Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it has to benefit the players who eventually move up to 1st grade, they would know their role well which would make them more comfortable.

Unlike when the broncos bring someone in from qcup they look like a new born giraffe walking for the first time. (Shibasaki)

Last edited:
Unlike when the broncos bring someone in from qcup they look like a new born giraffe walking for the first time. (Shibasaki)
Exactly, because they train with us and play a different style in cup . Confusion!!

We’re the richest club in the sport but with the salary cap there no benefit for being the richest we have to pay overs to keep our young talent which is shit I like the idea of us having a reserve team play them in The spot were we want them to play in first grade buy another team out who cares if it pisses the locals off as long as the broncos are winning and the players hit first grade ready

Perhaps I'm not very switched on with the way things are done but I don't think it quite works that way.

I also don't think it's good for business to alienate the locals and lose a good source of income.

Boyd to centre for final year, Gillett to retire for medical reasons, Glenn to Parramatta and McCullough to Warriors.

Perhaps I'm not very switched on with the way things are done but I don't think it quite works that way.

I also don't think it's good for business to alienate the locals and lose a good source of income.
I started a thread on this some time back but didn't have much legs .. my thought was to field an actual bronx reserves in q cup wearing Broncos colours... same as some sydney clubs do. Mix of nrl top 30/ development players plus q cup registered players only outside the salary cap. Play home games as curtain raisers at Suncorp or stand alone s at red hill. Give the Broncos haters a team to hate at cup level as well. I agree that I don't see our feeder arrangements as overly mutually beneficial..better to fully develop our own systems and maintain control. I guess qrl would need to buy in so who knows how that goes. Surely cost couldn't be that much of an issue considering the infrastructure we already have in place.

Boyd to centre for final year, Gillett to retire for medical reasons, Glenn to Parramatta and McCullough to Warriors.
is this your dream scenario or is there reason to believe otherwise?
[automerge]1571275108[/automerge]
I started a thread on this some time back but didn't have much legs .. my thought was to field an actual bronx reserves in q cup wearing Broncos colours... same as some sydney clubs do. Mix of nrl top 30/ development players plus q cup registered players only outside the salary cap. Play home games as curtain raisers at Suncorp or stand alone s at red hill. Give the Broncos haters a team to hate at cup level as well. I agree that I don't see our feeder arrangements as overly mutually beneficial..better to fully develop our own systems and maintain control. I guess qrl would need to buy in so who knows how that goes. Surely cost couldn't be that much of an issue considering the infrastructure we already have in place.
I reckon the idea of having a reserve team playing at Q Cup level is great, we would just need to invest. I think Manly had to pay 1 million when they teamed up with Sunny Coast and they were there for 3 years. You would think it would have to be a 5-10 mill job with at least a decade of guaranteed funding.

We can't overspend on salary cap. We just got new facilities. Staff has a cap too so apparently we can't overspend on that. Why not use some of our profits on something like that? The counter argument is that it's probably a huge moneysink, and so outside of players, the ROI is not good.

Last edited:
Milf is one of those players who has a mountain of talent and when he has tapped into it he has looked like a future Immortal, but sadly he has nowhere near the mental fortitude needed to pursue it and make use of it consistently. You can call it laziness if you wish, I will shy away from that for now because I honestly don't know what his problem really is, but he has been on a clear and steady decline since his best footy in 2015/6 with no sign of recovery anywhere.

I put a LOT of the blame for that on the disgraceful state of our spine of course, you can be the most professional footy player in the comp and you can't possibly work with that shit, but he has to take ownership of his own shit as well, and there have been times, a LOT of times in fact where his physique and body language have looked very ordinary for such a highly paid footballer, as if he really cannot be arsed being a marquee player anymore. "Dave Taylor Syndrome" feels comically overused as a descriptor at this point, but it works here, sort of.

He looks destined to join Blake Austin in the Not-So-Super league, and that is SAD to me. I want nothing but the best for Milf, he seems like a good natured young man if not a bit of an introvert, but his priorities at this moment in his life and career are clearly not where they need to be for his value, and the responsibility for that really isn't on the club. It's on Milford.
Eh. Disagree. He hasn't had the environment, support or system around him to play his natural game.

He's a yes man and team player. Why he keeps putting his hand up to play positions that aren't really him...

Halfback, doesn't have the game management or kicking arsenal to play the chief. But he did hours and hours of extras to hone his kicking game and became our not only no one choice, but our ONLY choice for in field kicking. Not a good choice, but he did try.

Fullback, wasn't in the right physical shape, STILL our only in game choice kicker, had to go back there and hastily put his body through it while his "leader" and "captain" constantly embarrassed the club by taking a knee when the team needed him to pull off the big captain plays.

So nah, it isn't his mental fortitude, it's actually his passiveness to say yes to tasks that actually hinder his development and career while others around him let him down.

I reckon the idea of having a reserve team playing at Q Cup level is great, we would just need to invest. I think Manly had to pay 1 million when they teamed up with Sunny Coast and they were there for 3 years. You would think it would have to be a 5-10 mill job with at least a decade of guaranteed funding.

We can't overspend on salary cap. We just got new facilities. Staff has a cap too so apparently we can't overspend on that. Why not use some of our profits on something like that? The counter argument is that it's probably a huge moneysink, and so outside of players, the ROI is not good.

I really like this idea mate. Not sure if it's even possible to add a new team to Qcup but if we could than Springfield would be a great option. Rugby league is fairly established in the area and it's one of the fastest growing regions in Australia, hence why it is talked about as a potential expansion area for the NRL. Great opportunity for the club to grow it's fan base as well as prepare our fringe players for whats required at NRL level.

Sorry mate this was meant as a response to @johnny plath

Last edited:
Eh. Disagree. He hasn't had the environment, support or system around him to play his natural game.

He's a yes man and team player. Why he keeps putting his hand up to play positions that aren't really him...

Halfback, doesn't have the game management or kicking arsenal to play the chief. But he did hours and hours of extras to hone his kicking game and became our not only no one choice, but our ONLY choice for in field kicking. Not a good choice, but he did try.

Fullback, wasn't in the right physical shape, STILL our only in game choice kicker, had to go back there and hastily put his body through it while his "leader" and "captain" constantly embarrassed the club by taking a knee when the team needed him to pull off the big captain plays.

So nah, it isn't his mental fortitude, it's actually his passiveness to say yes to tasks that actually hinder his development and career while others around him let him down.
That is actually a fair and fairly plausible analysis to be honest. Well done.

Great idea.

The Brisbane comp would be pissed - their annoyance with the Broncos stems from the fact that until the late 80's, the Q-Cup competition was a first-grade comp, it was just a different region to the NSW comp. Having a Brisbane team in the NSWRL essentially confirmed that they were no longer on par, they were already losing players to the gambling money down south, now they were losing their only drawcard for local players - remaining in Brisbane to play. Having a "reserve grade" Broncos team in the Q-Cup would be a further blow.

BUT, **** it. Most of the clubs are already feeder teams to NRL clubs. We are a very profitable club, and now that there is a salary cap on coaching staff, there is little advantage in being well run. We have the cash to spend. It might appear to be a money sink, but for mine it would be a very worthwhile investment. Q-Cup sides are run bare-bones with a huge amount of volunteers, but an investment from the NRL club would be a huge benefit, and they may in fact be able to attract better sponsors than other Cup teams purely because of the Broncos tag.

10/10. Would bone that idea.

Here's a novel idea:

Perhaps investing a greater percentage of our considerable funds directly into these proud, historic clubs, most of whom have been ingrained into the fabric of Brisbane Rugby League culture for far, far longer than the Broncos have, would do a great deal more to help our cause, both in driving better development pathways, better performance on the field as well as strengthening our goodwill and emotional connection to the people of Brisbane, than simply setting up a well funded, soul-less new club in THEIR competition that can just go out and flog them every week.

Last edited:
Here's a novel idea:

Perhaps investing a greater percentage of our considerable funds directly into these proud, historic clubs, most of whom have been ingrained into the fabric of Brisbane Rugby League culture for far, far longer than the Broncos have, would do a great deal more to help our cause, both in driving better development pathways, better performance on the field as well as strengthening our goodwill and emotional connection to the people of Brisbane, than simply setting up a well funded, soul-less new club in THEIR competition that can just go out and flog them every week.
You almost convinced me but then the idea of flogging someone every week just sounds really good to me at the moment.

Exactly, because they train with us and play a different style in cup . Confusion!!

They're professional athletes do you really think two hours on Sunday is confusing?
[automerge]1571361812[/automerge]
We’re the richest club in the sport but with the salary cap there no benefit for being the richest we have to pay overs to keep our young talent which is shit I like the idea of us having a reserve team play them in The spot were we want them to play in first grade buy another team out who cares if it pisses the locals off as long as the broncos are winning and the players hit first grade ready

Yeah I am sure Redcliffe are just going to put up the for sale sign and walk away from their massive business that makes millions.
[automerge]1571361926[/automerge]
I still think it has to benefit the players who eventually move up to 1st grade, they would know their role well which would make them more comfortable.

Not really, look at Coates, why would you make him move from the Tweed where he has played all his football and make him leave home and move to Redcliffe when he doesn't want it. Not really the way to end up with happy kids is it or happy parents.

Last edited:

Why would the QRL be partied to that? Another team in the city they have the city covered. Expansion of the QRL would need to be Woomba.

You would have to fund and have players for three grades if you're a ISC club and staff with a ground.

Costs and responsibility add up.
[automerge]1571362214[/automerge]
I really like this idea mate. Not sure if it's even possible to add a new team to Qcup but if we could than Springfield would be a great option. Rugby league is fairly established in the area and it's one of the fastest growing regions in Australia, hence why it is talked about as a potential expansion area for the NRL. Great opportunity for the club to grow it's fan base as well as prepare our fringe players for whats required at NRL level.

Sorry mate this was meant as a response to @johnny plath

Why would the QRL allow a second Ipswich team?

Last edited:
Here's a novel idea:

They all have leagues clubs with pokies, they're raking in money like it's no one's business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
  • Skathen
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hurrijo
  • Rookie Alan
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.