Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like a 1 year limit. But 2 is reasonable. 1 is an issue incase they get like a non-serious, but long term injury. If someone gets injured and gonna spend 3-4 months on sideline, would be hard for th em to get work. 2 years is okay. Not going to be too much of a nightmare if medically retired, gives them a bit of job security etc.
Yeah perhaps 1 year is too limited. It's an interesting idea though and one the NRL could definitely look at.

Souths are now up for $3.6 million to retire Burgess and even if it's outside the cap it's still part of their balance sheet. For poorer clubs that's a sum of money that could cause them significant headaches.
[automerge]1572397415[/automerge]
Burgess retires, as expected, freeing up cash for Fifita:

Fifita isn't available for another 12 months though and Burgess cap space is available right now.

Last edited:
Yeah perhaps 1 year is too limited. It's an interesting idea though and one the NRL could definitely look at.

Souths are now up for $3.6 million to retire Burgess and even if it's outside the cap it's still part of their balance sheet. For poorer clubs that's a sum of money that could cause them significant headaches.
[automerge]1572397415[/automerge]

Fifita isn't available for another 12 months though and Burgess cap space is available right now.
I assume forced medical retirements are covered by insurance.

Frizzell will go to the Rabbits, that works for both parties.

Frizzell will go to the Rabbits, that works for both parties.
Does it work for the Dragons? I get that he's apparently quite unhappy but that doesn't mean they can afford to release him?

Does it work for the Dragons? I get that he's apparently quite unhappy but that doesn't mean they can afford to release him?

Players have all the power. When was the last time a club refused to release a player?

Players have all the power. When was the last time a club refused to release a player?

Bennett refused to release Opacic 3 or 4 times, but he didn't want to leave at that time. If a player wants out it's difficult to keep them

i think tallis sat out the final year of his contract before joining brisbane

Oh yeah, how did we miss that one? Haha
Yep, he beat me to it, I was going to say our very own 5/8 was in that exact situation before he came to us.

Last edited:
So when I was looking further into TPAs and what players are able to do etc outside of the club, gifts seem to be where it's at for players. They can be gifted money from essentially anyone to stay.

Now a gift is determined as something that isn't claimed as a tax deduction by the person giving the gift, and that the gift doesn't involve any form of contract. This has been strongly hinted as what Politis does with the roosters.

Now, what I believe is something that can be done, is a fan (someone from this forum for instance) could set up a crowd funding campaign and to give the proceeds of that campaign to a Broncos player, in the hope that it keeps them at the club.

The Broncos average 30,000 people a game. Imagine if it were possible to get 30,000 people to put $10 towards this. That would be $300,000 raised. We could then say to someone (David Fifita) we will give you $100,000 for Christmas for every year you're at the Broncos.

Fairly sure that as the Broncos have nothing to do with it and there isn't a formal contract in place, this would fall outside of TPAs and wouldn't need NRL approval.

So when I was looking further into TPAs and what players are able to do etc outside of the club, gifts seem to be where it's at for players. They can be gifted money from essentially anyone to stay.

Now a gift is determined as something that isn't claimed as a tax deduction by the person giving the gift, and that the gift doesn't involve any form of contract. This has been strongly hinted as what Politis does with the roosters.

Now, what I believe is something that can be done, is a fan (someone from this forum for instance) could set up a crowd funding campaign and to give the proceeds of that campaign to a Broncos player, in the hope that it keeps them at the club.

The Broncos average 30,000 people a game. Imagine if it were possible to get 30,000 people to put $10 towards this. That would be $300,000 raised. We could then say to someone (David Fifita) we will give you $100,000 for Christmas for every year you're at the Broncos.

Fairly sure that as the Broncos have nothing to do with it and there isn't a formal contract in place, this would fall outside of TPAs and wouldn't need NRL approval.

I'm pretty sure your wrong on that ... I believe that anything that is used to entice a player to play for a certain club must be included on the clubs salary cap.

for a player to receive a TPA outside of the cap, it must be available to him regardless of the club he plays for ... not no Broncos fan is giving him money to play against us ...

otherwise, we could just get the thoroughbreds to ensure we never lose a bidding war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • eazy-duzzit
  • IceWorks
  • scobie
  • Battler
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.