Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does Hastings have an NRL release clause in his new contract? He only just signed to move to Wigan, surely Wigan would ask for a transfer fee assuming they even are willing to let him go.

Paying a transfer fee considering our restricted salary cap position would easily be as stupid of a decision as signing Bird on crazy money.

The above rumour is absolute codswallop.

You can expect Bird to sign with the Dragons shortly, after rejecting a late sniff around by the Storm. Also expecting some news on Hastings once the Super League final is played on the weekend. Rapana to Broncos rumour was never going to happen so cross that one out too (sorry Ning but your mail sucks lol). Isaako will be playing fullback with Arthurs and Farmworth fighting it out for the other wing spot. You can read that as fact.

Hasn't Hastings already signed a lucrative deal with Wigan? I'm sure if he has and we want him, we will have to pay a transfer fee.

Is Hastings worth a serious look by us. I know he has signed with Wigan, but if, as rumoured, he has a get out clause to come back to the NRL, on the back of what he has done in SL this year, he must be a possibility for us?? If we would have to pay a hefty transfer fee, then no.

Only way I'd be okay with Walker is if it's a 1-2 year deal.

Can he play fullback? Serious question.

I'm pretty sure any transfers fees are outside of the cap so I couldn't care less if the club wanted to pay 300-400k to Wigan to secure a release.

That being said I know very little of Hastings so I have no opinion on how he'd go for us but I still want Croft.

Why has Croft not signed yet FFS?

Bring Croft home!!

Maybe I am in the minority but I have little to no interest in Hastings.

It is common for players who can barely make first grade in the NRL to go to the Super League and suddenly turn it on... Take Blake Austin as the most recent example.

Sure, maybe there are cases of talented individuals in a slump getting a chance, with a change of scenery, to realise their potential... but more often than not I feel like the standard of play (especially in the halves / backline) required to shine is much lower.

Hastings had every chance to show he could make it in the NRL and produced nothing, dominating the Super League this year does nothing to make me think he would be more likely to succeed this time around.

If we give Dearden his shot, with Milf at 6 (hopeful of this) then we should be looking for an elite 1 or 9 to afford these two young ballplayers the greatest chance of success.

If Dearden is a year or 2 away then I am happy with Croft at the right price... no other potential signings mentioned here (Walker, Sezer) offer anything we don't already have, in my opinion.

Hope to hear some news soon!

Only way I'd be okay with Walker is if it's a 1-2 year deal.

Can he play fullback? Serious question.

It'd be a bit of the Milford's with Cody at Fullback, he has the skill, speed and footwork for it, absolutely, but doesn't have the size, strength & work ethic required to be an elite one.

It's no surprise to me that the best 4 Fullbacks in the game this year were arguably Teddy, RTS, Turbo & CNK, they're all big, strong and essentially don't get tired. 4 of the fittest guys in the comp.

Edit: Actually, I don't think I'd put Turbo in the same category as the other 3, I don't think he's as strong or fit as them, he's just a freak of nature.

Last edited:
If it's true that one of our more highly paid players will be retiring or we end up offloading Bird to another club. Than we will surely find a way to free up enough coin to chase a marquee signing. I would be targeting either Papenhuyzen or Dylan Brown from the Eels. Tommy turbo would be another good option if we could somehow convince him to leave manly.

Obviously Turbo is highly unlikely but I see no reason as to why we couldn't go all out on the other two. Sure, they are more likely to stay at their current clubs but that doesn't mean we aren't capable of poaching one of them. I mean we have lost plenty of good talent over the years to other clubs and codes.

Maybe I am in the minority but I have little to no interest in Hastings.

It is common for players who can barely make first grade in the NRL to go to the Super League and suddenly turn it on... Take Blake Austin as the most recent example.

Sure, maybe there are cases of talented individuals in a slump getting a chance, with a change of scenery, to realise their potential... but more often than not I feel like the standard of play (especially in the halves / backline) required to shine is much lower.

Hastings had every chance to show he could make it in the NRL and produced nothing, dominating the Super League this year does nothing to make me think he would be more likely to succeed this time around.

it was never talent with Hastings. he seems to have been toxic and forced out of two clubs before heading to super league

it was never talent with Hastings. he seems to have been toxic and forced out of two clubs before heading to super league

Poor attitude is arguably worse than lack of talent

Adam Reynolds alongside Milford would be a good option. Don't mind Hastings but a big no to Walker too hot and cold. Mostly cold.
[automerge]1570758053[/automerge]
Broncs awards night tonight. If rumours of a big name retirement are correct then may be an announcement.

Last edited:
it was never a case of Bird or a half ... we chased a half at the same time ... he just decided to rot away on the coast, completely fucking up his career for an extra few hundred grand.
No, for an extra lots of hundred grands !!! I'd have done the same...250k as an understudy in Brisbane with a blockage in front or 750k more and a frontrow seat plus living by the beach if you want...no brainer.

I just remember that 3 man overlap hastings had and he decided to run himself..so selfish. Would only want to look at him if he has grown up a bit from rubbish like that.

what is it with Raiders and halfbacks...the place kills them with monotonous regularity; is it the fact their greatest ever halfback is the coach... ??

They seem to have new half combo every year now...

No, for an extra lots of hundred grands !!! I'd have done the same...250k as an understudy in Brisbane with a blockage in front or 750k more and a frontrow seat plus living by the beach if you want...no brainer.

we aren't talking about when he originally left the Broncos to the Titans. we chased him to come back after Hunt signed with the Dragons ... there was little to no competition for him in the 7 at the Broncos, if he came back for the 2018 season

he was reportedly offered the around the 750k mark to come back ... the Titans offer was reportedly around the $1 million mark. so a few hundred grand difference.

If it's true that one of our more highly paid players will be retiring or we end up offloading Bird to another club. Than we will surely find a way to free up enough coin to chase a marquee signing. I would be targeting either Papenhuyzen or Dylan Brown from the Eels. Tommy turbo would be another good option if we could somehow convince him to leave manly.

Obviously Turbo is highly unlikely but I see no reason as to why we couldn't go all out on the other two. Sure, they are more likely to stay at their current clubs but that doesn't mean we aren't capable of poaching one of them. I mean we have lost plenty of good talent over the years to other clubs and codes.
Even with Bird and another high paid player leaving we'd still be well short of what Manly can offer Turbo, let alone what it would cost us to actually get him to leave them. Absolutely no chance.

As for Papenhuyzen, if he's leaving Melbourne then it's likely going to cost any other club an absolute arm and a leg too. No way we can win that bidding war. Not sure why we'd chase Dylan Brown, we already have our own Dylan Brown but potentially even better in Dearden.
[automerge]1570759855[/automerge]
we aren't talking about when he originally left the Broncos to the Titans. we chased him to come back after Hunt signed with the Dragons ... there was little to no competition for him in the 7 at the Broncos, if he came back for the 2018 season

he was reportedly offered the around the 750k mark to come back ... the Titans offer was reportedly around the $1 million mark. so a few hundred grand difference.
Offering him 750k doesn't look good in hindsight. Perhaps he'd have faired better over here but there is every chance he'd have still struggled personally and we'd be the one left holding the baby.

Last edited:
Player swap - Milf for Walker?

I know some consider them dirty words around here but Wayne Bennet (*ducks*) has a part in his book on coaching that went into “never taking a sideward step”. I’m paraphrasing but basically it was don’t drop or transfer a player unless you have a better option. Otherwise it’s just change for the sake of change. I think Walker is basically the same player as Milf (though currently in slightly better form), except Milf has a great age advantage.

I’m not against the idea but it does feel like change just for sake of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • BooKhaki
  • Culhwch
  • Horseheadsup
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • Hurrijo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.