Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gort em, idn’t eye. Chortle chortle chortle.

No, thats James Roby!
[automerge]1570934929[/automerge]

We could have probably got somebody like Mitch Cronin from Wynnum in for about the same price as a backup hooker, and i dont think he would have been any worse than Lunt. The only thing Lunt has in his favour is he used to be a very decent player, maybe a change of country may spark him a bit.

didn’t we have Cronin on the books/train and trial year before last or the one before then?

didn’t we have Cronin on the books/train and trial year before last or the one before then?

I have a feeling we did but i'm not sure. He would be decent as a 3rd choice hooker

Just wondering how Hastings played in a losing side last night ?

Lunt would have zero wisdom of playing in Australia tbf, he could turn out to be a Hodgson, or he could turn out to be a Scott Moore. I'm not sure anyone would be expecting anything of him either.

Looks like its a load of rubbish anyway, but i think Cronin for example is less of a risk than Lunt after the problems he has had.

If we're going to sign a veteran Hooker to replace Macca & Segeyaro, I dunno why we don't reach out to Isaac Luke. He's apparently going to sign with the Dragons, he's going to get no playing time there because McInnes is a gun and can play 80. I would feel great knowing that Turps is learning from Luke at training, he'd also be nice injury / suspension cover. Probably wouldn't be a bad impact player off the bench for 25 minutes either.

If we're going to sign a veteran Hooker to replace Macca & Segeyaro, I dunno why we don't reach out to Isaac Luke. He's apparently going to sign with the Dragons, he's going to get no playing time there because McInnes is a gun and can play 80. I would feel great knowing that Turps is learning from Luke at training, he'd also be nice injury / suspension cover. Probably wouldn't be a bad impact player off the bench for 25 minutes either.

Isaac Luke is a piece of shit. Didn't he try to break his own cousins leg in that test match against England? He needs to be in a mental ward, not playing for the Broncs!

Last edited:
Yeah I've never been a fan of Lukes. One moment that has always really stood out to me over the journey is that bitch slap he delivered to Shillington in the 2010 4 Nations. That was when he was at the peak of his career, and also as a result was at peak cockhead. I've never liked him since, and it isn't like he isn't looking long in the tooth as it is. Aren't we already saddled with too many walruses who are past it?

Luke was one of my favourite players back at Souths. such a fiery little c****. He’s far too past it now for liking and I don’t think he’s exactly a great trainer or brainy fella. Probably don’t need him for his mentoring.

Jack Wighton rejects Canberra Raiders’
contract offer

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large,
The Sunday Telegraph
October 13, 2019 5:00am

Clive Churchill Medal winner Jack Wighton is for sale after rejecting an extension clause in his $750,000-a-season contract with the Canberra Raiders. The Blues Origin and now Kangaroos star is free to sign with a rival club at the end of the month. The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Wighton’s manager, Matt Rose, informed Canberra last week that the outstanding five-eighth, centre or fullback would not be taking up an option for 2021. News the Churchill Medal winner is on the open market will spark a multimillion-dollar bidding war among many of the 16 NRL clubs.

Wighton proved his worth to Canberra in the grand final. Photo: Jonathan Ng

Wighton feels a strong sense of loyalty to the club and coach Ricky Stuart, who staunchly stood by him last year when he was suspended for 10 games for an assault. At the same time, he has improved out of sight as a player this year and wants to test the market.

“This isn’t to say he wants to leave the Raiders,” Rose told The Sunday Telegraph. “But a lot has happened in his career this year and he’s decided against taking up an option in his favour. “When he signed the original contract, he wasn’t playing for NSW or Australia and he hadn’t won the Clive Churchill Medal on grand final day. “I’m not doing my job as his manager unless we can check the market.”

The bond with coach Ricky Stuart could help Canberra’s chances.

Wighton will join Brisbane Broncos second-rower David Fifita as the hottest players on the open market when clubs can begin signing rival players from November 1. The one negative to come from Canberra’s amazingly successful season is that it has significantly bumped up the value of all their stars. Even before the grand final, English forward John Bateman hooked up with a new agent, Isaac Moses, who is already trying to negotiate a contract upgrade for the Dally M second-rower of the year.

Nicoll-Klokstad should be rewarded for his rise. Photo: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

Fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was an unknown at the start of the year but is suddenly rated among the best fullbacks in the competition and deserves an upgrade. Wighton could possibly earn $1 million-a-year on a long-term contract at another club.

If Ash Taylor is worth $1 million at the Titans, Anthony Milford $1 million at the Broncos and Ben Hunt $1.2 million at the Dragons, Wighton can certainly attract that sort of money. His tight relationship with Stuart will no doubt work in Canberra’s favour. Yet the opportunity for the 26-year-old to earn up towards $5 million over four years in his next deal will be tempting.

Direct swap for Darius. Sorted.

Jack Wighton rejects Canberra Raiders’
contract offer

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large,
The Sunday Telegraph
October 13, 2019 5:00am

Clive Churchill Medal winner Jack Wighton is for sale after rejecting an extension clause in his $750,000-a-season contract with the Canberra Raiders. The Blues Origin and now Kangaroos star is free to sign with a rival club at the end of the month. The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Wighton’s manager, Matt Rose, informed Canberra last week that the outstanding five-eighth, centre or fullback would not be taking up an option for 2021. News the Churchill Medal winner is on the open market will spark a multimillion-dollar bidding war among many of the 16 NRL clubs.

Wighton feels a strong sense of loyalty to the club and coach Ricky Stuart, who staunchly stood by him last year when he was suspended for 10 games for an assault. At the same time, he has improved out of sight as a player this year and wants to test the market.

“This isn’t to say he wants to leave the Raiders,” Rose told The Sunday Telegraph. “But a lot has happened in his career this year and he’s decided against taking up an option in his favour. “When he signed the original contract, he wasn’t playing for NSW or Australia and he hadn’t won the Clive Churchill Medal on grand final day. “I’m not doing my job as his manager unless we can check the market.”

Wighton will join Brisbane Broncos second-rower David Fifita as the hottest players on the open market when clubs can begin signing rival players from November 1. The one negative to come from Canberra’s amazingly successful season is that it has significantly bumped up the value of all their stars. Even before the grand final, English forward John Bateman hooked up with a new agent, Isaac Moses, who is already trying to negotiate a contract upgrade for the Dally M second-rower of the year.

Fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was an unknown at the start of the year but is suddenly rated among the best fullbacks in the competition and deserves an upgrade. Wighton could possibly earn $1 million-a-year on a long-term contract at another club.

If Ash Taylor is worth $1 million at the Titans, Anthony Milford $1 million at the Broncos and Ben Hunt $1.2 million at the Dragons, Wighton can certainly attract that sort of money. His tight relationship with Stuart will no doubt work in Canberra’s favour. Yet the opportunity for the 26-year-old to earn up towards $5 million over four years in his next deal will be tempting.

That last paragraph is exactly why Wighton shouldn’t be given $1m. It’s a trap.

it will cost a million dollars a year to get him away from the Raiders .... If we had a million dollars a year spare, we could go out and buy an elite game managing halfback, instead of spending it on another running 5/8

Wighton is a good player though, he has developed a good kicking game in the short time he has been a 6 and he isn't shy asking for the ball, something that could help us.

It could work alongside Dearden who can focus on the game management.

He isn't free for 2020 though it will be 2021 which is perfect for us as we can get Bird off our books and Possibly Boyd.

Last edited:
If the value of contracts like Taylor, Milford and Hunt is your only bargaining chip then that really isn't saying much for you to be honest. All 3 of those deals are looking mighty below par at this moment.

Last edited:
If the value of contracts like Taylors, Milford and Hunts is your only bargaining chip then that really isn't saying much for you to be honest. All 3 of those deals are looking mighty below par at this moment.
True that. In fact, they are the poster child for overpaying for either potential or in the case of McGregor, clear lunacy thinking that Hunt was a game managing half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Gaz
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • theshed
  • FACTHUNT
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.