Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think there is anything stopping a player from walking away from their contract,only when they want to keep getting paid.

And I think gilletts injury was pre existing so I'm guessing it will be counted against the cap if he remains contracted

Last edited:
I would imagine the day that Souffs get a clearance from the NRL to medically retire Burgess, the Broncos will probably go the same day with Gillo. The NRL are probably assessing both cases at once.

Last edited:
Yeah it still sucks. It's shit that the best thing for a long term dedicated clubman and gun player in his day is to call it quits in this manner. He deserved to go out on top of his game with a premiership ring after smashing the blues one more time, not as a footnote to our worst season in a bloody long time after spending most of the previous year on the sidelines.

When you put it like that, it really does suck.
[automerge]1572348337[/automerge]
Yeah it still sucks. It's shit that the best thing for a long term dedicated clubman and gun player in his day is to call it quits in this manner. He deserved to go out on top of his game with a premiership ring after smashing the blues one more time, not as a footnote to our worst season in a bloody long time after spending most of the previous year on the sidelines.

When you put it like that, it really does suck.

Last edited:
If I were the NRL, I would introduce a system where each of the three parties have their own doctor that assesses the players condition (NRL, player, club) and if all three unanimously agree that the player would be suffering great discomfort or risking further injury if they continued playing, that player can be medically retired immediately and their cap space is cleared.

We might see a sudden flurry of medical retirements from across the competition in the first few months as clubs take advantage and clean out all their old busteds, but then I think you would find it would be a fairly rare occurrence once that initial wave comes and goes. I mean to get unanimous agreement, you would have to be completely broken physically e.g JYY, McKinnon, Burgess and Gillett in order to get permission so it can't be abused.

I mean look at it this way, if you had three doctors standing in front of the NRL telling them "Look, if you force this guy to play on, you're putting him at further risk and yourself at risk of litigation.", I don't think the NRL could really say anything else.

Last edited:
Don't think there is anything stopping a player from walking away from their contract,only when they want to keep getting paid.

And I think gilletts injury was pre existing so I'm guessing it will be counted against the cap if he remains contracted
Nah they are saying the issue is his shoulder now.

I think something the NRL should so is not approve contracts longer than 2 years for players over 30... I mean, that's where the issue lies. Get a 30-31 year old. Give them way unders but a 5 year deal, knowing you can probably retire them in 1-2 years.

The NRL has to approve all contracts as it is, putting a 2-3 year limit for new contracts after 30 doesn't seem to bad...

Gees it’d be a sad day if Gillett was medically retired and went out on a 58-0 shellacking.

The bloke absolutely exploded onto the scene and has always been more than simply a bash and barge second rower (I know he played some centre, 6 and 13 but that’s not the point), he is an out and out footy player with a footy brain.

I know it’d help our cap situation (assuming the NRL approves it), but I can’t help but feel very bittersweet about it.

You can just tell, like JYY, he will go out exuding class and dignity like he’s had his entire career. Always been a selfless player and will do what he thinks is right for the team.

A real ornament to the game and a dying bread - far too many mercenaries nowadays.

Compare the pair.

Boyd and Gillett.

One looks after the fans, the other looks after his own profits.

On a serious note, I'll be pretty upset if Gillett retires, not because I don't think he's past it but he's always been a champion player for us who has exuded class on and off the field. Him and Glenn are arguably the two best role models at this club who I hope have post footy careers with us for a long time to come.

I think something the NRL should so is not approve contracts longer than 2 years for players over 30... I mean, that's where the issue lies. Get a 30-31 year old. Give them way unders but a 5 year deal, knowing you can probably retire them in 1-2 years.

The NRL has to approve all contracts as it is, putting a 2-3 year limit for new contracts after 30 doesn't seem to bad...
This is actually not a bad idea at all. Well done thinking outside the box. Maybe a 2 year contract limit after 30 and a one year limit after say 32?

The NRL is so big on being conservative and protectionist about the clubs finances, especially the Sydney clubs, so this would definitely fit in with that mentality.

Not sure that there wouldn't be some possible legal concerns to deal with, but it should definitely be an idea that's put on the table.

The RLPA would no doubt fight very hard against this though and you can obviously see why.

Last edited:
This is actually not a bad idea at all. Well done thinking outside the box. Maybe a 2 year contract limit after 30 and a one year limit after say 32?

The NRL is so big on being conservative and protectionist about the clubs finances, especially the Sydney clubs, so this would definitely fit in with that mentality.

Not sure that there wouldn't be some possible legal concerns to deal with, but it should definitely be an idea that's put on the table.

The RLPA would no doubt fight very hard against this though and you can obviously see why.
I don't like a 1 year limit. But 2 is reasonable. 1 is an issue incase they get like a non-serious, but long term injury. If someone gets injured and gonna spend 3-4 months on sideline, would be hard for th em to get work. 2 years is okay. Not going to be too much of a nightmare if medically retired, gives them a bit of job security etc.

Always a sad time when a champion has to call time, particularly when it's due to injury.
IF this is the case with Gillett, i can honestly say i have appreciated all that he has done for the club ... never a drama and always seemed to be busting his gut to get the result.
A real champion.

Mole saying Jamil Hopoate could be going back to Sydney. Thought he could play a Victor Radley type role at lock.

Mole saying Jamil Hopoate could be going back to Sydney. Thought he could play a Victor Radley type role at lock.

I like Hoppa, but he has so many blokes at lock in front of him here he stood next to no chance of getting a run. Reddy will miss him a hell of a lot.

Last edited:
He can, but it won't be for us. We've got middle Forwards for days.
[automerge]1572395298[/automerge]
I like Hoppa, but he has so many blokes at lock in front of him here he stood next to no chance of getting a run. Reddy will miss him a hell of a lot.
Yeah I feel bad for them way more than I do for the Broncos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • bb_gun
  • Hurrijo
  • Skyblues87
  • Astro
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncoFan94
  • Howie
  • cento
  • Kev_Guz
  • Robboi_321
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • mystico
  • heartly87
  • Dee
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.