Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously glad as a club we dont take advice from people on here. On what planet is it a good idea to lose all the experience and replace it with promising kids? We have done it before, and we got burned badly. Its not just about leadership on the field either. These youngsters need role models off the field and in and around the team to look to when things arent going great. IF they are getting out of line, somebody needs to pull their heads in. You need a good leadership group and imo we are already struggling for one as it is without losing a lot of good professionals.

I'm sure if Glenn and Kahu for example get offered huge money at say the Warriors or the Titans we would be happy to let them do whats best for their careers ( Bennett rarely stands in the way of players who can get better financial deals ), but at the same time its comical how some fans on here seem to think we can just push them out of the door and get rid of them while they are under contract. Some people are so fickle. I get we have some great young talent coming through, but a lot of them have achieved nothing. At the moment everyone is on the Staggs bandwagon, but if Shibasaki came in next game and had a half decent game he would be the one that everyone suddenly wants in the team. It happens time and time again. And a lot of people crying out for these kids to play have seen very little of them. If you judged a players form on what they were doing in ISC instead of how much hype was around them, everyone would be crying out for Carrigan to be included over Mago or Haas for example. For a 20 year old in his first year playing against men, he has been immense. People generally on here dont see it though because he doesnt have the same hype as Haas or Fifita.
It's the fickleness of fans. It occurs on every chat board in every sport in the world. Bennett said in one of his books, "That's why the fans are in the stands and the qualified people make the important decisions."

I love that Teledaft article, “with Oates looking to go to Sydney” just so that the Roosters look legit in signing him. Gotta love a good made up fact.

I love that Teledaft article, “with Oates looking to go to Sydney” just so that the Roosters look legit in signing him. Gotta love a good made up fact.

funny that ...

they can try to spin that BS, but everyone knows Oates is looking to go the backrow, doesn't matter whether thats in Brisbane, Sydney or the moon

Last edited:
I'm seriously glad as a club we dont take advice from people on here. On what planet is it a good idea to lose all the experience and replace it with promising kids? We have done it before, and we got burned badly. Its not just about leadership on the field either. These youngsters need role models off the field and in and around the team to look to when things arent going great. IF they are getting out of line, somebody needs to pull their heads in. You need a good leadership group and imo we are already struggling for one as it is without losing a lot of good professionals.

I'm sure if Glenn and Kahu for example get offered huge money at say the Warriors or the Titans we would be happy to let them do whats best for their careers ( Bennett rarely stands in the way of players who can get better financial deals ), but at the same time its comical how some fans on here seem to think we can just push them out of the door and get rid of them while they are under contract. Some people are so fickle. I get we have some great young talent coming through, but a lot of them have achieved nothing. At the moment everyone is on the Staggs bandwagon, but if Shibasaki came in next game and had a half decent game he would be the one that everyone suddenly wants in the team. It happens time and time again. And a lot of people crying out for these kids to play have seen very little of them. If you judged a players form on what they were doing in ISC instead of how much hype was around them, everyone would be crying out for Carrigan to be included over Mago or Haas for example. For a 20 year old in his first year playing against men, he has been immense. People generally on here dont see it though because he doesnt have the same hype as Haas or Fifita.

Whilst I agree with parts of this, some of it is rubbish. People aren't calling for us to move on from Glenn & Kahu so that we can play untested guys like "Shibasaki and Carrigan", we're doing it to create space in the back line for Bird and to open up a starting spot for Su'A.

Have a look at it from this perspective. If you're Jordan Kahu in the "prime" of your career, would you rather be depth at best in the back line next year, toiling away in the ISC, just praying for injuries to get a run? Or would you rather be given the opportunity to see if someone else in the league is willing to guarantee you a starting gig?

Same deal with Alex, I'm quite certain he'd rather get more money, long term security and a starting gig at the Titans than being an end of the bench, veteran presence for us. But that's up to him isn't it, we can't force either of them to leave.

I think you missed the point.

19 year olds don't teach other 19 year olds too much. You need older players to have lived it and done it to still be around the club.

With Thaiday and Sims moving on, players like Glenn will be invaluable because young forwards playing and keep playing without disruption is 0 chance- see Thaiday example.

The Cowboys are showing what happens when you go to the other extreme.

Hindsight is wonderful but they got in to a bidding war with the Knights over Matt Scott, who, let’s be fair, was still near his best at the time. Fast forward to now and he’s hardly been on the park and when he has, he’s looked every part the slow old man. They could have retained Kikau instead.

I know they didn’t want to lose Ponga, but they couldn’t match the Knights’ offer. Perhaps if they’d punted one of their ageing stalwarts they may have been able to? Maybe Winterstein & Cooper could have been moved on? I’m not sure what years they were up for renewal.

I have a great deal of respect for both Glenn & Kahu, but the only thing worse than holding on to too much of your ageing Premiership-winning team is holding on to too much of the team that hasn’t won anything. They’re both great clubmen, but neither have reached the peaks we all hoped they would, and we have plenty of great clubmen left in Gillett, Boyd, McGuire, McCullough, etc.

Whilst I agree with parts of this, some of it is rubbish. People aren't calling for us to move on from Glenn & Kahu so that we can play untested guys like "Shibasaki and Carrigan", we're doing it to create space in the back line for Bird and to open up a starting spot for Su'A.

Have a look at it from this perspective. If you're Jordan Kahu in the "prime" of your career, would you rather be depth at best in the back line next year, toiling away in the ISC, just praying for injuries to get a run? Or would you rather be given the opportunity to see if someone else in the league is willing to guarantee you a starting gig?

Same deal with Alex, I'm quite certain he'd rather get more money, long term security and a starting gig at the Titans than being an end of the bench, veteran presence for us. But that's up to him isn't it, we can't force either of them to leave.

In all honesty, Sua hasn't been any better than Glenn on a consistent basis, and he has to be playing better than Glenn all the time to put him out of the side. Some of the arguments to getting rid of Glenn are comical for me. If we lose him and replace him with Sua, what are our other options? We are banking on Sua playing consistently well over the course of a season, huge ask for a young player. We then are relying on a bloke in Gillett who is coming back from a neck injury and who has lost strength in one of his arms due to the injury ( cant remember which one or how bad it is ) for one position, and maybe TPJ for another. IF we move TPJ long term there, good chance he will keep out Sua anyway. Plus there has to be a little concern over a big forward who has had issues with his hamstring for a lot of the year. Fifita is another of whom it would be a huge ask to compete at a high level for a whole year. Besides them, we are looking at Funaki or Staggs unless we move another player to the back row.

On Kahu, him leaving isnt going to open up a backline position for Bird i wouldnt think even if he does leave. Roberts has one center spot in the bag, and there is a good chance Boyd has the other. We will have spots for wingers ( which Bird isnt ) or maybe a fullback if Issako doesnt hold the spot.

If either of them want to leave for a better deal, i'd have no problem with it, its just some people seem to think getting rid of proven performers and replace them with unproven talent is a smart move. Its not, its a huge gamble.

On what i said about Shibasaki and Carrigan, its more about people jumping on the hype train with youngsters who have never seen them play. Thats why i mentioned Carrigan, he has been our best contracted forward in ISC all year imo, yet he doesnt get the headlines. The Shibasaki comment is more about fans just jumping on new players coming into the side and thinking they are the best thing ever, until the next bright young talent comes along. Loads have called for Dargan to play and based it on nothing imo. He hasnt even been as good as his halves partner at Norths ( who is also contracted to us ). At the end of the day, people have to earn their spots. Kahu is debatable with his form of late, but Glenn has thoroughly earned his place in this team.

The Cowboys are showing what happens when you go to the other extreme.

Hindsight is wonderful but they got in to a bidding war with the Knights over Matt Scott, who, let’s be fair, was still near his best at the time. Fast forward to now and he’s hardly been on the park and when he has, he’s looked every part the slow old man. They could have retained Kikau instead.

I know they didn’t want to lose Ponga, but they couldn’t match the Knights’ offer. Perhaps if they’d punted one of their ageing stalwarts they may have been able to? Maybe Winterstein & Cooper could have been moved on? I’m not sure what years they were up for renewal.

I have a great deal of respect for both Glenn & Kahu, but the only thing worse than holding on to too much of your ageing Premiership-winning team is holding on to too much of the team that hasn’t won anything. They’re both great clubmen, but neither have reached the peaks we all hoped they would, and we have plenty of great clubmen left in Gillett, Boyd, McGuire, McCullough, etc.

Cowboys stuffed up big time holding onto too many, i dont think we are in that boat. We will probably lose Tagatese on top of Sammy and Sims, thats a fair bit of experience. I think we are balancing it pretty well at the moment, but i do think 1910 is spot on. We cant afford to lose too many as young blokes tend to have a lot of dips in form.

In all honesty, Sua hasn't been any better than Glenn on a consistent basis, and he has to be playing better than Glenn all the time to put him out of the side. Some of the arguments to getting rid of Glenn are comical for me. If we lose him and replace him with Sua, what are our other options? We are banking on Sua playing consistently well over the course of a season, huge ask for a young player. We then are relying on a bloke in Gillett who is coming back from a neck injury and who has lost strength in one of his arms due to the injury ( cant remember which one or how bad it is ) for one position, and maybe TPJ for another. IF we move TPJ long term there, good chance he will keep out Sua anyway. Plus there has to be a little concern over a big forward who has had issues with his hamstring for a lot of the year. Fifita is another of whom it would be a huge ask to compete at a high level for a whole year. Besides them, we are looking at Funaki or Staggs unless we move another player to the back row.

On Kahu, him leaving isnt going to open up a backline position for Bird i wouldnt think even if he does leave. Roberts has one center spot in the bag, and there is a good chance Boyd has the other. We will have spots for wingers ( which Bird isnt ) or maybe a fullback if Issako doesnt hold the spot.

If either of them want to leave for a better deal, i'd have no problem with it, its just some people seem to think getting rid of proven performers and replace them with unproven talent is a smart move. Its not, its a huge gamble.

On what i said about Shibasaki and Carrigan, its more about people jumping on the hype train with youngsters who have never seen them play. Thats why i mentioned Carrigan, he has been our best contracted forward in ISC all year imo, yet he doesnt get the headlines. The Shibasaki comment is more about fans just jumping on new players coming into the side and thinking they are the best thing ever, until the next bright young talent comes along. Loads have called for Dargan to play and based it on nothing imo. He hasnt even been as good as his halves partner at Norths ( who is also contracted to us ). At the end of the day, people have to earn their spots. Kahu is debatable with his form of late, but Glenn has thoroughly earned his place in this team.

It will 100% open up a back line spot for Bird. We aren't going to leave him out of the team. Boyd will be back at Fullback to start next season I imagine. Either that or Boyd will shift to the wing to accommodate Bird at left centre. In relation to who do we replace Glenn with.. you said it yourself, we start with Su'A & Gillett.. if we have injuries, we have Fifita laying in wait and always the possibility of shifting TPJ if we're desperate. You really shouldn't need more than 4 or 5 edge back row options in your top 30, Glenn would be some nice depth, as long as he's willing to take short term minimum wage deals instead of long term good money deals, I'm sure he'll stick around.

Last edited:

Why do you use the word 'everyone' ? Everyone is on the Staggs bandwagon, everyone suddenly wants in the team, everyone would be crying out for Carrigan..etc. I know what you're trying to express but take the time to leave out the emotive all encompassing statements. Not everyone wants the same things.

When he mentioned that he had signed, but not as a halfback he was meaning that he has not signed as an NRL halfback ie he hasn't necessarily been signed as a walkup starter in the 7 mainly that he had signed to learn off Bennett.
There you have it, its official Sean O'Sullivan is our new coach!
After all they were looking for someone younger.

Why do you use the word 'everyone' ? Everyone is on the Staggs bandwagon, everyone suddenly wants in the team, everyone would be crying out for Carrigan..etc. I know what you're trying to express but take the time to leave out the emotive all encompassing statements. Not everyone wants the same things.

Dont be pedantic.

It will 100% open up a back line spot for Bird. We aren't going to leave him out of the team. Boyd will be back at Fullback to start next season I imagine. Either that or Boyd will shift to the wing to accommodate Bird at left centre. In relation to who do we replace Glenn with.. you said it yourself, we start with Su'A & Gillett.. if we have injuries, we have Fifita laying in wait and always the possibility of shifting TPJ if we're desperate. You really shouldn't need more than 4 or 5 edge back row options in your top 30, Glenn would be some nice depth, as long as he's willing to take short term minimum wage deals instead of long term good money deals, I'm sure he'll stick around.

There is a lot of gambles there. Why do you think we will move Boyd back to fullback for a start? He has struggled there ( not as badly as some would have you believe ) and i dont think Bennett would have moved him if he thought he was still as effective as he was, and i really, really dont see us playing him as a winger. It might be what you would like to see happen in terms of where Boyd goes, but i just cant see Bennett doing it.

Its more the Glenn issue that worries me. The options i said are a bloke coming back from a neck injury, a prop who can play back row whith hamstring issues currently and 2 young back rowers who arent playing any better than Glenn anyway. I'd agree wholeheartedly if they were playing better than Glenn has this year, but they just havent been. They have had their moments, but Glenn has been consistently better. Its like i said, Sua ( or Fifita for that matter ) have to be playing better than Glenn most weeks.

Its going to be interesting, i know what i'd do personally with our squad and what i feel we had planned this year, but i'm not the coach..... Yet :D

Last edited:
I'm wondering if we're really looking at Brooks from th Tigers which would allow Ivan to get his boy in.

I'm wondering if we're really looking at Brooks from th Tigers which would allow Ivan to get his boy in.

He's really not what we need IMO, just a more talented Nikorima.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Organix
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Lazza
  • Bish
  • jarro65
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.