Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking, if Bird does leave and we are not paying too much of his salary, why don't we go all out and throw 700k or so at Cronk for a year. Convince him to postpone retirement. The added bonus is Dearden gets one helluva mentor for 12 months!

I'm sure Cronk won't be interested now that he's settled in Sydney, but you just never know sometimes. It would also solve our captaincy dilemma for a year until Carrigan takes over in 2021. To see Cronk in a maroon and gold jersey is the stuff dreams are made of.

If he doesn’t want to play on then why not get him here part time to coach the halves. To my understanding, that doesn’t count to the cap.

Talk on the telly last night from Paul Vautin and Thurston that we should be going after Shane Flanagan to be an Assistant Coach for 2 years (that's the time he has to serve before he can look at a head coaching role). Gotta be a helluva lot better than Ben Cross!

Thoughts?

I feel like the Broncos are turning in to the warriors a bit. Where any big signing that we get goes backwards. I mean our big signings from rival clubs in recent years have been Barba and Bird and both went backwards.

I don’t ever remember him being the form hooker of the Comp. But then again I’ve never rated him so I could be a bit biased. Even when Ben Hunt was playing bench hooker, I’d get more positive when he came on.
Lewis is an interesting prospect. He seems like one of those players that can rise to the occasion. He reminds me a little bit of Campese, the former Canberrra Raiders 6.

..tell you what...he defends in the line like his illustrious uncle does...one of the best 1v1 defenders in the comp..

Talk on the telly last night from Paul Vautin and Thurston that we should be going after Shane Flanagan to be an Assistant Coach for 2 years (that's the time he has to serve before he can look at a head coaching role). Gotta be a helluva lot better than Ben Cross!

Thoughts?

I’d leave the club forever. That bloke is a germ.

I’d leave the club forever. That bloke is a germ.
It actually infuriates me how everyone in the media gives Flannagan a free pass. He knowingly gave his players peptides, cheated the cap and then didn't properly abide by his ban.

Same goes for Gallen. All this farewell stuff. He's a bloody drug cheat. What sort of message does that send?

If Glenn is staying I'd make him captain as extra incentive to stay for less. Also being captain would likely give Glenn access to more third party deals and a job after retirement. Then in 2 years give it to Carrigan.

I feel like the Broncos are turning in to the warriors a bit. Where any big signing that we get goes backwards. I mean our big signings from rival clubs in recent years have been Barba and Bird and both went backwards.
Big signings that suck up too much of the salary cap seem to rarely work out. The odd one like Cronk are probably exceptions. We had a few work out for us, but they weren't mega spends: Lazarus, Tallis, Folau, Hodges immediately come to mind.

Cronk, Tedesco, Keary have all worked out for roosters.

Fergo, Moses, Gutho have worked for Parra

I think our issue is the players we have recruited. We haven't recruited smart people. Milford, Barba, Bird, are all a bit dumb.

Cronk, Tedesco, Keary have all worked out for roosters.

Fergo, Moses, Gutho have worked for Parra

I think our issue is the players we have recruited. We haven't recruited smart people. Milford, Barba, Bird, are all a bit dumb.
It's also I guess about culture and churn in the squad. The Storm for example can pick up a couple of players from anywhere and bring them in, because the team's culture has been embedded in the rest of the group for such a long time the new guys get absolutely immersed in it and either buy in or get replaced by someone else who does. Same thing at the Roosters, they bring in a few guys who'll either assimilate or test positive.
Here look at the massive turnover we've had in the last few years. It's not as easy to maintain a culture when you're bringing in tons of young guys along with players from other clubs instead of picking up one or two to meet your needs every now and again. And we've lost a lot of the old guys who had links back to the older Broncos, guys like Parker and Hodges. A lot of our other senior players came through later on in the Henjak/Hook days where things didn't seem quite the same. It's a real tricky thing to try and rebuild once it's started going south.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, or how true it is, but apparently we went hard for Maloney, but he wanted 3 yrs and we would only offer 2. That might have been interesting.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, or how true it is, but apparently we went hard for Maloney, but he wanted 3 yrs and we would only offer 2. That might have been interesting.
No NRL club should have entertained a 3 year deal for him at this point. Least of all a club that's already dealing with a major headache over ageing players on too much money.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned it on here (not I have seen anyway) but what about Mitchell Pearce from the Knights?

Rumour is he wasn’t happy with Brown as coach and wants out of Newcastle.

He didn’t perform all that well at Origin but when he was at the “Other” powerhouse club he did play pretty well and is the type of organising half that would be a good foil for Milford at 6.

Also there were rumours of him wanting to come to the Broncos before he signed with the Knights.

No one has mentioned it on here (not I have seen anyway) but what about Mitchell Pearce from the Knights?

Rumour is he wasn’t happy with Brown as coach and wants out of Newcastle.

He didn’t perform all that well at Origin but when he was at the “Other” powerhouse club he did play pretty well and is the type of organising half that would be a good foil for Milford at 6.

Also there were rumours of him wanting to come to the Broncos before he signed with the Knights.
If he was unhappy with Brown why would he leave the Knights now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• dasherhalo
  • Jedhead
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.