Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stats don't always tell the full story though. Take the meters per game for example. One decent break can certainly skew stats in terms of meters made. TPJ for example didn't have great meters gained when we played the Cows at home, but he was our best player.

There are a lot of moments in games that you can't find anywhere in a stats table. It's also hard to compare if you aren't factoring in the opposition and the performance of the team in a particular game. I'm just not seeing a 20% difference between them at all quite honestly.

You also can't ignore the influence off the field and around the club that Glenn has as well. That's going to be a huge loss with the amount of young guys we have coming through.

I'm not entirely sure you know what an average is.. :P

There were several games Su'A had well over 100 metres, several he had under, averaged out, he was still at 111.3 metres per game. Stats taken over the whole season tend to eliminate the statistical anomalies that you're referring to. Much the same in regards to the opposition we're playing and/or the performance of our team on any given night, if you think those have a significant barring on a players per-game averages across a large sample size, well, I don't agree.

You're right about not being able to measure what influence Glenn has on the players off the field, it sucks losing those veteran presences around the club, especially for the young guys who need someone who is a peer, but also a good role model at the same time. But, unfortunately, sometimes that's the cost of doing business, we've shown this season that it's not too difficult to replace. We seemingly brought Tagatese in almost exclusively for his experience & influence at training for the young forwards.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure you know what an average is.. :P

There were several games Su'A had well over 100 metres, several he had under, averaged out, he was still at 111.3 metres per game. Stats taken over the whole season tend to eliminate the statistical anomalies that you're referring to. Much the same in regards to the opposition we're playing and/or the performance of our team on any given night, if you think those have a significant barring on a players per-game averages across a large sample size, well, I don't agree.

You're right about not being able to measure what influence Glenn has on the players off the field, it sucks losing those veteran presences around the club, especially for the young guys who need someone who is a peer, but also a good role model at the same time. But, unfortunately, sometimes that's the cost of doing business, we've shown this season that it's not too difficult to replace. We seemingly brought Tagatese in almost exclusively for his experience & influence at training for the young forwards.

I don't agree with you that the stats even out over a season with Sua and Glenn as Glenn has had more games. He has played in a lot more of our poor team performances than Sua has. I just don't see comparing a 6 game spell to a 20 game spell is enough consistency. I do get your point about the averages (even though I still think they can be skewed but that's another argument) but for me the thing is though about comparing Sua and Glenn in terms of pure stats for example is that they don't play the same roles despite playing the same positions. We have seen it all year, our left side is generally a lot more disciplined and tighter, especially the center and left back rower position due to the way we play to accommodate how Oates plays, and to a lesser extent as the season goes on as his defence has improved, Milford. Our right side just doesn't operate the same way.

I honestly don't even think the stats that you find online are legitimate. They guess or estimate a lot of them. At the very least, things like metres made can't be 100% reliable.

I don't agree with you that the stats even out over a season with Sua and Glenn as Glenn has had more games. He has played in a lot more of our poor team performances than Sua has. I just don't see comparing a 6 game spell to a 20 game spell is enough consistency. I do get your point about the averages (even though I still think they can be skewed but that's another argument) but for me the thing is though about comparing Sua and Glenn in terms of pure stats for example is that they don't play the same roles despite playing the same positions. We have seen it all year, our left side is generally a lot more disciplined and tighter, especially the center and left back rower position due to the way we play to accommodate how Oates plays, and to a lesser extent as the season goes on as his defence has improved, Milford. Our right side just doesn't operate the same way.

You've pretty much covered every excuse in the book for Su'A having better averages than Glenn. Smaller sample size, played against worse teams, played when we we're playing well, played on the easier side of the filed, plays a different role.

Is it impossible that he's just a more effective player? Or at the very least.. will be moving forward? I know who I'm hitching my wagon to.

I honestly don't even think the stats that you find online are legitimate. They guess or estimate a lot of them. At the very least, things like metres made can't be 100% reliable.

They're from the official NRL website, so I doubt they're significantly wrong.

They're from the official NRL website, so I doubt they're significantly wrong.
There's usually some pretty dramatic differences between the major stats websites though.

Tbf, we have been down this road before though and it left a huge vacuum in terms of leadership and experience in the forwards and came back to bite us in the backside. I just dont think we can lose such a good role model like Glenn in all honesty, especially as we haven't had a backrower who has been consistently better than him.

Also, at some point, we have to be smarter with our retention. We just cant afford to throw huge contracts at unproven kids. The Haas deal is ridiculous imo. I also don't think we can build such a good quality forward pack without securing some good backs as well, something has to give. The balance is all wrong at the moment imo.

While I usually agree with most you say, I don’t completely agree with this part:

“I also don't think we can build such a good quality forward pack without securing some good backs as well, something has to give. The balance is all wrong at the moment imo.”

Isaako has been a massive stand out and has re-signed. Roberts is a brilliant X factor. Milford is Milford and is improving every game. And We have Jack Bird, a previous rookie of the year.

Boyd is there too if you want to argue for an experienced player. If Oates re-signs we have a very good backline.

1. Boyd
2. Isaako
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Oates
6. Milford

The obvious issue is a halfback but when you consider that Milf, Bird, and Boyd are approaching a mil each, it isn’t a financial embalance between the pack and the backs. The money is there, I just think it was misused on Bird and Boyd.

Why are people saying Kahu and Glenn won't free up any cap?

They'd both be on about 400k.. The biggest deals of their careers.. if they stay.. Could get more at a more desperate club with less culture. (Titans)

800k is enough to sign Oates or TPJ

They'd both be on about 400k.. The biggest deals of their careers.. if they stay.. Could get more at a more desperate club with less culture. (Titans)

If I was guessing salary’s I would go 450 for Glenn and 250 for Kahu.

You've pretty much covered every excuse in the book for Su'A having better averages than Glenn. Smaller sample size, played against worse teams, played when we we're playing well, played on the easier side of the filed, plays a different role.

Is it impossible that he's just a more effective player? Or at the very least.. will be moving forward? I know who I'm hitching my wagon to.

Well no, they aren't excuses. You are basing your argument about one player being a better player than another using a scientific method, which a players stats are at the end of the day, so in order for it to be a fair comparison the conditions of how the stats are gathered has to be fairly consistent across both situations. That's a pretty common and basing concept when using such a method. I don't think you can do that in football which is why stats are flawed in some ways.

You also made a comment to the effect of stats evening themselves out over a large sample size, which I agree with is likely to happen. Problem is with your point about Sua and Glenn is your sample from Sua is pretty much a quarter of the size of games compared to Glenn's sample. I don't really see how you can make a fair, stats based comparison at the moment.

For the record, I think Sua will overtake Glenn at some point, but I'm not convinced we are there yet.

Last edited:
While I usually agree with most you say, I don’t completely agree with this part:

“I also don't think we can build such a good quality forward pack without securing some good backs as well, something has to give. The balance is all wrong at the moment imo.”

Isaako has been a massive stand out and has re-signed. Roberts is a brilliant X factor. Milford is Milford and is improving every game. And We have Jack Bird, a previous rookie of the year.

Boyd is there too if you want to argue for an experienced player. If Oates re-signs we have a very good backline.

1. Boyd
2. Isaako
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Oates
6. Milford

The obvious issue is a halfback but when you consider that Milf, Bird, and Boyd are approaching a mil each, it isn’t a financial embalance between the pack and the backs. The money is there, I just think it was misused on Bird and Boyd.

It more if we spend so much money building a pack, how do we afford to recruit new players? It will chew up our cap. We have lost 2 players in Sammy and Sims and the money has already gone in Haas. Its not just about keeping what we currently have, it's about recruiting others in the future.

Even if they were, if we got rid of them, we would still be paying some of their contracts. If they were out of contract it would be a different story.

Even if they were, if we got rid of them, we would still be paying some of their contracts. If they were out of contract it would be a different story.

Plus as you and others have noted, they have to be willing to go and they have to be replaced in the top 30 with other players at the very least at the minimum wage, so the overall impact of all that is to lose two experienced and seasoned players for a small amount of salary cap relief. We then weaken the overall squad by having two less experienced and in all likelihood lower quality players replacing them. Get rid of players when they are off contract, not when they are currently contracted.

I read today that the Eels are shopping around Corey Norman. If we could get him on a bargain buy (i.e. Parra to pay half his salary), what do you think of bringing him back to the Broncos?

Halves pairing of Milford and Norman (Niko bench hooker playing 30mins) would be very dangerous IMO.

Tell the arrogant sooky **** to take the earliest flight to England and stay there. Forever.

While Norman always had that side to him, I feel he and Taylor (like a lot of players) are the way they are because they aren’t at good or successful clubs. You play better in better teams. Imagine either of them back here or at the Storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Maddy
  • broncsgoat
  • Wild Horse
  • cento
  • Mustafur
  • bb_gun
  • Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.