Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Glenn & Kahu moving on is in our best interest. The roster spots and cap space will both be invaluable moving forward. It should allow us to retain Oates & TPJ long-term.

1. Isaako / Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Boyd / Isaako
6. Milford
7. Nikorima / O'Sullivan / Anyone
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Pangai Jr
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Staggs
15. Ofahengaue
16. Haas
17. Fifita

Easy premiership.

Young bench.

14. Glenn

He's so under-rated its criminal. Staggs has shown glimpses, but Glenn has given us a decade of quality.

the only thing that helps us retain Oates is moving him to the backrow:

so who do we lose: McGuire, Su'A, TPJ, Gillett or Fifita

I do thank god every day that you have nothing to do with recruitment, retention or team selections

Well, for one, we aren't moving Oates to the back row, and for two, we've already re-signed all of those players you just proposed we'd have to lose to retain him, keep up champ.

Also, there's no need to make it personal just because you have a sub-standard eye for football talent, I don't know why you chose to make the least impactful player on the team your favourite, but each to their own I guess.

Kahu isn't good, Kahu should be moved on, Kahu will be moved on, it will be the correct decision. Good night.

Well, for one, we aren't moving Oates to the back row, and for two, we've already re-signed all of those players you just proposed we'd have to lose to retain him, keep up champ.

Also, there's no need to make it personal just because you have a sub-standard eye for football talent, I don't know why you chose to make the least impactful player on the team your favourite, but each to their own I guess.

Kahu isn't good, Kahu should be moved on, Kahu will be moved on, it will be the correct decision. Good night.

Maybe you should keep up ... TPJ hasn't signed a god damn thing... not to mention that both players you suggest moving on are also signed

when are you going to realise that the only way to retain Oates is to move him, since we won't be doing that, you should get used to the idea of him playing for someone else...

and Kahu is a classy winger that is not going anywhere anytime soon ... thank god

Last edited:
You think the Broncs aren’t aware of his ability? I suspect we have plenty of cash ready to go for him...

The delay in signing isn’t him considering other offers, it’s him waiting for his current management deal to expire.

I am sure they're aware of his talent, so is every other club looking for a dominating forward and whilst the delay has nothing to do with his willingness to commit to us I am saying that him not putting pen to paper until November I think it was definitely works against us, it gives clubs like Newcastle an opportunity to throw everything they have plus some in a bid to lure him

Young bench.

14. Glenn

He's so under-rated its criminal. Staggs has shown glimpses, but Glenn has given us a decade of quality.

I don't mind Glenn, he's reliable as the day is long. But in terms of money, there's other guys out there we can sign for probably half the price that he wants to fill the roll of bench veteran / depth veteran. Tagatese for example.

I'd happily keep Glenn if he's willing to take minimum wage, or close to it, but apart from that, the funds are too important to be tied up in an over the hill bench player.

I don't mind Glenn, he's reliable as the day is long. But in terms of money, there's other guys out there we can sign for probably half the price that he wants to fill the roll of bench veteran / depth veteran. Tagatese for example.

I'd happily keep Glenn if he's willing to take minimum wage, or close to it, but apart from that, the funds are too important to be tied up in an over the hill bench player.

Calling him over the hill is way over the top. He's fucking 29 and a solid contributor.

I'd definitely be keeping Glenn, if he understands that he'll probably be a bench player in the near future. Until injury strikes, at least. I still rate him as a quality player, and I doubt he'd be asking for more than 300ish, he's not even a rep player anymore.

Kahu, I'm not sure about. I think Staggs has shown more already, in his limited time. Then we have Bird coming back too. Kahu is probably an injury away from having to use a wheelie walker on the field.

Last edited:
Maybe you should keep up ... TPJ hasn't signed a god damn thing... not to mention that both players you suggest moving on are also signed

when are you going to realise that the only way to retain Oates is to move him, since we won't be doing that, you should get used to the idea of him playing for someone else...

and Kahu is a classy winger that is not going anywhere anytime soon ... thank god

Contracts mean nothing in the context of being moved on, as Chris Garry said earlier, it's a similar situation to Adam Blair last season, sure, it'd be nice to keep them as depth, but in terms of priority signings or retentions, Glenn & Kahu are in the very bottom percentile, understandably so. "Hey Adam, just a heads up, if you can get another offer from a different club, we won't stand in your way." It'll be the same conversation with Glenn & Kahu after this season, if Bennett so chooses.

Also, how do you know the only way to keep Oates is to move him to the backrow? Could you please provide the quotes from Corey Oates that say that? The determining factor will likely be money, as per usual with Rugby League players. If we offer him a similar amount of money to whatever the Cowboys / Rabbitohs are offering him, I believe he will stay, regardless of position. We will be able to offer him more money if we get off some mid-range contracts, like Glenn & Kahu's.

In regards to your last comment, seek medical help, you may be suffering from dementia, Kahu hasn't been a "classy" player for quite a while. Also, he's going to be 28 by the start of next season, which is generally when healthy outside backs start slowing down, imagine that, except amplified by 300% with the 10 knee reconstructions Kahu has had.

Last edited:
Calling him over the hill is way over the top. He's fucking 29 and a solid contributor.

He'll be 30 next season, to say he's not over the hill would be to lie, unless you legitimately believe his best football will be in his 30's, which is a very interesting standpoint.

He'll be 30 next season, to say he's not over the hill would be to lie, unless you legitimately believe his best football will be in his 30's, which is a very interesting standpoint.

I guess it depends what your perception of over the hill means.

I guess it depends what your perception of over the hill means.

I believe it means past their prime. That's what I think anyway.

The top of the hill is figuratively the peak of their career, if they're over the hill, their best footy is behind them.

I believe it means past their prime. That's what I think anyway.

The top of the hill is figuratively the peak of their career, if they're over the hill, their best footy is behind them.

I’d say 50% of the league is ‘over the hill’ by that definition.

Everyone reaches a peak, but I think to define it that as soon as you start coming down from there as over the hill is very harsh. Glenn still has a lot of good footy in front of him imo.

Over the hill to me is Thaiday... or JT...

I’d say 50% of the league is ‘over the hill’ by that definition.

Everyone reaches a peak, but I think to define it that as soon as you start coming down from there as over the hill is very harsh. Glenn still has a lot of good footy in front of him imo.

Over the hill to me is Thaiday... or JT...

I've got no clue what your point is, the entire reason I'm saying he's over the hill is that he's over the hill. His best days are behind him, if we were to lose him, it's not the end of the world.

If he were to drop dead tomorrow there's 3 guys on our roster right now who could absorb his minutes and the way we play the footy wouldn't change. Gillett & Su'A are already superior options, Pangai Jr has shown he can play edge backrow if needed, and Fifita looks like being better within 12 months as well.

the only thing that helps us retain Oates is moving him to the backrow:

so who do we lose: McGuire, Su'A, TPJ, Gillett or Fifita

I do thank god every day that you have nothing to do with recruitment, retention or team selections

I really don’t think that’s fair. I know your a massive fan of Kahu, and so am I in relation to what he has done for us, but he is not the same player he was and next year I can’t see a place for him in this team. It’s sad but true, him moving on would be the best for everyone.

It’s the same for Glenn. I love the guy, I mean I’m still the unofficial vice-president of the Alex Glenn Fan Club (AGFC) but as of next year he is depth and nothing more here and he is a better player than hanging around in ISC waiting for an injury.

that will actually be bad for us ... especially Kahu

we are already struggling for depth in the wing position, losing Oates and Kahu would hurt us.

not to mention that we still have to replace both guys (who are on realtively small contracts) with guys on 120k contracts and in all likelihood nowhere near as good, further diminishing our depth ...

the salary cap means we can have TPJ's in every position ... you need those quality guys who will hang around for less cash
So we're losing one, possibly two wingers, who are probably on average money? Shit. You know what would be really cool? We should go out and sign two international wingers!!! I know it sounds far fetched, but wouldn't it be nice to do that and have no-one question how you can possibly fit them in under the cap! Ah well, we can always dream.

I am sure they're aware of his talent, so is every other club looking for a dominating forward and whilst the delay has nothing to do with his willingness to commit to us I am saying that him not putting pen to paper until November I think it was definitely works against us, it gives clubs like Newcastle an opportunity to throw everything they have plus some in a bid to lure him
You forget though that any negotiations taking place at present (especially from external teams) can legitimately be claimed to be happening under TPJ's current management and potentially they can claim compensation/ commission for any future deal.

It may actually be better if clubs approach or put forward contracts now, because his current management could claim it as their work and get paid for any future deal, as they could claim they initiated the contact, which is the opposite of what TPJ wants for whatever reason. That could effectively rule that team out.

His future management (whoever that may be) also can't lead into any negotiations or initiate contact as they are not his formal representative at present.

Last edited:
I really don’t think that’s fair. I know your a massive fan of Kahu, and so am I in relation to what he has done for us, but he is not the same player he was and next year I can’t see a place for him in this team. It’s sad but true, him moving on would be the best for everyone.

It’s the same for Glenn. I love the guy, I mean I’m still the unofficial vice-president of the Alex Glenn Fan Club (AGFC) but as of next year he is depth and nothing more here and he is a better player than hanging around in ISC waiting for an injury.
I suppose it’s a little like the Petero tap.

Glenn has been a great servant and except for one period of poor form, has pretty much always delivered better than good footy. He’s also another that’s always done everything he can to extract the very best from himself.

His attitude is first class and you can’t help but admire him for that, I know I do!

But the question is, at what point do we stop holding back the development of the young guns?

It’s a tough balancing act and like Petero, sometimes hard calls need to be made.
But I won’t be annoyed if he stays on or equally he moves on for a hefty final payday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Jedhead
  • Skathen
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • barker
  • Bish
  • thenry
  • Mr Fourex
  • bb_gun
  • Maroon4life
  • broncoscope
  • MrRobot
  • broncos4life
  • mrslong
  • Mister Wright
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • Justwin
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.