Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

heartly87

QCup Player
have to agree obviously with all this...and yet it sums up the crux of the problem.

Every NRL team wants the same thing. Yet there aren't enough elite fullback and half's running around hence the market for them sees them get the lions share of wages.

And that's where we are at; either we pay overs to rub out other NRL competition to secure what we need or you develop it. Now this is my opinion but my thoughts upon learning that Siebs was coming here on a 5 year deal was exactly that...we would give the coach the time and leeway to develop what he needed to win a premiership.

And to be frank; right now the clubs immediate and medium term plans in terms of recruitment and retention are hamstrung by a few contracts that would serve us better not being here. This is a fact and hence lends itself to us developing what we need internally...
Thats exactly right. Also in saying this we actually don't need the best players available in those positions if like it appears we want to invest in the most dynamic forward pack. What we need is guys who can control a game, provide a good kicking game and pose some threat themselves.

This is exactly why Sos and Dearden could be a good fit. If Macca/seggy and Turps can develop a good combo at 9 and with Milf at the back we have a spine that can get the job done.

For me Boyd is our biggest concern. Finding a spot for him going foward costs us somebody better in that position.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
Thats exactly right. Also in saying this we actually don't need the best players available in those positions if like it appears we want to invest in the most dynamic forward pack. What we need is guys who can control a game, provide a good kicking game and pose some threat themselves.

This is exactly why Sos and Dearden could be a good fit. If Macca/seggy and Turps can develop a good combo at 9 and with Milf at the back we have a spine that can get the job done.

For me Boyd is our biggest concern. Finding a spot for him going foward costs us somebody better in that position.
I think at the present with regards to Boyd the best we can hope for is for him to be in the centres with Sos and Dearden in the halves(at full or close to 100%) and really that is only till Bird is back next year, then Staggs could be the victim there. And trust me that really scares me.

Last edited:
I think at the present with regards to Boyd the best we can hope for is for him to be in the centres with Sos and Dearden in the halves(at full or close to 100%) and really that is only till Bird is back next year, then Staggs could be the victim there. And trust me that really scares me.
Zero chance of Staggs losing his spot imo, he's something else.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
Zero chance of Staggs losing his spot imo, he's something else.
Not really I think there is a great risk of it happening, most likely Bird returns to the centres. Unless Boyd retires(very unlikely)injured or moves on, remains in at 5/8th(indications are Seibold are looking at different combinations), returns to fullback(pretty much has been pointed out this isn't happening) or moves out to the wing(might happen but I can't see Oates being dropped and I think Isaako will hold his spot) then he moves to the centres.

Last edited:
I think he'll explode next year, we get a few halves who can give him some good ball, he'll be a bit bigger. It's going to be something else, trust. Not saying if we had someone the size of Ramien with Staggs defence then yeah, but that would be a 600k centre.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
I wanna see Staggs continue to be there mate and I hope your right I really do. That said I don't want Boyd in the halves or fullback either, oh boy is there anyway we can win here realistically?

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Hey man, out of interest can you let me in on what points your dad made that swayed you? I’m a huge Milf fan, probably my favorite player, and I reckon we aren’t seeing 2015 Running Milf because he is our lone attacking threat. I also love the way he has developed his kicking and game management, which I think is a testament to his character. But I also recognize I’m looking at him through rose coloured glasses (and I do think he is being paid too much, I think he is worth around 750k)
I’d have to ask him to get all his points from over the past few years, but I’m not at his level of distaste for Milford’s game.

Even he doesn’t discount the incredible skill set that Milf possesses, but I think it’s very much a symptom of him being without a true halfback. He just flat out doesn’t believe he’s a half, although has developed the necessary components of being a half. It’s Milf’s decisions and game management that has dad at wits end over the past few seasons. I believe what he’s saying is that he doesn’t have the footy intelligence required for the halves - to be elite, that is. We’ve also all witnessed the sharp edge of his game (running, support) be dulled over the years.

As a fullback, I’m still very keen to see if he can continue to be his best self, which in turn would have me more than satisfied. Dad, however, points at the elite fullbacks and the trend of height/size of these players who are now dominant in the game. He also believes that he’s one serious injury from losing his greatest asset; acceleration/speed. Without that, he doubts where Milford can live up to the $1m price tag, or anything near it really.

Speaking of money, I think this is where dad is most disappointed. Milf has been collecting his massive pay cheque for many years now, yet his professionalism has been questionable with his preseason weight and slow starts. I kept hope that it was just dumb youth and he’d grow out of it. I may yet be right, but it’s a lot of money to pay a bloke that doesn’t seem completely committed to getting the best out of himself.

I still have hope with him at fullback, or even 5/8th, but we need a very strong game organiser at halfback to let Milf truly show his wares without being bogged down.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
We have two options in the NRL if we are going to chase a fullback imo, Mitchell and Trbojevic. If we want to take a gamble, Purcell from Ipswich, or Jack Walker from Leeds, who i think at just 20 looks an excellent prospect.

Dazza 92

NRL Player
We have two options in the NRL if we are going to chase a fullback imo, Mitchell and Trbojevic. If we want to take a gamble, Purcell from Ipswich, or Jack Walker from Leeds, who i think at just 20 looks an excellent prospect.
all great options for sure.....but where does Jesse Arthur's fit into this then.....why did we get him? Isn't he a fullback option for us once he joins..???
- Merged

I’d have to ask him to get all his points from over the past few years, but I’m not at his level of distaste for Milford’s game.

Even he doesn’t discount the incredible skill set that Milf possesses, but I think it’s very much a symptom of him being without a true halfback. He just flat out doesn’t believe he’s a half, although has developed the necessary components of being a half. It’s Milf’s decisions and game management that has dad at wits end over the past few seasons. I believe what he’s saying is that he doesn’t have the footy intelligence required for the halves - to be elite, that is. We’ve also all witnessed the sharp edge of his game (running, support) be dulled over the years.

As a fullback, I’m still very keen to see if he can continue to be his best self, which in turn would have me more than satisfied. Dad, however, points at the elite fullbacks and the trend of height/size of these players who are now dominant in the game. He also believes that he’s one serious injury from losing his greatest asset; acceleration/speed. Without that, he doubts where Milford can live up to the $1m price tag, or anything near it really.

Speaking of money, I think this is where dad is most disappointed. Milf has been collecting his massive pay cheque for many years now, yet his professionalism has been questionable with his preseason weight and slow starts. I kept hope that it was just dumb youth and he’d grow out of it. I may yet be right, but it’s a lot of money to pay a bloke that doesn’t seem completely committed to getting the best out of himself.

I still have hope with him at fullback, or even 5/8th, but we need a very strong game organizer at halfback to let Milf truly show his wares without being bogged down.
.....i share many of your Fathers thoughts and fears....However at the time we offered that contract it was on the potential upside that most good judges believed he had...

But like quite a few other NRL players who received million+ dollar contracts since then the promise doesn't always equate to the actual deliverable...its the risk a club takes you now..

I can say this....his next contract discussion with us will be very very interesting...

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Obviously Tommy T would be an amazing get but out of available price range. I'd argue that if the Broncs aren't going to chase Ponga (which they should, just not at the price he wants), they should chase Manu, he could be a gun and wouldn't cost a fortune.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Seibold knows it but it depends if he’ll be allowed to.
It'll be a lot easier to bury a headline like dropping your captain to reserves or telling him to **** off altogether during finals when the media are too distracted. I'm hoping the PR Bothans at the club are thinking along those lines.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Before last year, I would have said we should fight to keep him, but the way the coaching change was handled has put me in two minds about the current administration. Perhaps a cleanout at all levels is what the club needs.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter