Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we cannot get into a bidding war, which means Brimson isn't realistic.
Well it is, he's a Brisbane boy and Broncos are a much better club. Realistically he's a much better chance of winning a premiership here than the titans, so is an extra 100k or so now worth it.

So we cannot get into a bidding war, which means Brimson isn't realistic.
No he isn’t, but we could let oats walk that would free up 500k. that’s the kinda forward thinking the roosters do, They pick their battles and priorities a position over another. I’d rather have a young hard running fb on a mid wage vs a giant winger that can’t catch or defend on the same amount, worth a shot.

Gold Coast can’t get into a bidding war either.

Last edited:
No he isn’t, but we could let oats walk that would free up 500k. that’s the kinda forward thinking the roosters do, They pick their battles and priorities a position over another. I’d rather have a young hard running fb on a mid wage vs a giant winger that can’t catch or defend on the same amount, worth a shot.

Gold Coast can’t get into a bidding war either.
Oates leaving doesn't free up 500k. He isn't on 500k now and he almost certainly wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be getting 500k on a new deal. Him leaving now only frees up what he's currently on, which I think you'll find isn't a whole lot. You also have to replace his spot in the squad and even at base price it's over 100k. So offloading Oates in reality does very little to free up our current cap. It could do a bit to ease pressure on our future cap if we don't re-sign him, but again, you don't get the full difference because you still have to fill his place in the squad.

Signing Oates going forward for anything over 400k would be a terrible idea, but even 400k isn't very likely to buy you a Fullback of any decent calibre, let alone a good one.

Last edited:
Oates leaving doesn't free up 500k. He isn't on 500k now and he almost certainly wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be getting 500k on a new deal. Him leaving now only frees up what he's currently on, which I think you'll find isn't a whole lot. You also have to replace his spot in the squad and even at base price it's over 100k. So offloading Oates in reality does very little to free up our current cap. It could do a bit to ease pressure on our future cap if we don't re-sign him, but again, you don't get the full difference because you still have to fill his place in the squad.

Signing Oates going forward for anything over 400k would be a terrible idea, but even 400k isn't very likely to buy you a Fullback of any decent calibre, let alone a good one.
I can only go off what is reported in the media and 2018 nrl.com has him at 450k, he wouldn’t be on any less in 2019 and that doesn’t seem far fetched considering the hype around him at that time, his biggest mistake was him signing these one year deals as the hype is diminishing at a rate of knots.
I agree with you that signing him for any more then 350k is a huge mistake I just don’t see him taking it. So I’d rather give the 100k to a farnworth or even coats to play on the wing. Save the rest for upgrades to fafita and use the rest of “birds” money if he’s actually going... to chase a fb with even more money coming off the books in the next couple of years.

Sorry if the sentence structure and points being made are out of whack I’m trying to feed a 10 month old at the time.

I can only go off what is reported in the media and 2018 nrl.com has him at 450k, he wouldn’t be on any less in 2019 and that doesn’t seem far fetched considering the hype around him at that time, his biggest mistake was him signing these one year deals as the hype is diminishing at a rate of knots.
I agree with you that signing him for any more then 350k is a huge mistake I just don’t see him taking it. So I’d rather give the 100k to a farnworth or even coats to play on the wing. Save the rest for upgrades to fafita and use the rest of “birds” money if he’s actually going... to chase a fb with even more money coming off the books in the next couple of years.

Sorry if the sentence structure and points being made are out of whack I’m trying to feed a 10 month old at the time.
Yeah I understand it's hard to know for sure what they're on. I was under the impression it was closer to 350k, so his replacement would be on like 120k or whatever the new figure is next year for minimum contracts, so it doesn't free up a huge amount whether its 350k or 450k and either way it doesn't leave us enough to buy a decent quality Fullback most likely.

I could live with 400k going forward. He's an Origin Winger and in form he's a genuine game breaker like the best Wingers can be, so I don't think it's huge money for his abilities, but he hasn't show enough lately to suggest he's worth really any more than that.

Freeing up Bird definitely gives us better bang for buck, but that's contingent on someone picking up his contract, otherwise we still have to kick in the difference which again diminishes how much cap relief we eventually get. I still think I'd take getting him off our books though. With that sort of money left we might be in the market for a mid tier Fullback like Brimson, which would still be a big upgrade on our current options.

No need to apologise on the sentences etc, I feel you on the 10 month old, mine is only slightly older and I know it can be bloody hard work!

Last edited:
I feel your pain, brother. So hard to multitask without ovaries!
Oh man! The wife just doesn’t understand why I suck so much at it, it’s genetics leave me in my struggle hahaha

Yeah I understand it's hard to know for sure what they're on. I was under the impression it was closer to 350k, so his replacement would be on like 120k or whatever the new figure is next year for minimum contracts, so it doesn't free up a huge amount whether its 350k or 450k and either way it doesn't leave us enough to buy a decent quality Fullback most likely.

I could live with 400k going forward. He's an Origin Winger and in form he's a genuine game breaker like the best Wingers can be, so I don't think it's huge money for his abilities, but he hasn't show enough lately to suggest he's worth really any more than that.

Freeing up Bird definitely gives us better bang for buck, but that's contingent on someone picking up his contract, otherwise we still have to kick in the difference which again diminishes how much cap relief we eventually get. I still think I'd take getting him off our books though. With that sort of money left we might be in the market for a mid tier Fullback like Brimson, which would still be a big upgrade on our current options.

No need to apologise on the sentences etc, I feel you on the 10 month old, mine is only slightly older and I know it can be bloody hard work!
I mean if it were up to me I’d give bird a shot at fb. But there is a poster on here who is certain he’s going.
I agree with what you say about oats it’s just the things that make him gun like “kick returns” is teams aren’t kicking to him deep anymore as they know what he can do in open space so there goes one of his strengths. one of his biggest weaknesses is his catching the highball under pressure, teams also know this and target him. As a modern winger this needs to be your bread and butter at the very least.

Yes he’s an origin winger but is that because he deserves to be or is it because we are as dry as the Simpson desert when it comes to outside backs?

Look if we can keep oats for 350k or less then yep sure.

I still want brimson though...who’s up for kidnapping the roosters book keepers.

I mean if it were up to me I’d give bird a shot at fb. But there is a poster on here who is certain he’s going.
I agree with what you say about oats it’s just the things that make him gun like “kick returns” is teams aren’t kicking to him deep anymore as they know what he can do in open space so there goes one of his strengths. one of his biggest weaknesses is his catching the highball under pressure, teams also know this and target him. As a modern winger this needs to be your bread and butter at the very least.

Yes he’s an origin winger but is that because he deserves to be or is it because we are as dry as the Simpson desert when it comes to outside backs?

I still want brimson though...who’s up for kidnapping the roosters book keepers.

I'm in aslong as we swing by Uncle Nick's and we grab that fucker too
[automerge]1570697806[/automerge]
I say we sign Scott McLaughlin to play 7. The way he's going he could drive anything to victory

Last edited:

The reality of the Roosters roster is that they are heaps smarter than we have been. They seem to be able to offload players that aren’t fitting with the model and purchase players that are. Chooks spend 2mill on Tedesco and Cronk Vs Broncos 2mill on Boyd, Macca and Bird....Bird isn’t that bad, but we didn’t fucken need him, we needed a fucking half back. I just shake my head...I don’t know how we ended up here.

Well it is, he's a Brisbane boy and Broncos are a much better club. Realistically he's a much better chance of winning a premiership here than the titans, so is an extra 100k or so now worth it.
Exactly this. I know it's been done to death many times, but unless there's a huge difference in offers, surely playing with a premium club and all the extra exposure and earning ability it would bring later in his career, it's hardly a risky move. I just can't see how it would come down to money only.
Gold Coast were terrible this year and won the spoon at a canter. We were mostly terrible and made the finals. (For sanity's sake I'm only looking at regular season football. Finals doesn't apply!) Where would you rather be? Cause it's a no-brainer for me.

The reality of the Roosters roster is that they are heaps smarter than we have been. They seem to be able to offload players that aren’t fitting with the model and purchase players that are. Chooks spend 2mill on Tedesco and Cronk Vs Broncos 2mill on Boyd, Macca and Bird....Bird isn’t that bad, but we didn’t fucken need him, we needed a fucking half back. I just shake my head...I don’t know how we ended up here.

Bird has his positives, mostly his effort from the limited games, but regardless I always maintained he was a luxury buy that wasn’t necessary, particularly when you had a critically objective look at our team. We could’ve kept Opacic and spent that money on a half

Bird was a buy the Roosters would’ve made for this season just gone or 2020 when they’re already so strong and then can afford to upgrade a position with very little detriment to the rest of the team

Warning: the following comes from reading the play on twitter

Lol, is there even a single half that hasn't been mentioned SOMEWHERE? I'm pretty sure every single one has been mentioned by someone.

Lol, is there even a single half that hasn't been mentioned SOMEWHERE? I'm pretty sure every single one has been mentioned by someone.
Dosen't sound promising, and why would macca retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Morkel
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Dee
  • The True King
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.