Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad truth is that if Queensland don't somehow get Val Holmes back next year we're in a world of trouble in our outside Backs. Chambers going, sadly only exacerbates that issue.

Last edited:
The sad truth is that if Queensland don't somehow get Val Holmes back next year we're in a world of trouble in our outside Backs. Chambers going, sadly only exacerbates that issue.

Yep - our centre candidates are:

Opacic (good player)
Gagai (found out in centre defence in semi-final - as normal)
Justin O'Neill (ordinary and probably busted)
Moses Mbye (not a centre)
Michael Morgan (not a centre and had no impact this year)
Kurt Capewell (really a second rower)
Dale Copely (flat out making first grade in the wooden spooners)
Marion Seve (can't make first grade his own)
Tautau Moga (if fit, would be the best pick - otherwise not)
Hymal Hunt (shown no penetration at all)

And that's about it. Chambers may have been a little under-whelming at Origin the last few years, but at least he was solid.

David Fafita could find himself in the centres.

Yep - our centre candidates are:

Opacic (good player)
Gagai (found out in centre defence in semi-final - as normal)
Justin O'Neill (ordinary and probably busted)
Moses Mbye (not a centre)
Michael Morgan (not a centre and had no impact this year)
Kurt Capewell (really a second rower)
Dale Copely (flat out making first grade in the wooden spooners)
Marion Seve (can't make first grade his own)
Tautau Moga (if fit, would be the best pick - otherwise not)
Hymal Hunt (shown no penetration at all)

And that's about it. Chambers may have been a little under-whelming at Origin the last few years, but at least he was solid.

I suspect Fifita will find himself starting in our Backrow in place of Gillett.

Re - Centre issue: It's a sorry state of affairs but you're most likely right in saying Moga is the best bet. I think Morgan is the only other candidate who has performed at a passable level in the role so he might get the nod too. No matter what, we're miles off the pace in that role relative to NSW.

Last edited:

firstly spell his name right ...

secondly, he won't ... if you thought Gagai got found out at center, then Fifita will get torn apart by either of the NSW centers.

thirdly, he'll probably start in the backrow for the maroons, if he keeps up the form from the second half of this year

The centres for qld should be Munster and Mbye (he wasn’t terrible there for the tigers, reminds me a bit of hoppa). But then we don’t have a six because Morgan doesn’t deserve to be picked and the selectors hate Milford for some reason.

The centres for qld should be Munster and Mbye (he wasn’t terrible there for the tigers, reminds me a bit of hoppa). But then we don’t have a six because Morgan doesn’t deserve to be picked and the selectors hate Milford for some reason.

Because Milford is lazy. I’m sure if he trained harder and showed more heart they’d happily pick him again.

Munster I agree on not sure about mmbop.
You could go ,
1 ponga
6 hunt
7 DCE
9 friend
14 milf

I hope the Oates deal is financially responsible (history suggests it may not be)
$1.5m a year for 10 years.
[automerge]1570609281[/automerge]
With news Sam Burgess shoulder injury could be worse than expected, really hope we hurry up and lock up Fifita... Otherwise, he will be souths number 1 target as a direct replacement.

Last edited:
$1.5m a year for 10 years.
[automerge]1570609281[/automerge]
With news Sam Burgess shoulder injury could be worse than expected, really hope we hurry up and lock up Fifita... Otherwise, he will be souths number 1 target as a direct replacement.

If Fifita leaves would we then groom Oates for the backrow? Imagine if they both went to Souths....

I'm a fan of Tommy, but it says a lot about our stocks in the centers that he is even in the conversation even on here as an option for QLD. He had a mixed start for the Cows, but once he found his feet he was good, but not great in most games. One thing that may go for him in terms of Origin is he is tough, and he is a competitor. I didnt really see him get dominated by anyone and he will hold his own against most centers physically. I'm genuinely struggling to think of any QLD centers who were in better form than he was. Seve was in and out, Moga wasnt a standout, Hymel Hunt was fairly decnt tbf. Beyond that, we are going to be looking at Munster, Morgan or Mbye for the centers, and i think they may get found out because they arent naturals in the position.

I'm a fan of Tommy, but it says a lot about our stocks in the centers that he is even in the conversation even on here as an option for QLD. He had a mixed start for the Cows, but once he found his feet he was good, but not great in most games. One thing that may go for him in terms of Origin is he is tough, and he is a competitor. I didnt really see him get dominated by anyone and he will hold his own against most centers physically. I'm genuinely struggling to think of any QLD centers who were in better form than he was. Seve was in and out, Moga wasnt a standout, Hymel Hunt was fairly decnt tbf. Beyond that, we are going to be looking at Munster, Morgan or Mbye for the centers, and i think they may get found out because they arent naturals in the position.
Yeah I thought hymel hunt was good, he could be a smokey. Had big raps on him in the lower grades and has slowly gotten better the last few years , is at the age he could come good.

I suspect Fifita will find himself starting in our Backrow in place of Gillett.

Re - Centre issue: It's a sorry state of affairs but you're most likely right in saying Moga is the best bet. I think Morgan is the only other candidate who has performed at a passable level in the role so he might get the nod too. No matter what, we're miles off the pace in that role relative to NSW.

Agree. I think Gillett may be done for Origin. Unfortunately. What a champion, but a shadow of his former self.

Yes, Moga at his best is the pick of Queensland centres. The trouble with putting Morgan in the centres, is it detracts from his best positions - either No. 6 or coming off the bench.

I'd prefer Opacic.

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Moga
4. Opacic
5. Gagai

If Holmes comes back, sorry - no spot.
[automerge]1570613199[/automerge]

I would agree. Opacic is a throw back to the the Paul Bowman type of player (12 games for Queensland). Won't let the team down, and will make the occasional break or offload.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree. I think Gillett may be done for Origin. Unfortunately. What a champion, but a shadow of his former self.

Yes, Moga at his best is the pick of Queensland centres. The trouble with putting Morgan in the centres, is it detracts from his best positions - either No. 6 or coming off the bench.

I'd prefer Opacic.

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Moga
4. Opacic
5. Gagai

Is this the same Moga that frequently derped it up virtually every game for us 2 or 3 seasons ago. All I can say is QLD rugby league stocks are in a pretty sad state of affairs if Moga's name is even remotely being used in the same sentence as 'possible origin contender'. Please tell me you are joking when you say "at his best is the pick of QLD centres". **** me.

Last edited:

I'd prefer Opacic.

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Moga
4. Opacic
5. Gagai

If Holmes comes back, sorry - no spot.
[automerge]1570613199[/automerge]

I would agree. Opacic is a throw back to the the Paul Bowman type of player (12 games for Queensland). Won't let the team down, and will make the occasional break or offload.

There will be a spot for Holmes if he keeps back. Provided he doesn't play like absolute shit, he'll be there ahead of Opacic and Moga for sure. Ahead of Oates too at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • Lozza
  • MrRobot
  • Astro
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Wild Horse
  • cento
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • Dash
  • Behold
  • BooKhaki
  • Morkel
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.