Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody has really played with a ball playing lock for years. So nobody actually knows if it's going to work anyway. Bennett isnt stupid, I doubt he will implement it if he has any doubts it will work

Nobody has really played with a ball playing lock for years. So nobody actually knows if it's going to work anyway. Bennett isnt stupid, I doubt he will implement it if he has any doubts it will work

You can't play with what doesn't exist anymore. The channelled structured of teams means you can't just roam around the field probing for gaps and have ET screaming into holes like would happen with Miller.

Ball playing forwards has gone the way of bike pants and show polish under your eyes. Can't be done.

I think the current ball playing locks are less about the ball playing and more about just being good forwards with the bonus of ball playing. Glenn Stewart was more of a ball player, but he mostly played on the edge (despite being named at lock) and wasn't a particularly great anyway.

Yeah it really hasn't changed.

There is still a lot of value for ballplaying forwards. Jake Trbojevic the best example.

Some teams also still have forwards involved in the ball movements and are successful, such as the Dragons with James Graham.
And Melbourne with Kaufusi

You can't play with what doesn't exist anymore. The channelled structured of teams means you can't just roam around the field probing for gaps and have ET screaming into holes like would happen with Miller.

Ball playing forwards has gone the way of bike pants and show polish under your eyes. Can't be done.

This hits the nail on the head. The idea of Bird at lock is great in theory. But the game has changed and evolved to a point where it is just not possible to have this ball playing lock role anymore. I think you would put yourself under huge pressure both offensively and defensively by reducing your big bodies in the middle third.

Hence why I think it was only ever really an idea or a discussion, not a plan, to have Bird play lock.

Bird was signed because he is a footballer first. His position comes second. He is like Peachey. Just needs to be on the field, and near the ball. He can do that from Left Centre once fully fit. Like Peachey.

I think that was the plan all along.

Yeah it really hasn't changed.

There is still a lot of value for ballplaying forwards. Jake Trbojevic the best example.

Some teams also still have forwards involved in the ball movements and are successful, such as the Dragons with James Graham.

And we have Sam Thaiday.

This hits the nail on the head. The idea of Bird at lock is great in theory. But the game has changed and evolved to a point where it is just not possible to have this ball playing lock role anymore. I think you would put yourself under huge pressure both offensively and defensively by reducing your big bodies in the middle third.

Hence why I think it was only ever really an idea or a discussion, not a plan, to have Bird play lock.

Bird was signed because he is a footballer first. His position comes second. He is like Peachey. Just needs to be on the field, and near the ball. He can do that from Left Centre once fully fit. Like Peachey.

Can you see him staying after this year ?

Thats extremely naive to say they dont exist when there are players out there more than capable of being a ball playing lock. Its fair to say they arent used in the game these days, but that doesnt mean its not going to work either. Doesnt have to be an exact replica of somebody like Hanley, but if Bennett does feel its possible to bring them back in some shape or form then i'd say he knows what he is doing.

From what i know, it really wasnt. Lock was always the plan for him, but like i said, its a role that can evolve with the game anyway. Its obviously not going to be a traditional ball playing lock role of days gone by, but its going to be a version of it. Bird is more than capable of playing it. He is a good defender, tough and a good competitor.

Parra have made a play at one of our young guns

Parra have made a play at one of our young guns
I am more concerned at losing our young guns then winning games at the minute. I really hope our recruitment team are on the ball and have sharpened pencils at the ready.

Exactly you can't reduce your big bodies with the packs teams have these days, big and mobile is what u want. I see him blocking katoni staggs though.

Exactly you can't reduce your big bodies with the packs teams have these days, big and mobile is what u want. I see him blocking katoni staggs though.

I dont see him blocking staggs at all. Makes no sense to sign a player to play in the center position when he makes it publically known he doesnt really like playing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• jarro65
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • Skathen
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.