Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I was looking further into TPAs and what players are able to do etc outside of the club, gifts seem to be where it's at for players. They can be gifted money from essentially anyone to stay.

Now a gift is determined as something that isn't claimed as a tax deduction by the person giving the gift, and that the gift doesn't involve any form of contract. This has been strongly hinted as what Politis does with the roosters.

Now, what I believe is something that can be done, is a fan (someone from this forum for instance) could set up a crowd funding campaign and to give the proceeds of that campaign to a Broncos player, in the hope that it keeps them at the club.

The Broncos average 30,000 people a game. Imagine if it were possible to get 30,000 people to put $10 towards this. That would be $300,000 raised. We could then say to someone (David Fifita) we will give you $100,000 for Christmas for every year you're at the Broncos.

Fairly sure that as the Broncos have nothing to do with it and there isn't a formal contract in place, this would fall outside of TPAs and wouldn't need NRL approval.

This is just all kinds of wrong and not how it works.

This is how the Storm got into their mess.

If a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

That means it would need NRL approval, and it would be counted towards the cap and if the club just simply can't afford the player because of no room in the cap then it's a waste of time.

I think the point of the gifts is that it doesn't need to be reported and it can't really be tracked as it doesn't need to be declared to the tax man.

The storm got done because they had a second set of books which were actually been used for tax purposes, gifts aren't taxed. That's basically what John Singleton said in his Matty Johns podcast about what Politis and his mates do for the roosters. They just put $100k in the bank, don't declare it as an expense or anything for tax, and the players don't declare it becaus it isn't income, it is just a present.

I think the point of the gifts is that it doesn't need to be reported and it can't really be tracked as it doesn't need to be declared to the tax man.

The storm got done because they had a second set of books which were actually been used for tax purposes, gifts aren't taxed. That's basically what John Singleton said in his Matty Johns podcast about what Politis and his mates do for the roosters. They just put $100k in the bank, don't declare it as an expense or anything for tax, and the players don't declare it becaus it isn't income, it is just a present.

I wonder if the NRL will actually look into that, or if they already know. I noticed how a lot of Roosters fans hated Gallop, but there's not a single peep about Greenburger.

There was that strange circumstance between the Sea Eagles and Brenda Dutchen. She was a defense lawyer who happened to be a fanatical Sea Eagles supporter and she sponsered a few of the Sea Eagles. Originally those deals were cleared by the NRL, but came under scrutiny during the salary cap probe.

I don't think it was ever specified whether the club was cleared of any wrong-doing with her, but it was a bizarre circumstance that seemingly flew in the face of what a TPA ought to be.

Last I heard, she represented Jade Walker (Dylan's sister) over manslaughter charges.

Last edited:
I wonder if the NRL will actually look into that, or if they already know. I noticed how a lot of Roosters fans hated Gallop, but there's not a single peep about Greenburger.
There's not really anything the NRL can do though. They can't stop people from giving people money for nothing. It's a christmas / birthday present. There wouldn't be anything on paper about it. Nothing that says "I will give you $100k if you play for the roosters", just so happens that while playing for the roosters, people give them really nice gifts.

Wasn't there an old lady the Sea Eagles players used to root do unmentionable things for money?

Wasn't there an old lady the Sea Eagles players used to root do unmentionable things for money?

Brenda Duchen.

She's a defence lawyer and the media tried to sell this image that she was being exploited by the players.

Brenda Duchen.

She's a defence lawyer and the media tried to sell this image that she was being exploited by the players.
Yeah there's a DT article from 2017 behind a paywall with quotes from her.

Which is another reason why the whole deal was so strange.

It's a fanatical supporter giving players from one club $100,000s
The NRL initially approved it despite it clearly raising some red flags

Then you've got the media treating her like she's some crazy granny wasting the family's money on a bunch of player's in a desperate bid for attention. When she's a (seemingly) successful lawyer who has done incredibly well for herself.

Last edited:
The old gifting trick is now able to be judged fair and reasonable in context by the ATO these days. It wont wash, but its a discounted lifestyle that becomes available. Memberships (star city/crown vip), discounts ($1 dollar flights because they purchased through a specific travel agent), access to cheaper building off the plan due to "slower market activity and needing to finish the development stage" etc. There's 100 ways to skin the cat, just depends how dirty you want to be.

Last edited:
Plus surely if going to that effort it would be to give Boyd the money for Xmas if he retires this off season.

If this is in fact what he is doing, it shows who our captain should have been for the past few years. A player who is willing to take an action which is not necessarily best for himself but is what is best for the team.

Gutted for him as i think some of the injuries he sustained were due to having to extend himself covering other players defensive deficiencies (i.e. niko) or putting a big hit on to fire up the team.

If this is in fact what he is doing, it shows who our captain should have been for the past few years. A player who is willing to take an action which is not necessarily best for himself but is what is best for the team.

Gutted for him as i think some of the injuries he sustained were due to having to extend himself covering other players defensive deficiencies (i.e. niko) or putting a big hit on to fire up the team.

Boyd is physically fine it’s just between the ears that he’s cooked so it’s slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • IceWorks
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • eazy-duzzit
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.