Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesi Niu gets a try assist in both these games- for anyone that didn’t watch the nines.

Tesi Niu gets a try assist in both these games- for anyone that didn’t watch the nines.
scored a ripper try as well in the last game, the stepping was impressive

not really ... 9's is a completely different game to the NRL
If you genuinely don't think his form in the 9's has done anything at all to drive up what other clubs might be prepared to pay for him then I think you might need a reality check.

Weaker, more desperate clubs love chasing players with hype and a profile around them, and whether the 9's form will carry over to NRL form or not, the hype is absolutely there and his profile definitely just got bigger.

Yep. I am a fan of Corey but if we need money and Boyd or Macca don’t move on then Oates is the logical choice to go simply because he’s off contract ( not because of form) and we have competent and cheap backup on the wing.
I'd be bitterly dissapointed to lose Oates, but if it comes down to him or Fifita then sadly, it's just no contest.

I think knowing we're losing a guy like Oates simply because we're unable to come up with a solution to our Boyd and AM9 problems really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Surely Boyd can see how that plays out quite badly in the media too.

Last edited:
I'd be bitterly dissapointed to lose Oates, but if it comes down to him or Fifita then sadly, it's just no contest.

I think knowing we're losing a guy like Oates simply because we're unable to come up with a solution to our Boyd and AM9 problems really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Surely Boyd can see how that plays out quite badly in the media too.
I agree. But I think the most likely scenario is that Macca moves on. When Lockyer came out a while ago and said Paix was in line for the bench utility role that was a message for Macca because we aren’t dropping Turpin from the 17. So hopefully Macca goes and we pick up Croft or Hastings and re-sign Fifita and Oates but if Macca doesn’t get picked up then sadly it will probably be Oates to go because it doesn’t look like Boyd is leaving.

I agree. But I think the most likely scenario is that Macca moves on. When Lockyer came out a while ago and said Paix was in line for the bench utility role that was a message for Macca because we aren’t dropping Turpin from the 17. So hopefully Macca goes and we pick up Croft or Hastings and re-sign Fifita and Oates but if Macca doesn’t get picked up then sadly it will probably be Oates to go because it doesn’t look like Boyd is leaving.
Yeah but Macca can't just leave. He has to be picked up by someone else at his full contract value, otherwise we're subsidising the difference in salaries and still carrying that portion on our cap. I think plenty of clubs could use him, just not sure what they'd want to pay for him and how they'd handle that knowing they can force the Broncos to an extent because we badly need him off our books.

Yeah but Macca can't just leave. He has to be picked up by someone else at his full contract value, otherwise we're subsidising the difference in salaries and still carrying that portion on our cap. I think plenty of clubs could use him, just not sure what they'd want to pay for him and how they'd handle that knowing they can force the Broncos to an extent because we badly need him off our books.
Yep. It’ll come down to money.

Monday Buzz: Rabbitohs in $3.6 million bind over Sam Burgess
The man who will determine the South Sydney Rabbitohs’ premiership hopes over the next three years is not supercoach Wayne Bennett.
It is more likely to be Richard Gardham. Richard who?
He is the NRL’s chief salary cap auditor and a former accountant at Deloitte who will make the decision on whether Sam Burgess can be medically retired with his shoulder injury without affecting the club’s salary cap.
More Monday Buzz: Matty Johns eyes return to radio
This would allow the Rabbitohs to chase a potential superstar like David Fifita by freeing up Burgess’s $1.2 million a year salary ($3.6 million while he is contracted for the next three years.)
This is a situation every club in the game is closely monitoring.
Sam Burgess’s $1.2 million a year salary could become a big problem for South Sydney. Picture: AAP
Sam Burgess’s $1.2 million a year salary could become a big problem for South Sydney. Picture: AAP
There have been situations in the past (Brett Stewart at Manly and Anthony Watmough at Parramatta) when the NRL ruled they had to stay in the salary cap despite career-ending injuries like the one Burgess potentially has.
There were questions already being asked about the Rabbitohs earlier this year when Greg Inglis retired and the NRL ruled the club could get cap relief.
So we checked out the NRL rules. If a player medically retires, a club must apply to the NRL to seek salary cap relief. There are a couple of stipulations. The salary cap auditor must then study medical records and evidence to determine:
FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Watch the flip or sell challenge on Love it or List it. Only on Foxtel Find out more
a) The player, at the time of termination, was diagnosed as medically unfit to currently continue to train and play elite-level contact sport and was medically unable to ever return to play elite-level contact sport due to the current level of disability or the significant risk of further disabling injury as a result of playing elite level contract sport.
b) The player had no similar injury or medical condition to that area of the body that either has or could reasonably be predicted medically to lead to a degenerative condition of that area of the body prior to signing his last NRL contract.
Burgess’s last contract was signed towards the end of last year.
The club’s general manager of football, Shane Richardson, said the injury was suffered this year in round five on April 13 against the New Zealand Warriors on the Sunshine Coast. He did it late in the first half but played out the game.
Sam Burgess injures his shoulder during a game against the Warriors on the Sunshine Coast.
Sam Burgess injures his shoulder during a game against the Warriors on the Sunshine Coast.
The very strong tip is Burgess will not play again, not that South Sydney will confirm that.
“We’re still going through a process,” Richardson said on Sunday.
“Whatever happens, Sam is entitled to get his money. It’s a matter of whether we get dispensation in the cap if he is forced to retire. We haven’t explored that or gone to the NRL.”
Souths claim to have records proving that in Burgess’s medical, when he signed in 2018, there was no indication of the shoulder problem that is forcing him out of the game.
“It definitely wasn’t a pre-existing injury,” Richardson said.
“But we still haven’t given up hope that he will play next year.”
The strong tip is Sam Burgess will not play again.
The strong tip is Sam Burgess will not play again.
Others claim there is more to the story. Even an acceptance among Souths’ powerbrokers that Sam’s ill-discipline, judiciary record and off-field dramas have become too much.
That they might even be quietly encouraging him to walk away.
A decision will have to be made sooner rather than later. Surely Souths can’t sit back and wait until March for a decision from the NRL. They have a roster to sort out and will need a significant signing to replace the great English forward.
Originally published as Monday Buzz: Rabbitohs in $3.6m salary cap scrap
This is making me nervous About our hopes of keeping Fifita.

So you're telling me Burgess can whine about his shoulder for a few months and potentially get a medical retirement, while Boyd plays like a complete busted ass and we're stuck with him?

That is bullshit, if souths get another exemption it is such a load of crap and the league isnt even trying to hide its bias towards souths.

Burgess has had niggling issues in his shoulders for years.

**** off, They will 100% get off and then sign fafita.

the question also needs to be will Souths want to keep a million free in the salary cap next year while they wait until 2021 in the hope of getting Fifita

**** off, They will 100% get off and then sign fafita.

I'd be done with the sport if that happened, and I watched pretty much every game this year (mainly for SC). Souths, rorters, Melbourne get so many leg ups it's incredible.

EDIT: I don't agree with Souths having to carry his cap if he retires, but those are the rules which they knew when they signed him to a stupid 5 year deal with pre-existing injuries. He shouldn't even be allowed to give up his money GI style because it's obvious that he won't lose out on cash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.