Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read. If you actually took that from what I said, go have a lay down.

Wayne handled Milford all wrong - seems pretty obvious he didn't push him hard enough.

I wish we had listened when Paul Kent made up that Benji Marshall was horrified.

That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read. If you actually took that from what I said, go have a lay down.

I always suspected you didn’t read your own posts, now I know for sure.

I wish we had listened when Paul Kent made up that Benji Marshall was horrified.

Sweet avatar! Was actually watching the legendary journeys of Hercules on tv the other day. Good old 90s tv.

Sweet avatar! Was actually watching the legendary journeys of Hercules on tv the other day. Good old 90s tv.
It's sad that there will never be antyhing like it again. 90's tv and movies was 100% perfect. Why did they change the fucking formula? Fucking blasphemy.
[automerge]1571917338[/automerge]
If Kevin Sorbo wanted to play for Broncos I would allow it.

Last edited:
I always suspected you didn’t read your own posts, now I know for sure.
Well he’s been a million dollar player for two years, and he won poty in one, and had two different coaches in both years. He would win it every year if it wasn’t for mediocre coaching... hmmm

Last edited:

It could certainly be interpreted to an extent in that way. Although I got what you meant, I was only having a joke tbh. I know you would never turn on your messiah like that mate.

gen_204

Alex Glenn rebuffs Penrith to commit future to Brisbane Broncos
Brent Read11:00PM October 24, 2019
Alex Glenn could find himself captain after committing his future to Brisbane Broncos. Picture: AAP
Alex Glenn could find himself captain after committing his future to Brisbane Broncos. Picture: AAP
Alex Glenn is firming as the prime candidate to captain Brisbane next season after spurning interest from Penrith to commit his future to the Broncos.

The Panthers had tabled a deal designed to entice Glenn to Sydney and gave the New Zealand veteran a tour of the club’s facilities earlier this month.

The Panthers saw Glenn as the sort of experienced leader who could provide guidance to some of Penrith’s younger players and ultimately help them reach their potential. However, they couldn’t prise the 31-year-old away from Brisbane and he is expected to become the latest Broncos player to commit his future to the club, possibly as early as next week.

His decision should help ease some of the concerns over leadership at Brisbane. Incumbent captain Darius Boyd has been told he no longer has a divine right to a Broncos jersey after a disappointing year, while veteran hooker Andrew McCullough is likely to start next season behind Jake Turpin.

There has also been speculation over the health of Matt Gillett and, given the apparent changing of the guard in Brisbane, Matt Lodge has been mooted as the man most likely to take over the captaincy.

Stream the 2019 Oceania Cup Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

That talk was fuelled by the possibility Glenn could walk away to join Penrith. However, his decision to stay means coach Anthony Seibold has a genuine option to bridge the gap between the club’s ageing veterans and rising stars.

Glenn could comfortably hold the fort for the next two years while the Broncos wait for Lodge, Patrick Carrigan and Payne Haas to develop into leaders capable of guiding the club into the future.

It would also give Lodge another year or two to prove he is worthy of becoming club captain — the prop is regarded as the spiritual leader of the side but there have been concerns over handing him the captaincy given his past indiscretions.

The retention of Glenn comes as the Broncos continue the process of reshaping their squad, the club expected to complete a deal for Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft in coming weeks.

The Storm have told Croft he is free to leave and Seibold has already held talks with the Junior Kangaroos vice-captain, a deal likely to eventuate once the Broncos have freed up enough space for the playmaker.

Like Brisbane, Melbourne are in the throes of major changes to their squad. As well as Croft being released, Will Chambers has already confirmed a move to Japanese rugby union.

It is understood the Storm would also be willing to let centre Curtis Scott depart should he find another club — there has been talk Scott would embrace a move back to Sydney.

The changes at Brisbane, meanwhile, won’t include Glenn.

He has been a fixture at the Broncos for more than a decade and has the chance to pass the 300-game mark should he play for another two years.

While Glenn will be staying in Brisbane, Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans was quick to put some distance between himself and social media speculation of a move to the Broncos.

Cherry-Evans is locked into a long-term deal at the Sea Eagles and in no rush to leave. He was as surprised as anyone by rumours of talks with Brisbane.

Brisbane officials and Cherry-Evans’ management were quick to dismiss the speculation. So was Cherry-Evans as he fronted the media on Thursday morning while in camp with the Kangaroos.

“If I’m honest, 12 months ago this exact rumour popped up so again I’m very flattered a club of such prestige would chase a player like myself but I am very, very comfortable and very happy where I am at Manly. So it’s nice but I don’t know where it’s come from,” Cherry-Evans said.

“You’ve just got to laugh it off because I don’t know where it’s come from. Obviously social media plays a big part in it.”

Good, now make him the Captain. The Broncos are going into an extremely challenging next 12-24 months and a cool head is definitely needed.

One of his key KPI's in the role should be to foster a leadership culture and identify guys to work alongside him who can gradually take on more responsibility and eventually transition into the Captaincy/Leadership Group. Guys like Lodge, Fifita and Carrigan who can take over the reins when Glenn eventually steps back or steps down.

Last edited:
Glenn captain for his last contract (2yrs?) Lodge VC.

Haas, Carrigan & Fifita can battle it out over the next couple of years to become our long term captain.
Something tells me the club may say something about future captain to Fifi as part of this contract talk, or it could also be used as a bargaining tool with getting Haas to extend in a couple of years time.

Things are looking up!

Glenn is 100% my choice for captain and my favourite current bronco. The only issue is how his minutes will work and who will captain when he’s off. Fifita is a starter. Unless Glenn plays 60 minutes at lock.

Glenn is 100% my choice for captain and my favourite current bronco. The only issue is how his minutes will work and who will captain when he’s off. Fifita is a starter. Unless Glenn plays 60 minutes at lock.
Plenty of sides have had Captains who don't play 80 minutes. It's a total non-issue.

Last edited:
I imagine he will either be starting second row with fifita, or perhaps lock. Gillett shouldn't be in the 17 based on last years performance, but if he is, he will be on the bench. Fifita and Glenn starting second row with TPJ at lock. Paix, Gillett, Carrigan, Offa/Flegler on the bench is probably most likely. Unless they use Gillett in that utility role. I think we have enough players that can cover backline with Fifita and Glenn.

Throwing it out there, Croft as half back and Captain as the sweetener to get his deal over the line

He's a good fella Jordy. Lost his way a bit when he want to Cronulla. Bit odd when you see who we let go of and we bring him back.

Hell yeah. Scored two tries on debut and we never saw him play for the Broncos again. Would love to see him make a comeback.

Throwing it out there, Croft as half back and Captain as the sweetener to get his deal over the line

If we need to throw captaincy in to sign Croft, who should only be our stopgap halfback until someone better like Dearden is ready, then we are in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Socnorb
  • KnToad
  • lynx000
  • Morepudding
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • sooticus
  • Ondi
  • theshed
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.