge demand,” he said.

“Our primary objective is to get a deal across the line with the Broncos. If we can’t get the deal done, it would be heartbreaking given the work the Broncos have done for him, but James has to be paid what he deserves.

“What we know is that James has a worth, he has a value and we will be exploring that.

“We will be expecting to get his value whether that is negotiating with the Broncos or any other club.”

It is understood Melbourne made inquiries about Roberts’ contract status last month. But Storm CEO Dave Donaghy said Melbourne will not table a formal offer.

“We can’t afford James Roberts,” he said.

Like Roberts, former Broncos and Storm centre Chris Walker endured some troubles during his NRL career. Walker believes the Broncos is the best place for Roberts.

“I honestly think James should stay at the Broncos,” Walker said.

Comments

Show Comments

Sponsored Stories

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It would be pretty fucked if we lost Roberts for Bird.

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
we need him in this side to be a premiership force , his raw speed is something we just havent had for years

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Fucking jack bird. He better be worth it. Roberts said he won't take a pay cut but what if he's offered the same money?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I really hope that James' 'agent' is making him aware that he will be throwing his career away if he leaves.

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
Manager said Broncos have the $$ **** it give him 450-500$ and See if we can keep kahu if not bring isaako in next year

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Pearson is solid. But the talk of him being the second coming of Yow Yeh is off the mark. He will play a role but he certainly isn't a superstar.

Do we have anyone else who could be a superstar outside back coming through?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
“We won’t be going backwards and taking less than he is worth just to stay somewhere. The Broncos know that,” Donovan said.

“I met with the Broncos last week and I’m hoping they will table a formal offer in the next 24 hours.

“It would be nice to get a deal done with the Broncos, but under James’ instruction, I won’t be taking anything less.

“Room in the salary cap is not our problem. The Broncos have expressed a desire to keep James and they have told us there is space in the cap, but if they have to shift things around to keep James, that’s up to the Broncos, not us.”

0D9Mv.gif

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
And we have a new figure for Bird...

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
P.s. how the **** would the Bulldogs have space in the cap to pay Roberts what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Yem
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.