Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a bottom 8 winger and a middle of the comp fullback, but we had better. Give him his due he rarely made mistakes. He just never did much outstanding and his physical attributes did not offer him much to work on. He had no pace, strength or agility, and whilst he was ok with the ball in hands and fairly safe, that was never going to cut it here.
I think he over-achieved, given what little he had to work with. He'll be great at something, just not league.
One thing he did was work hard to give what he could but it was never enough.
Except for bombing try, after try, after try by running on the only part of the field that was seemingly quicksand.

Last edited:
Except for bombing try, after try, after try by running on the only part of the field that was seemingly quicksand.

If we’d have known then what we know now, we could have send Greenskeeper Nikorima out to patch up all those sandy spots.

Firstly, the song on that video is terrible. Secondly, he can run, which fullback can't? Thirdly, at least it looks like he isn't afraid to pass.
Not sure what is worse in that video....... that song or the opposition defence. He looks handy though.

He didn't have the talent to do Oates can and unfortunately he was expected to do more than he was capable of. Scoring tries usually means taking risks. He could catch and he could pass ok but was never an individual threat and teams worked it out.

No glenn? He must have pissed someone off as he's always more consistent than kahu but never gets picked.

Or maybe he isn’t as well regarded to everyone else outside of our club. I still think he’s just a average player and our pack is better without him.

Or maybe he isn’t as well regarded to everyone else outside of our club. I still think he’s just a average player and our pack is better without him.

He obviously isn't as good as TPJ, who we compare him to, but TPJ is in amazing form and one of the most talented forwards in the comp. Glenn has been no worse than Su'a this year. His defence is the only real worry sometimes.

He obviously isn't as good as TPJ, who we compare him to, but TPJ is in amazing form and one of the most talented forwards in the comp. Glenn has been no worse than Su'a this year. His defence is the only real worry sometimes.

Su'as defence has been good. Therefore he's been worse than Su'a.

which is why this club is fucking lucky you have no say in recruitment/retention decisions

I would let Glenn go in a heartbeat to free up a little cash and give our younger better players more time on the field.

which is why this club is fucking lucky you have no say in recruitment/retention decisions

That's pretty much your go-to line for anyone who has a differing opinion to you isn't it? Might want to get some new material, and also let people share their opinions without getting shit on for it.

I for one actually agree Kyall, Glenn is a good player and has been an unbelievably loyal & consistent servant to the club, but if the cap situation comes down to allowing him to seek an opportunity elsewhere vs potentially not having the necessary funds to keep a TPJ, Oates or Fifita long-term, it's an absolute no brainer for mine. There is a very realistic scenario in which Glenn isn't in our best 17 next season. Lodge, Ofahengaue, McGuire, Pangai Jr, Haas, Su'A, Gillett, Fifita as our 5 starters & 3 bench forwards, with presumably a Nikorima, Turpin or O'Sullivan in the bench utility spot. Going to be difficult to leave any of those guys out, not even factoring in Carrigan, Mago, Fai, Savelio, or guys like Oates & Staggs, who both have long-term aspirations of being forwards as well.

I would let Glenn go in a heartbeat to free up a little cash and give our younger better players more time on the field.

it will free up **** all cash ... he is not on a big contract ... in fact it is likely to free up zero

for starters we would have to replace him in the top 30 with someone on 120k (in all likelihood someone who isn't as good as Glenn is) ... then we would probably have to pay a good portion of his salary as clubs would know that if the offer isn't the same as what he is on, then we would have to make up the difference (and include that on our salary cap)

by the way, one of the reasons that we have been so inconsistent this year is because we have had too many rookies (or near rookies) playing NRL this year, especially in the pack. and it is extremely difficult for rookies to be up to the weekly grind (both mentally and physically) that is required to be an NRL player. (even harder if you are a forward)

if you were in charge of recruiting we would have an entire squad consisting of rookies, but also would be millions over the cap.

you need to realise that with a salary cap you can't have superstars or highly paid rookies in every position. you need players like Glenn ... those players who are on relatively cheap contracts, players that may not be flashy (which is all the average fan looks for) but will get in their and consistently do the 1%ers.

flash will only get you so far

And it literally would be a little cash. What would we use that little cash for? Where would you let him go to? How would you push him out the door? You make it sound so easy to kick players out the door but i dont think i've ever seen you say how its done.

What happens when these supposed " younger better players " ( none of whom it has to be said have outperformed him this year ) start to struggle with the weekly grind of NRL football? Where does the leadership and experience come from? We are losing a lot of experience in the forwards with Thiaday, Sims and probably Tagatese leaving. Glenn is a must to keep around.

That's pretty much your go-to line for anyone who has a differing opinion to you isn't it? Might want to get some new material, and also let people share their opinions without getting shit on for it.

I for one actually agree Kyall, Glenn is a good player and has been an unbelievably loyal & consistent servant to the club, but if the cap situation comes down to allowing him to seek an opportunity elsewhere vs potentially not having the necessary funds to keep a TPJ, Oates or Fifita long-term, it's an absolute no brainer for mine. There is a very realistic scenario in which Glenn isn't in our best 17 next season. Lodge, Ofahengaue, McGuire, Pangai Jr, Haas, Su'A, Gillett, Fifita as our 5 starters & 3 bench forwards, with presumably a Nikorima, Turpin or O'Sullivan in the bench utility spot. Going to be difficult to leave any of those guys out, not even factoring in Carrigan, Mago, Fai, Savelio, or guys like Oates & Staggs, who both have long-term aspirations of being forwards as well.

I'd actually say Kahu is more expendable then Glenn tbh at present(2020-2021 maybe different story). Why you might ask? With Thaiday retiring and Sims departing the club not to mention the uncertainty of where Gillett will be at for 2019 for that matter I wouldn't be any rush to ditch another experienced campaigner in Glenn just right yet, you still need the experience in the forwards, that is why Bennett brought in players like Gillmeister and Lazo, the Broncos had great young forwards but needed more experience to teach the younger forwards how they can improve and lead by example.

Kahu on the otherhand as much as I am a fan of him I think you could replace him fairly easier without losing much in the process and this is coming from a Kahu fan, his best position is the wing and there are a number of centre options coming through who you could argue are worth a punt there for 2019 and then there is also Bird if he remains.

Last edited:

Tbf, we have been down this road before though and it left a huge vacuum in terms of leadership and experience in the forwards and came back to bite us in the backside. I just dont think we can lose such a good role model like Glenn in all honesty, especially as we haven't had a backrower who has been consistently better than him.

Also, at some point, we have to be smarter with our retention. We just cant afford to throw huge contracts at unproven kids. The Haas deal is ridiculous imo. I also don't think we can build such a good quality forward pack without securing some good backs as well, something has to give. The balance is all wrong at the moment imo.

I just dont think we can lose such a good role model like Glenn in all honesty, especially as we haven't had a backrower who has been consistently better than him.

I would argue that Su'A & Fifita were both better than him on a per minute basis this year.

I'll use Su'A as the primary example, these are their per game averages, only using the games this season in which Su'A started in the 2nd row and played 80. (6 game sample size from Su'A vs 20 game sample size from Glenn)

Glenn - 90.5 metres, 31.5 tackles, 4.2 missed tackles, 0.2 offloads, 1.5 tackle breaks
Su'A - 111.3 metres, 33.6 tackles, 2.6 missed tackles, 1.3 offloads, 1.5 tackle breaks

Reasonable gap between the two, not even factoring in the anticipated natural progression from Su'A next season and the probable slight regression from Glenn, factoring in their ages, Su'A was at least 20% more effective as a starting second rower this year.

Last edited:
I would argue that Su'A & Fifita were both better than him on a per minute basis this year.

I'll use Su'A as the primary example, these are their per game averages, only using the games this season in which Su'A started in the 2nd row and played 80. (6 game sample size from Su'A vs 20 game sample size from Glenn)

Glenn - 90.5 metres, 31.5 tackles, 4.2 missed tackles, 0.2 offloads, 1.5 tackle breaks
Su'A - 111.3 metres, 33.6 tackles, 2.6 missed tackles, 1.3 offloads, 1.5 tackle breaks

Reasonable gap between the two, not even factoring in the anticipated natural progression from Su'A next season and the probable slight regression from Glenn, factoring in their ages, Su'A was at least 20% more effective as a starting second rower this year.

Stats don't always tell the full story though. Take the meters per game for example. One decent break can certainly skew stats in terms of meters made. TPJ for example didn't have great meters gained when we played the Cows at home, but he was our best player.

There are a lot of moments in games that you can't find anywhere in a stats table. It's also hard to compare if you aren't factoring in the opposition and the performance of the team in a particular game. I'm just not seeing a 20% difference between them at all quite honestly.

You also can't ignore the influence off the field and around the club that Glenn has as well. That's going to be a huge loss with the amount of young guys we have coming through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • The Strapper
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • achievedrap
  • Allo
  • bazza
  • Bish
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • kiwi2
  • Old Mate
  • NSW stables
  • bb_gun
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.