Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fanitesi Niu from Souths MM team.

Had a good MM season. MOTM in the Grand Final. Fifita worked really well with him and Boyd.

Last edited:
Article:

IT IS the school which produced Cameron Smith, Israel Folau and a host or rising Brisbane Broncos’ forwards, and now the Marsden State High School rugby league production line has spate out Tesi Niu.

Niu has been named in the Australian schoolboys to tour Great Britain.
A fullback, the Forest Lake Magpies junior has already been snapped up by the Brisbane Broncos who have ramped up their retention of promising teenagers from the rugby league rich Logan and the southwest area.

Niu, who names electrifying fullbacks Billy Slater and Valentine Holmes has his heroes, said he was aware of Marsden State High School’s proud sporting past and famous players who had once walked the school corridors.
“I’ve always looked up to Cameron Smith and Israel Folau,’’ the past student of Richlands East State School

“To know that they came through the same school and have achieved such great success fills me with confidence.
“Knowing that Israel made this team and toured England 12 years ago with the Australian Schoolboys from Marsden SHS is also something that helps for me.
“We’ve got great support and great processes in place to help me achieve my goals at the school.’’
Niu said he was excited to tour overseas with the Australian schoolboys
“It’s been a goal to make this team since year seven and a really great bonus that this year’s team gets to travel to England to play,’’ he said.
“We’re away from home for a month, leaving just after graduation at Marsden SHS, so it will be a great experience both on and off the field.
“The chance to represent my country is something that will always be really special to me and to be able to do that in England with a new group of really talented players from different schools and clubs will be a great experience.’’

Niu said he was eager to consolidate his place in the Broncos system upon his return.
“I’m looking forward to starting training with the Brisbane Broncos when I get back from the Australian Schoolboys tour,’’ he said.
“I’m keen to continue to enjoy my footy.
“I am also hoping to get involved in some community work helping others too.’’

Assuming Isaako is our long term fullback, and O'Sullivan provides a steady hand in the halves.. We keep who we want and with Glenn/Kahu/Bird go.. Our side without any big signings could easily win a comp next year

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Darius Boyd
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Payne Haas

Not sure how you could argue with that line up.

Staggs needs to be playing 80 minutes. A combo with Roberts would be lethal and I don't think Roberts loses anything by shifting to the wing.

I'd prefer TPJ to play more minutes at lock and have McGuire and Lodge interchange with Haas and Ofahengaue.

Fifita would come on for either edge backrower, whoever needs a break.

Kodi can go back to being the much needed spark off the bench, preferably coming on at dummy half and capitalising on Haas/Pangai/Ofa's big runs and quick plays of the ball.

We'd still have plenty of depth..

18. Patrick Mago
19. Gehemat Shibasaki
20. Jonus Pearson
21. George Fai
22. Patrick Carrigan
23. Jake Turpin
24. Salesi Funaki
25. Tanah Boyd
26. Andre Savelio
27. Thomas Flegler

That's just with our current squad

Quite a few things I could argue with.

Roberts is a centre. I’ve never seen him jump, and he’s on the shorter side. Also I’ve never seen anything from him that suggests he’s a good technical finisher.

Secondly, I’d argue that OSullivan would have to prove himself before dislodging Nikorima. If a utitly spine player is that important I’d rather have Turpin as a bench hooker.

Thirdly, Kahu is starting to be overtaken but Glenn still offers a lot of experience and reliability in the forwards. I wouldn’t be so quick to push him out of the club.

Won't get carried away but looks like a decent pickup.

Is it too much to ask for a fullback with Locky's vision and passing, Slater's acceleration and timing and Roberts' speed?

Is it too much to ask for a fullback with Locky's vision and passing, Slater's acceleration and timing and Roberts' speed?

You want this guy.

234eb714afcfa890eaf880802399fbee

We did have one in the system years back, then he moved on then available again to sign back to the Broncos but we decided to put $$$ on Bird and over paid other players.

Yes and that Fullback was "Kalyne Ponga"

Brian Edwards and the academy in that corridor have really paid on investment. It was only 2013 the Broncos poached Edwards off the Raiders and there is now a lot of talent from that area that would have been lost to more than likely the Raiders.

Edwards was pivotal in Milford moving, and the Souths MM team now has three players at Brisbane, Fifita playing NRL, Boyd played ISC this year Isaako too was at Souths.

Four Queensland U18 were from Souths.

Under 20's three- although Flegler is from North Queensland.

Doing a terrific job as recruitment for EPD.

Last edited:
Firstly, the song on that video is terrible. Secondly, he can run, which fullback can't? Thirdly, at least it looks like he isn't afraid to pass.

His highlights just show how bad we need to keep Boyd.

Kahu, Kodi and Isaako all make the Kiwi extended squad.

To be fair, Maranta wasn't horrible at fullback, he was however terrible on the wing. Like, he was so bad on the wing, he HAD to be better elsewhere.
He was a bottom 8 winger and a middle of the comp fullback, but we had better. Give him his due he rarely made mistakes. He just never did much outstanding and his physical attributes did not offer him much to work on. He had no pace, strength or agility, and whilst he was ok with the ball in hands and fairly safe, that was never going to cut it here.
I think he over-achieved, given what little he had to work with. He'll be great at something, just not league.
One thing he did was work hard to give what he could but it was never enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Alec
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Johnny92
  • Financeguy
  • phoenix
  • Santa
  • The Don
  • Brocko
  • BroncoFan94
  • davidp
  • bert_lifts
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.