Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
It would be a very odd experience if say we let someone like Niu go on loan to the warriors.
This whole year is shaping up to be pretty odd. In the broader context of a global pandemic and international travel being essentially shut down, loaning reserve players to the Warriors so they can continue to field a team while being stuck on an unplanned trip to Aus which may go for months instead of the intended few days barely rates a "huh" on the scale of 0 to "holy fucken shit."

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
What happens if we end up needing Niu and he's with the Warriors?

You got to plan and prepare for the worst. We had a bad injury toll last season and it doesn't appear to be letting up this season.

There are a ton of players from the QLD and NSW comps the Warriors can choose from. They can pick those.

JAHHW

NRL Player
Not sure if it’s been said, but my only real concern with these loan arrangements is potential for poaching on a permanent basis.

Player x goes on loan to club y, performs well, gets an offer, grass is greener etc. and asks for a release.

Also as a couple of side issues; injury, suspension, can we have them back any time?

It’s a good idea in theory and will no doubt help keep the suffering clubs afloat during this very unusual and unprecedented time, but it would need some ironing out first.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
What happens if we end up needing Niu and he's with the Warriors?

You got to plan and prepare for the worst. We had a bad injury toll last season and it doesn't appear to be letting up this season.

There are a ton of players from the QLD and NSW comps the Warriors can choose from. They can pick those.
Pretty simple really, have a recall option. Its kind of a unique situation right now so i think due to the sacrifice the warriors have made i could see the NRL allowing something like this to happen.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
It doesn't help that the Warriors have one of the worst injury tolls in the league right now. Of their 29 man roster, 8 are out injured and 2 of them are back in NZ for personal reasons. Of the players who can return I believe only Beale and Curran are Australian citizens.

That's a 23 man squad, and that's counting two non-NRL contracted players in Tuimavave-Gerrard and Vuniyayawa.

I believe clubs should be open to the idea of lending them players, it's just logistically, how many players want to relocate to the Gold Coast at this time? It really puts pressure on the Broncos and the Titans, and neither side can really afford to lose anymore players.

Allo

NRL Captain
Give the ISC guys that don’t have contracts with clubs something to do, they can go and bolster squad numbers, actually play footy, get paid and maybe state their case for a legit pick up

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
I think all clubs should be open to loaning payers to the Warriors.

They've done the competition an absolutely huge favour by staying here in Australia, away from their loved ones, in a time when there is so much uncertainty about the current and future situation of the world.

They've basically saved the NRL's arse - I wonder if they'll get any thanks other than a pat on the back. Seriously, think about what they're sacrificing to stay here and play footy.

Allo

NRL Captain
I’d be more open to it happening with us if we actually had players to give them. With all the injuries, we need all the players we have. Someone like Kennar, who I have nothing against, is probably the only guy available.

The rest are kids (who if I’m being honest I want to debut for us) or 18-22nd man like Kennedy or Hoppa when all our guys come back from injuries and suspensions but are still necessary to have ready to slot into the team.

Give them Kahu if his biscuit body ever heals

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Pretty simple really, have a recall option. Its kind of a unique situation right now so i think due to the sacrifice the warriors have made i could see the NRL allowing something like this to happen.
That has potential PR shit storm written all over it. Given the situation the Warriors are in they aren’t going to want to just give up the player.

Let’s say both sides cop a high injury toll and they both need Niu. Neither side are going to want to budge on their stance.

In my view it would be easier for the NRL to give the Warriors a cap exemption to sign temporary deals for the necessary number of players they need to have a full squad with development players. Clubs would be understanding of that given their situation and no club would have to give up players and put up with a smaller roster for the near future.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
It isn’t really that difficult. Agree he can play on loan but add a clause that if needed, the player’s original club get him back, no if’s or buts. Also add in a clause the borrowing team cannot make an offer to the loaned player to move permanently.

There needs to be flexibility here and yes, there are concerns for injury, etc but they’ve been good enough to help the comp keep going, teams can be good enough to help them out. Plus, I’m pretty sure fringe first graders who aren’t playing at all would love the opportunity.

It’s a weird arrangement but it’s a weird time in the world. Embrace the weirdness.

Last edited:

pagey

NRL Captain
If they want someone give them kenner .
I for one don't want Niu debuting for the warriors, he's a development player why would you want a development player? Because they want to poach is why, that's the only reason I can think of wanting a player in Niu's position.

State of Origin Rep
If they want someone give them kenner .
I for one don't want Niu debuting for the warriors, he's a development player why would you want a development player? Because they want to poach is why, that's the only reason I can think of wanting a player in Niu's position.
You'd want a development player because you're more likely to get him, he can't play for you until June and he isn't in your top 30.

If you go in for Haas what do you think the Broncos would say?

Last edited:

State of Origin Rep
What was the story with Riki? He only played the opening 10 minutes against the Cutters before coming off - how long is he slated to be on the sideline for?

It seemed like he was ahead of Bullemor on the pecking order as well.
High ankle sprain.
- Merged

All of them? They didn’t have 1 (or 6) Australian based player in their squad?

How many exactly is ‘nearly’?
Two could stay. They have 24 players here.

Last edited:

JAHHW

NRL Player
You'd want a development player because you're more likely to get him, he can't play for you until June and he isn't in your top 30.

I think the point was more that it does appear a little curious why they asked for Niu specifically and not someone like Kennar.

I think most would agree, it is a little suspicious.

It would appear that neither are near making the Broncos 17 at present, but one is touted as a future gun that hasn’t played NRL, the other is a moderately experienced, ready for NRL player without such wraps on him.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I think the point was more that it does appear a little curious why they asked for Niu specifically and not someone like Kennar.

It would appear that neither are near making the Broncos 17 at present, but one is touted as a future gun that hasn’t played NRL, the other is a moderately experienced, ready for NRL player without such wraps on him.
This is 100% the reason of course, hence adding the can’t make an offer clause. That said, it depends on a club’s position of need too. Maybe RTS is injured or they need a centre. Niu can play both positions. Kennar is a winger currently trapped in an old school prop’s body.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
That has potential PR shit storm written all over it. Given the situation the Warriors are in they aren’t going to want to just give up the player.

Let’s say both sides cop a high injury toll and they both need Niu. Neither side are going to want to budge on their stance.

In my view it would be easier for the NRL to give the Warriors a cap exemption to sign temporary deals for the necessary number of players they need to have a full squad with development players. Clubs would be understanding of that given their situation and no club would have to give up players and put up with a smaller roster for the near future.
I dont see the PR storm. He is a Broncos player, we loan him to the Warriors and if we get an injury crisis we get him back as he is our player. Its been happening in soccer for decades with no issues whatsoever. Warriors would be going into it knowing they could lose a player they take on loan.

I think your other point has merit as well. Makes sense to give them a bit of leeway in the cap. They may need a combination of a loan player and an exemption to sign a player as well.

State of Origin Rep

Like I said I think you’d assume you’re less likely to get a top 30 player.

pagey

NRL Captain

Yeah but I didn't say haas , I said kenner.
Why wouldn't you opt for someone you can use and has experience, it's stupid to go for someone like Niu other than to poach them .

State of Origin Rep
Yeah but I didn't say haas , I said kenner.
Why wouldn't you opt for someone you can use and has experience, it's stupid to go for someone like Niu other than to poach them .
Read the reasons I gave you’re more likely to get a development player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.