Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone able to post the article from the DT where a club is apprarently going to throw $1mill at Fifita?
My guess is the rorters, dogs or eels, but I cannot open it..

It was reported months ago that the Eels were prepared to throw a million a season at Fifita

It was reported months ago that the Eels were prepared to throw a million a season at Fifita
I don't remember seeing the eels, but they could just be talking shit about the warriors throwing a million at literally everyone from Red Hill.

Could also be the dogs who are going after the Turbos.

Eels still have to lock up Dylan Brown who sees himself as a million dollar player... Mahoney will need an upgrade by 2021 as well

There’s a story in the DT this morning about Cronulla willing to release Moylan to Tigers which may in turn let Matterson go elsewhere so hopefully the Eels settle for him.

Apparently Val Holmes leaving NFLa intaking a million off the hands of cowboys. So that rules out a potential fullback option for us, but also removes a potential landing spot for Fifita...

Glass half empty or half full..?
[automerge]1571704048[/automerge]
I reckon staggering a contract for Fifita with incremental increase as Boyd, Gillett and Macca come off the books (also potentially Oates..?) should certainly be enough to get him to commit. Im very confident we keep Fifita, its just a matter of explaining the cap reality we are under, but he can get the type of money he is after here, just need to be a bit creative with how its staggered...

Now, we have ben burnt before by offering these deals...BUT...this is a generational type of player so normal rules are thrown out the window...

Last edited:
If Holmes goes to the cows, we should go for Clifford from them.

If Holmes goes to the cows, we should go for Clifford from them.

Really? I haven’t been that impressed by him. I’d certainly prefer to give Dearden the go before Clifford and of course would absolutely prefer Croft but of course, money is always an issue.

Apparently Val Holmes leaving NFLa intaking a million off the hands of cowboys. So that rules out a potential fullback option for us, but also removes a potential landing spot for Fifita...

Glass half empty or half full..?
[automerge]1571704048[/automerge]
I reckon staggering a contract for Fifita with incremental increase as Boyd, Gillett and Macca come off the books (also potentially Oates..?) should certainly be enough to get him to commit. Im very confident we keep Fifita, its just a matter of explaining the cap reality we are under, but he can get the type of money he is after here, just need to be a bit creative with how its staggered...

Now, we have ben burnt before by offering these deals...BUT...this is a generational type of player so normal rules are thrown out the window...

Agreed. Fifita and Haas are the two guys that should be non-negotiable. Everyone else is to an extent replaceable, these guys are not.

That said, a staggered contract should be fine. Macca, Gillett and Boyd’s money should be more than enough for Fifita and Croft, just need to backend to an extent.

So the cows will have JT13, Morgan, and now Holmes on a million dollars? Then they have McGuire, McLean, Hess, Granville, marsters on too much money between them.

Really? I haven’t been that impressed by him. I’d certainly prefer to give Dearden the go before Clifford and of course would absolutely prefer Croft but of course, money is always an issue.

I think he looks an excellent prospect at 7. Suffers a bit at the cows as he is playing at 6 because Morgan is their halfback.

I think he looks an excellent prospect at 7. Suffers a bit at the cows as he is playing at 6 because Morgan is their halfback.

Fair enough and you have certainly watched far more reserve grade than I get a chance to watch.

If it came down to a choice between Clifford, Croft and Dearden, who would you go with and why?

Fair enough and you have certainly watched far more reserve grade than I get a chance to watch.

If it came down to a choice between Clifford, Croft and Dearden, who would you go with and why?

I'm not sure tbh. Clifford performance for QLD u20's was better than anything I've seen from the other two, but that's only one game. Croft has done it at NRL level so that's a good point for him. I feel Tom could do with a year in ISC myself. You have got me there, I really don't know. I've kind of rated Clifford highly for a few years so I'd go with him at a push.

Last edited:
I'm not sure tbh. Clifford performance for QLD u20's was better than anything I've seen from the other two, but that's only one game. Croft has done it at NRL level so that's a good point for him. I feel Tom could do with a year in ISC myself. You have got me there, I really don't know. I've kind of rated Clifford highly for a few years so I'd go with him at a push.
It's not a very fair comparison to make. Dearden is a teenager and a complete Work in Progress, Clifford is only just above that, whereas Croft has a couple of seasons of NRL under his belt at the best club in the game. If you need a Halfback ready to go right now, which we do, it's surely got to be Croft, but that's not to say the other two wont be even better in 1-2 years time.

Last edited:
It's not a very fair comparison to make. Dearden is a teenager and a complete Work in Progress, Clifford is only just above that, whereas Croft has a couple of seasons of NRL under his belt at the best club in the game. If you need a Halfback ready to go right now, which we do, it's surely got to be Croft, but that's not to say the other two wont be even better in 1-2 years time.

Yep. It's not an easy choice. I'm just going with my gut that I think Clifford will be the better of the 3 over time.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head @kooly87. I feel the same, Broncs have the promising project young uns in Dearden and Paix. They need a 2-3 year ready half now. Who knows, Croft might even go to another level anyway.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head @kooly87. I feel the same, Broncs have the promising project young uns in Dearden and Paix. They need a 2-3 year ready half now. Who knows, Croft might even go to another level anyway.
I think he's fairly low risk for the potential reward he offers. Any alternatives inhouse or external are either older and already proven to offer fairly limited upside (Sezer) or are just as young and unproven as Dearden.

Croft is a great fit for Brisbane right now, and Brisbane right now is a great fit for Croft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Strop
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Tim K
  • Lurker
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Bish
  • Griffo
  • MrMoore
  • Galah
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.